Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded View

Country Flag: United States

1967 Cougar 5.3 LS Swap, Pro Touring style build on a budget

Long time lurker of this awesome forum. I picked up a 67 Cougar about 2 months ago. I'm really excited as this was my first car when I was 14. Its really ratty but I got it for $400. I wasn't sure what to do with it. I was going back and forth on if I should scrap it and find another chassis with less rust or build it. I finally decided after going to Cuba, and seeing all the crazy repair jobs and strange cars, that this hobby for me is all about fun. With that being said I picked up a 2003 Suburban last night for $860 that has the 5.3 iron block LS and a 4L60. I then went this morning and grabbed a cheap MIG from Harbor Frieght for all the rust repair I'm doing.

The initial plan is to get it running and driving for the Gambler 500. Then after thats over, keep upgrading it until its a badass pro touring car. I plan to do events in it like optima and Hot rod Power Tour. I shot some video of the project and will keep the forum updated with pics as well.

Here is the first project update on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LthtFCvovNU

Name:  cougarpt1.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  104.3 KB

Name:  cougarpt2.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  90.6 KB
      Lots of rust in the interior, looks like someone left the windows down for a decade.
      Name:  cougarpt4.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  122.4 KB
      Spare Fender I plan to use as patch panels as the curves match several places on the body.
      Name:  cougarpt6.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  123.0 KB

Name:  cougarpt7.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  113.3 KB
      Grabbed some cheap wheels from the junkyard to roll it around the shop.

Hope you guys like it, I'm excited to get it on the street.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com