Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      The first citation should be free of fines, since there is no way to have your car pre-tested. You have to be cited first, only then you are allowed to make an appointment with the referee.
      This logic would require CA to have some common sense. Unfortunately, the politicians here have none.

Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post
      DMV will never know. But, if you get cited under the new law change for excessive noise and/or modified exhaust, you will have to get a certificate of compliance from a smog station regardless what year your car is or exempt from the biennial inspection. Do you think when you take your car to the smog inspection station for that certification of compliance on the noise violation they are not going to have a blind eye on the emissions devices and systems?
      My understanding is that ‘75 and earlier vehicles are only exempt from the biennial inspections, and that they’re technically still supposed to have all of the original smog equipment like the PCV system, EVAP system, air injectors, and cats. If it’s had an engine swap, I believe it’s also supposed to follow all the BAR rules for swaps.

With no inspections for these cars, there’s minimal chance that anyone gets in trouble for their engine swaps or elimination of the smog equipment. However, I’m sure that if you have to go to the BAR referee station for exhaust noise, they’ll look at everything. Also, if enough pre-‘75 vehicles show up with swaps or with all smog gear deleted, I’m sure that word of it will make it’s way to Sacramento and could eventually lead to an elimination of the smog test exemption for the older vehicles.

Going to the referee for sound could indeed be a “slippery slope” for all of us.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
      My understanding is that ‘75 and earlier vehicles are only exempt from the biennial inspections, and that they’re technically still supposed to have all of the original smog equipment like the PCV system, EVAP system, air injectors, and cats. If it’s had an engine swap, I believe it’s also supposed to follow all the BAR rules for swaps.

With no inspections for these cars, there’s minimal chance that anyone gets in trouble for their engine swaps or elimination of the smog equipment. However, I’m sure that if you have to go to the BAR referee station for exhaust noise, they’ll look at everything. Also, if enough pre-‘75 vehicles show up with swaps or with all smog gear deleted, I’m sure that word of it will make it’s way to Sacramento and could eventually lead to an elimination of the smog test exemption for the older vehicles.

Going to the referee for sound could indeed be a “slippery slope” for all of us.
      I believe it used to be that way. On the CA DMV website it specifically states that vehicles pre '75 are exempt from inspection, but no reference to having the vehicle inspected and sniffed if a LEO deems it necessary. That used to be in the wording, and it may still be there, but buried somewhere.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Motortrend did an article about it recently. To me sounds like 1975 and earlier cars are exempt from this new change, just like they are from smog checks. Quote below from MT.

"In conclusion, if you own a car that requires a smog certificate in order to register it (1976 and newer) and you have an exhaust that is loud enough to give law enforcement a reason to pull you over, you're getting fined! For now, this amendment won't have any effect on pre-smog-era cars (1975 and older)."

https://www.motortrend.com/news/cali...-need-to-know/
      Cheers
      Dustin

our cars are historic landmarks! Leave us alone Sacramento!!
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

it doesn't do much good to tell CA residents to move out of CA to solve their ticket problems.

I served my time in California for three years. I’m so glad I got out of there. Yeah, the weather is great. But, the traffic and cost-of-living is horrible! I would rather live in rural North Dakota.

A lot of "I think", "It's my understanding", "As I understand it", etc. Does anyone have a link to the actual statute?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      A lot of "I think", "It's my understanding", "As I understand it", etc. Does anyone have a link to the actual statute?
      If you're looking for the statute on what enforcement document the Law Enforcement Officer has to issue regarding an excessive noise or exhaust system modification, it is in Section 40610 of the California Vehicle Code (CVC).

For your convenience, this is the link to that statute: http://www.leginfo.legislature.ca.go...r=2.&article=4.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
      1975 and older cars are smog exempt in CA - this doesn't change. there is no smog check required regardless of what engine is in the car.

But not sure how this may impact engine swaps in 1975+ cars.

And move out of CA does seem like a pretty solid suggestion the way things are going here!
      Problem is a lot of other states seem to follow what CA does as far as smog rules and such.

Yeah - but you can live a lot better pretty much anywhere else. Housing here is out of touch and ready to collapse, too many restrictions on cars, guns, gender pronouns, etc etc - and OMG the taxes! It seems like we get taxed for everything... gas is $3.30 at my local station - in MD where im stationed it's $2.07 -- Taxes for plastic bags at the grocery store, taxes for breathing, car registration being based on mileage --- screw all that - I am planning on leaving very soon myself.
      1966 Chevrolet Chevelle 300 Deluxe 350 / 350 auto

1968 Dodge Charger SRT8 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed

1964 Dodge Polara 8-71 Blown 440 / 4-speed

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.4L / 5-speed

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed

Quote Originally Posted by Rolling_Thunder View Post
      Yeah - but you can live a lot better pretty much anywhere else. Housing here is out of touch and ready to collapse, too many restrictions on cars, guns, gender pronouns, etc etc - and OMG the taxes! It seems like we get taxed for everything... gas is $3.30 at my local station - in MD where im stationed it's $2.07 -- Taxes for plastic bags at the grocery store, taxes for breathing, car registration being based on mileage --- screw all that - I am planning on leaving very soon myself.
      Also, don't forget about the new tax coming our way, 25 cents on a drinking cup.

I'm so glad that I am buying and moving to Arizona.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

Dont forget CA also wants to charge us tax for using text messages!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/tech/...tax/index.html
      1970 VW Bug - Just your average mid engine Bug
      Track toy - 06 Evo - E85 and lots of boost
      Newest track toy - 2021 Supra

Quote Originally Posted by chevelletiger View Post
      The weather is too nice to leave.
      Only reason I'm still here. 1 hour ago I was walking my dog in a t shirt.

Gotta love the extra tax for considering all trucks commercial vehicles........even ford rangers.....you know because of all the weight.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

The new noise laws are targeting newer cars with modified exhausts; removing the cat's, resonators, etc, and the coffee can rice burners.
      As long as you're running a street legal 92db muffler (which I am running in a 66 coupe) it shouldn't be a problem. Running a 98db in a 2014 5.0 or SS is gonna draw attention. As for pre75, having dealt with BAR, the year of the car is what matters, they stopped going by engine year back in the late 80's. So an LS or coyote in an early coupe shouldn't be an issue...because the car is smog exempt. In CA, the rules are simple, if it came that way from the factory (post 76) then it's required, PERIOD, yes, down to the properly colored vacuum check valve. This is funny, the 78-79 Trans Ams and Z28s are a big craze, I've seen too many folks make an out of state auction purchase and scratch their heads when they fail CA smog test and can't register the car because of a check valve. Deviate without an EO part number it becomes illegal. Don't break the rules, and then complain about it when you get caught. Here's a great example of our state's creative revenue generating ideas, Ive owned a diesel for years and was smog exempt for years, now its irritating to have a tech lift my hood, say yep its all there, and then hand them $75 for a 1 min inspection, but it's the rules.

Guys, at the expense of passing inspection on used cars. Tell me, maybe there are some tips? And what about the cost? Does it depend on the brand of car? And , I read several articles about vehicle inspection app that help pass the inspection. Maybe someone used?

You guys should see this video. About the noise law.

https://youtu.be/xUa1jIVlQ_o

Has anyone been busted for this so far?

Quote Originally Posted by nemiissis View Post
      It seems to me that the new reform is rather well thought out and has good legal grounds. If any problems arise, you can always turn to a law firm that protects your rights.
      I don't even know where to start to comment on this...So glad that you like your wise overlords telling you exactly how to live your life.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com