Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by nemiissis View Post
      It seems to me that the new reform is rather well thought out and has good legal grounds. If any problems arise, you can always turn to a law firm that protects your rights.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I don't even know where to start to comment on this...So glad that you like your wise overlords telling you exactly how to live your life.

Andrew

Guilty ! until proven innocent, right ? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post
      Actually, I am moving out of California. The cost of living outside of California will give me more money to spend on go-fast parts.
      Move out of California.

Andrew
      That's what we just did. My wife and I kept the same jobs, make the same money, pay way less taxes and our kids will get a better education. We had a 3/3 with 1700 sq ft on 0.3 acre in CA with a one car garage. For the exact same price in VA we have 7000 sq ft on 0.5 acre and a 3 car garage. Now I don't have to deal with stupid car or gun laws and I have more money than ever to spend on toys. I understand a lot of people are afraid to make the jump but I will tell you from personal experience, the faster you get out the happier you will be.
      1969 Chevelle SS 396 & 2011 Chevrolet Corvette

I only made one mistake by moving out of California to Sun City West AZ, I should have moved many years ago. I'll never make that mistake again.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

You never have to smog a pre-1975 car in California, regardless of the engine year. You could still get busted for excessive noise though.
      And on 75 and later cars, there are 10’s of thousands of parts available that are CARB approved for use on emission controlled engines that can increase performance and not adversely affect the emissions output. With all of the new tech on new engines, there is no reason you can’t make more HP without increasing emissions. The new engines are that good.
      Improved performance and economy are why we swap the newer tech into our older cars, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 67-LS1 View Post
      You never have to smog a pre-1975 car in California, regardless of the engine year. You could still get busted for excessive noise though.
      And on 75 and later cars, there are 10’s of thousands of parts available that are CARB approved for use on emission controlled engines that can increase performance and not adversely affect the emissions output. With all of the new tech on new engines, there is no reason you can’t make more HP without increasing emissions. The new engines are that good.
      Improved performance and economy are why we swap the newer tech into our older cars, right?
      Modifying the engine on a pre-75 car isn't the issue. The vast majority of muscle cars and hot rods are pre-75, the issue is making 500-600+ HP and meeting this new sound law on an old car, and paying the penalties and inspection fees if a cops ear thinks your car may be too loud.

There is no need to make more noise than is necessary to make the HP you want. New cars make 700-800 HP with catalytic converters and mufflers that meet current noise requirements. And sound good.
      No reason an older car can’t do the same. IMO, only blatant, obnoxious vehicles will be ticketed.

There is no need to make more noise than is necessary to make the HP you want. New cars make 700-800 HP with catalytic converters and mufflers that meet current noise requirements. And sound good.
      No reason an older car can’t do the same. IMO, only blatant, obnoxious vehicles will be ticketed.
      And who decides what "blatant and obnoxious?"
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

So you prefer no more guys with 6-71 blown 582" big blocks, or 32 coupes with 50s style flat head V-8 popping off... ok I got it, every one get an LS. Even better every one get a Tesla Model S.

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
      So you prefer no more guys with 6-71 blown 582" big blocks, or 32 coupes with 50s style flat head V-8 popping off... ok I got it, every one get an LS. Even better every one get a Tesla Model S.
      I prefer the government not tell me how to live my life.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Well I assume the cop who would write the ticket would decide (so it is a very subjective opinion) on what is blatant and obnoxious. Like it’s always been, right?
      The law has been on the books since 2003? The difference now would be the path to a remedy and the cost of a ticket.
      I’m not against big blocks, blowers, big blocks WITH blowers. All are very cool. I’ve had loud cars before but never had a noise ticket. Same with my Harley. Loud as hell, never had a ticket.
      IMO, as its been the law since 2003, a cop would have to be a major D*** to write a noise ticket. And as it’s probably always been since we all started to mess with cars, when you do see a cop, take your foot out of it and hope for the best.

So why have laws that are not enforced? Just so the wise overlords can pat themselves on the back, and signal to their subjects how virtuous they are?
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Well I assume the cop who would write the ticket would decide (so it is a very subjective opinion) on what is blatant and obnoxious. Like it’s always been, right?
      The law has been on the books since 2003? The difference now would be the path to a remedy and the cost of a ticket.
      I’m not against big blocks, blowers, big blocks WITH blowers. All are very cool. I’ve had loud cars before but never had a noise ticket. Same with my Harley. Loud as hell, never had a ticket.
      IMO, as its been the law since 2003, a cop would have to be a major D*** to write a noise ticket. And as it’s probably always been since we all started to mess with cars, when you do see a cop, take your foot out of it and hope for the best.
      I agree, the cop has to be a D*** or you're just operating you vehicle in an irresponsible manner to get pulled over in the first place.

It just seems to me that Ca.gov has been pretty constant in there regulation and making it very difficult and costly to enjoy certain hobbies that they don't like or agree with, then turn right around and thumb their noses at other US.gov regulations. and ignore propositions that it's own Ca. citizens vote on, then come along with the loud exhaust BS.

We need a time out on anymore new regulations/laws.

So why have laws that are not enforced? Just so the wise overlords can pat themselves on the back, and signal to their subjects how virtuous they are?
      Yeah, that’s the truth. But above my pay grade.

Quote Originally Posted by conmax View Post
      it doesn't do much good to tell CA residents to move out of CA to solve their ticket problems.
      Yep. I live in California and I don't get hassled by the cops. Everyone loves to blow the smog check way out of proportion. If you lived here in southern California in the 70's and 80's you'd get it. Not being able to go outside and play at school because they called a stage 1 or stage 2 smog alert really sucked. I remember my chest hurting when I took a deep breath....at age 11, 12, etc, because of the bad air. Well there hasn't been any smog alerts called here in many years and there are many more cars here now, but they are all cleaner running. There are lots of people out here building cars within the rules mandated by the state.
      1973 Hurst Edition Pontiac Grand Am: 430 CI of ERL built LS7, Tremec Magnum T-56 6-speed, Global West / Speedtech Suspension, Custom rear coil-over suspension, QA1 double adjustable shocks, Wilwood 6/4 piston disc brakes, Modulare C1 19" concave wheels. Shooting for 625 HP and 20 MPG!

I don't plan on moving to Cali. I see that State as upside down and backwards. No offense to those that live there, it is beautiful, but there are too many restrictions and laws for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Later-A-body View Post
      Everyone loves to blow the smog check way out of proportion. If you lived here in southern California in the 70's and 80's you'd get it. Not being able to go outside and play at school because they called a stage 1 or stage 2 smog alert really sucked. I remember my chest hurting when I took a deep breath....at age 11, 12, etc, because of the bad air. Well there hasn't been any smog alerts called here in many years and there are many more cars here now, but they are all cleaner running. There are lots of people out here building cars within the rules mandated by the state.
      It's not the smog check that improved it, its the emission regulations on new vehicles. A few states that had smog check have eliminated them because the number of violations and net affect were insignificant.

The service stations don't like doing them because it's not profitable (on a per hour rate they lose money), unless of course, they are unscrupulous and use the opportunity to sell someone parts they don't need. And it costs the owner money as well. Plus, on OBDII vehicles, the systems will set a MIL light if something's not right. That just leaves an insignificant number of people that might alter their vehicles in a way that produces more than when it was stock. It's not worth the emissions it takes for everyone to drive down to a service station yearly. Total waste.

It's also ridiculous that exemptions are based on a model year, rather than vehicle age. An "antique car" is considered 25years and older by the insurance. Why not use that instead? Not too many people driving around in cars older than 1994 on regular basis.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      It's not the smog check that improved it, its the emission regulations on new vehicles. A few states that had smog check have eliminated them because the number of violations and net affect were insignificant.

The service stations don't like doing them because it's not profitable (on a per hour rate they lose money), unless of course, they are unscrupulous and use the opportunity to sell someone parts they don't need. And it costs the owner money as well. Plus, on OBDII vehicles, the systems will set a MIL light if something's not right. That just leaves an insignificant number of people that might alter their vehicles in a way that produces more than when it was stock. It's not worth the emissions it takes for everyone to drive down to a service station yearly. Total waste.

It's also ridiculous that exemptions are based on a model year, rather than vehicle age. An "antique car" is considered 25years and older by the insurance. Why not use that instead? Not too many people driving around in cars older than 1994 on regular basis.
      I drive my 66 10-12k miles per year but I get your point. I’m not sure why the decision was made to roll the “smog exempt” instead of leaving it fixed at 1975 like it was for years. But around the same time they also switched smog checks to every other year, so that helped. Also, new cars don’t have to be tested for the first 5 years.
      Most “smog shops” in California are “Test Only” and don’t do car repairs. And they get $30-50 bucks for what takes no more than 10 minutes of actual work. And they charge extra for the actual “Certificate”.? I think they love the business and compete for it, around here anyway.
      If your MIL is on, you can’t be tested. They send you away to get your car fixed.
      It sounds a lot more onerous than it is. And we do have WAY cleaner air.

In Arizona the smog check usually takes no more than 5 minutes at the most. They put you on the rollers, run it up for a few seconds, sniff you, closes your hood and you're done. $17.50, please, thank you, drive carefully.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post
      In Arizona the smog check usually takes no more than 5 minutes at the most. They put you on the rollers, run it up for a few seconds, sniff you, closes your hood and you're done. $17.50, please, thank you, drive carefully.
      Sounds like a revenue generation to me...
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

The $17.50 is a lot cheaper than the $59.95 for the smog inspection and the $8.50 for the certificate that you never see because it is electronic, in California where you really get a hosed. I never could figure out why the $8.50 hose job for the certificate that you never saw.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com