Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

my 68 f100 build

This will end up being a pretty short build thread. the truck is pretty much finished at this point. Just thought id share .
      I started with a rust free, original paint v8, 3spd truck. I'm so tired of seeing all the crown vic swaps, so I kept the original frame. I had been saving an 09 gt500 Mustang to use as a donor and with the lack of wiring support in the aftermarket, I ended up using all the mustang wiring, from nose to tail in this truck.

Attached Images Attached Images    

first step was the tear down, I went with the tried and true front swap, using an 03 Marauder drop out. I ended up buying ridetech coilovers and I am currently waiting on Tobin at Kore3 to make me a pair of caliper brakets to put the GT500 Brembos on the Marauder spindle. Nothing too fancy, but a huge improvement on the original stuff and with the coilovers, it gets it pretty low.

the rear suspension is where I got a little more creative.. still sticking with the donor theme and keeping it all Ford. I used a drop out from a 2106 Mustang, giving me independent rear susp and rear discs. again using a set of ridetech coilovers.

engine and trans in. just had to make a pair of motor mounts and a combination of the truck trans xmember and the mustang mount. My only real regret here is that I opted to use the long tube headers that were on the mustang. I have the engine so low, that my collectors are only about 4 inches off the ground. after I drive it awhile I will probably buy a set of shorties and redo my exhaust. Right now I'm making them work and built a simple two into one out of three inch stainless and dumped it right in front of the rear axle.

Nice setup. I almost bought a 2017 mustang IRS before I went with my mark VIII stuff. Still not sure I did the right thing. Did you make brackets to bolt your rear subframe in or just weld it?
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Nice setup. I almost bought a 2017 mustang IRS before I went with my mark VIII stuff. Still not sure I did the right thing. Did you make brackets to bolt your rear subframe in or just weld it?[/QUOTE]

My first thought was to make brackets for it, but I couldn't get it low enough. I ended up notching the frame letting the cradle recess into it, then welding it solid. every piece of suspension and diff still unbolt and no bushings to go bad. I couldn't see a downside. Got the truck low and it drives and rides really well.
      I have the mark VIII stuff lying around as well, and its cheap. I figure, I gained 20 years of age and technology, and...the Mustang stuff isnt that expensive..

this is with all the dash wiring in, I retained all mustang dash switches, cluster, radio, heater controls etc... ac and heat coils, blower motor and resistor all taken from the mustang heater box and put into the f100 box. Temp controls are now in the glovebox because I couldn't find a way to make them look right in the dash.

skipping ahead to the under hood mostly finished.. I will detail the engine a little this spring, but for now just going to put some miles on it. Im not doing any paint work to the truck, so I don't want the underhood getting too fancy.

heres the interior shots.. Mustang column and switches, seats, sat radio etc..

this is the truck at ride height with the mustang wheels. Im still waiting on the caliper mounting brackets so I can put the mustang Brembos on the vic/ marauder spindles. Id really like to go to a steel wheel at some point, but hate to cover the brakes up. The rough had been rattle can painted a long time ago. I wet sanded the majority of it off, to expose the original paint... the rest of the truck is all original paint that I just buffed.

last two

Quote Originally Posted by jonesbs9 View Post
      last two
      Legit! Truck looks great.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here
      check out Opentracker Racing Products

I'm digging this. Quietly modern.

Any specific plans for what you'd like to do with it since it's running and driving or is it purely a cruiser? Also, if I may ask, what did you end up setting the ride height at?

Country Flag: Canada
      Love it man. Great job
      1971 chevelle LSA 700hp -

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      I'm digging this. Quietly modern.

Any specific plans for what you'd like to do with it since it's running and driving or is it purely a cruiser? Also, if I may ask, what did you end up setting the ride height at?
      As soon as the weather breaks i intend on driving it, may even take it on Poewer Tour this year. front crossmember is about 4 inches off the ground. so far it hasn't bottomed out and drives and rides really nice.

I like it! How's the width of the mustang rear end compare to the width of the crown vic front?

Looks fantastic. I really like it, and I bet it's going to ride and drive great. Going to raise a few eyebrows with the blown modular, I'd go with the steel wheels myself and keep it really sleeper style.
      Lucas Johnson

1972 Mach 1 552", my first car
      1974 F100 daily beater/race truck. 396" aluminum headed Ford FE
      1963 Riviera, 401" Nailhead, low and slow cruiser
      1970 Cadillac Coupe Deville, 472" road trip car

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_T View Post
      I like it! How's the width of the mustang rear end compare to the width of the crown vic front?
      I honestly never measured.. I can tell you this, Thats the set of gt500 wheels on the truck, with no spacers or modifications. fronts and rears are the same offset, the rears just have a bigger tire. the only mod to the wheel wells was rolling up the rear lip a little and a qtr inch off the very top inside of the wheel lip moulding. you cant tell its been messed with. no rubbing through full travel

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Mach1 View Post
      Looks fantastic. I really like it, and I bet it's going to ride and drive great. Going to raise a few eyebrows with the blown modular, I'd go with the steel wheels myself and keep it really sleeper style.
      I agree . it needs some 20 inch steels with a dog dish cap...just cant bring myself to blow a bunch of money for them.. I'm on the lookout for a set.

Important question: What did you do for your drive shaft? Specifically how did you get it to mount to the diff input with that CV mount?

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Important question: What did you do for your drive shaft? Specifically how did you get it to mount to the diff input with that CV mount?
      Factory Five makes an adaptor that bolts to the diff, then just bolt a standard flange ujoint to it. My gt500 already had a custom driveshaft, so it had the adaptor.. I just reused it and had a new shaft made. pretty simple

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com