Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
    The first citation should be free of fines, since there is no way to have your car pre-tested. You have to be cited first, only then you are allowed to make an appointment with the referee.
    This logic would require CA to have some common sense. Unfortunately, the politicians here have none.

Quote Originally Posted by nokones View Post
    DMV will never know. But, if you get cited under the new law change for excessive noise and/or modified exhaust, you will have to get a certificate of compliance from a smog station regardless what year your car is or exempt from the biennial inspection. Do you think when you take your car to the smog inspection station for that certification of compliance on the noise violation they are not going to have a blind eye on the emissions devices and systems?
    My understanding is that ‘75 and earlier vehicles are only exempt from the biennial inspections, and that they’re technically still supposed to have all of the original smog equipment like the PCV system, EVAP system, air injectors, and cats. If it’s had an engine swap, I believe it’s also supposed to follow all the BAR rules for swaps.

With no inspections for these cars, there’s minimal chance that anyone gets in trouble for their engine swaps or elimination of the smog equipment. However, I’m sure that if you have to go to the BAR referee station for exhaust noise, they’ll look at everything. Also, if enough pre-‘75 vehicles show up with swaps or with all smog gear deleted, I’m sure that word of it will make it’s way to Sacramento and could eventually lead to an elimination of the smog test exemption for the older vehicles.

Going to the referee for sound could indeed be a “slippery slope” for all of us.

Country Flag: United States

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
    My understanding is that ‘75 and earlier vehicles are only exempt from the biennial inspections, and that they’re technically still supposed to have all of the original smog equipment like the PCV system, EVAP system, air injectors, and cats. If it’s had an engine swap, I believe it’s also supposed to follow all the BAR rules for swaps.

With no inspections for these cars, there’s minimal chance that anyone gets in trouble for their engine swaps or elimination of the smog equipment. However, I’m sure that if you have to go to the BAR referee station for exhaust noise, they’ll look at everything. Also, if enough pre-‘75 vehicles show up with swaps or with all smog gear deleted, I’m sure that word of it will make it’s way to Sacramento and could eventually lead to an elimination of the smog test exemption for the older vehicles.

Going to the referee for sound could indeed be a “slippery slope” for all of us.
    I believe it used to be that way. On the CA DMV website it specifically states that vehicles pre '75 are exempt from inspection, but no reference to having the vehicle inspected and sniffed if a LEO deems it necessary. That used to be in the wording, and it may still be there, but buried somewhere.
    VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Motortrend did an article about it recently. To me sounds like 1975 and earlier cars are exempt from this new change, just like they are from smog checks. Quote below from MT.

"In conclusion, if you own a car that requires a smog certificate in order to register it (1976 and newer) and you have an exhaust that is loud enough to give law enforcement a reason to pull you over, you're getting fined! For now, this amendment won't have any effect on pre-smog-era cars (1975 and older)."

https://www.motortrend.com/news/cali...-need-to-know/
    Cheers
    Dustin

our cars are historic landmarks! Leave us alone Sacramento!!
    1971 Camaro - 406
    2016 Camaro SS convertible
    2018 Colorado 4x4

it doesn't do much good to tell CA residents to move out of CA to solve their ticket problems.

I served my time in California for three years. I’m so glad I got out of there. Yeah, the weather is great. But, the traffic and cost-of-living is horrible! I would rather live in rural North Dakota.

A lot of "I think", "It's my understanding", "As I understand it", etc. Does anyone have a link to the actual statute?
    Steve Hayes
    "Dust Off"
    68 Camaro

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
    "Jeremy Clarkson"

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
    A lot of "I think", "It's my understanding", "As I understand it", etc. Does anyone have a link to the actual statute?
    If you're looking for the statute on what enforcement document the Law Enforcement Officer has to issue regarding an excessive noise or exhaust system modification, it is in Section 40610 of the California Vehicle Code (CVC).

For your convenience, this is the link to that statute: http://www.leginfo.legislature.ca.go...r=2.&article=4.

--
    Kenny Mitchell
    nokones@kenmitchell.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2