Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Custom AMC front A arms

Im looking to get custom tubular control arms for my Hornet
      Since its a strut rod design im thinking the better route would be a 1 piece lower like how ridetech did the mustang arms vs separate strut rod and lower
      Now my question is whats better for the lowers bushing type
      UMI Rotojoint
      Or
      QaI Endura XM chromoly heim joints/rods ends

They both have the similar material race to help isolate wear and vibration
      Delrin vs teflon/nylon

72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

Do you plan on making them yourself ?
      I corresponded with ridetech about 8yrs. ago regarding arms for AMC's but I think they were too busy and the AMC market is too small. Maybe now they will?
      I stuck with the stock lower and used a modified johnny joint for the arm and a ball joint for the strut rod. I have seen quite a few rod ends used. I also built a custom upper using delrin bushings. This was all 7-8 yrs. ago before freakride.

Honestly if I had to do it again I would just call Freakride and be done with it. They get rid of the strut rod. If you stick with the strut rod and use a bushing on the lower arm and try to crank up the caster it will just tear up the bushing (delrin or urethane). Total Control lower mustang arms fix this issue. I duplicated what they did. I think ridetech mustang arms relocate the ball joints to increase caster. I also did this with the upper arm on my design.
      Long story short, unless you are willing to re-engineer both arms you won't be able to dial in much caster. At this point Freakeride starts looking pretty good. Better spindle w/ more brake options etc. I'm not sold on the r&p they use but maybe you can still use the saginaw box.

Freakride is overpriced for what their m2 kit is..
      For same price id rather get a full weld in front clip from AME
      And for their modified stock, they dont seem to lffer an el carte

Theirs a guy in theamcforum who made a custom upper but he didnt bother tontake advantage of using say a howl tall ball joint or Chrysler screw in nor built in negative camber
      But he did make it adjustable via threaded hiem joints.
      72 buick skylark

Yeah trying to source out the work
      Id rather stick with the GM box and get rebuilt by lee or ats

Btw
      Sweet arms
      So you used a Johnny joint
      Just on lower arms?
      Both pivot points? Or just the strut rod side?
      72 buick skylark

I just wandered over to freakride and yes it is kinda spendy. I thought it was less but that was years ago last time I looked. AME front clip puts you into the "cant bring it back" category. Not that AMX's are appreciating much but this one was just too solid to cut.

The lower bushing is a jj ball and urethane bushing cut to fit a custom outer shell welded in the arm. The jj application is the jeep track bar. The camber adjuster bolt is 9/16.

The strut rod is a chrysler small ball joint in place of the bushing. I machined an adjuster and threaded the old strut rod.

Its all here http://s248.photobucket.com/user/amx...?sort=6&page=1

Bump
      72 buick skylark

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by amx2334 View Post
      I just wandered over to freakride and yes it is kinda spendy. I thought it was less but that was years ago last time I looked. AME front clip puts you into the "cant bring it back" category. Not that AMX's are appreciating much but this one was just too solid to cut.

The lower bushing is a jj ball and urethane bushing cut to fit a custom outer shell welded in the arm. The jj application is the jeep track bar. The camber adjuster bolt is 9/16.

The strut rod is a chrysler small ball joint in place of the bushing. I machined an adjuster and threaded the old strut rod.

Its all here http://s248.photobucket.com/user/amx...?sort=6&page=1
      How has the ball joint held up under use? My Riviera uses the same type suspension and I'm strongly considering this or the ridetech spherical bearing approach.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      Experimental Physicist

'64 Riviera T-type: 4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 OBDII SEFI swap

ROA# 9790

I think if any AMC guy is looking to upgrade suspension, it can be done is several stages. Also depends on if you have old Trunion or newer 70 and up upper ball-joint with anti-dive geometry.

I have a 69 javelin that works amazingly with while still maintaining the trunion, but it certainly could be better. I’ve boxed the lower control arms, replaced all bushings with polly, increased spring rates, updated brakes with the aerospace kit, and upgraded the sway bar.
      A user over on the AMC forum is selling these, and I’m about to order up a set. I think this is a great upgrade to any AMC with intentions of spirited driving.
      http://amccars.net/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl...23220958/90#90
      Name:  NEW-SRE.jpeg
Views: 3697
Size:  468.7 KB

The CF stuff is great, but it is expensive! Add to that I would need new headers to clear the steering rack and a few other changes, and it’s a bit too far for what I’m willing to change at this point. If I were earlier in a build it might be different.

I love what amx2334 has fabricated; I believe that was a conversion from trunion to an upper ball joint suspension correct? I am actually currently building a jig from a trunion suspension to begin fabricating myself a new upper control arm using 70 and up suspension uprights and a longer mopar-style upper ball joint.
      I have most of the parts, I just need some spare time in the Garage :P

On 1970 and up AMC suspensions, I don’t think its bad enough to need complete replacement for most hot street cars. The geometry is relatively good, but boxing in control arms, updating the bushings, and replacing the spring and shock with a coil-over would seem to be a relatively simple and worthwhile effort.
      If you would ever want to go real high-end that’s another story. Then it would be great to graft in modern vette stuff, Detroit speed suspension, or update to a new Schwartz chassis.
      http://www.detroitspeed.com/X-Gen-Pr...X-gen-535.html

THe biggest issue I see with the stock AMC stuff is no or little anti-dive and not enough caster adjustment. There was an article on Ronnie Kaplan's early development of the 68 Javelin for Trans Am where he actually copied the inner fender panel pickup points from a mustang and had AMC do a limited run of inner fender panels. They were actually listed in AMC race parts literature. The new panels relocated the upper arms for more caster and anti-dive.

I have tried to develop my own strut rod for more caster, but the arcs of travel are just so different.I think the factory relied on the flex in the lower control arms and rubber bushings to compensate for it. I don't know how other's make it work without breaking something. I read a great article about a magazine author's 66 Chevelle track car that began breaking the rear control arm brackets after switching to solid arms and poly bushings.

To Clarify, the anti dive geometry problem is only on 69 and Older cars. It's basically 'fixed' for the 70 and later cars. The Kaplan fix was used for the '69 season basically, and moved to production for 1970.
      On my '69 I'll gain caster via fabrication of the top A-Arm and I'll be able to lean the suspension upright toward the rear of the car about 4 degrees. I'll have no improvements for anti-dive however. Yeah, pushing that lower arm to far forward with added strut rod length would put too much bind in that lower attachment bushing. It would also put even more bind in the upper trunion.

One option is to use a mono-ball in the lower control arm in place of the rubber or Poly bushing.

At any rate, I have all the parts I need to begin building my front suspension jig this weekend!

Well, if anyone is interested I've invested a few hundred dollars, and fair amount of time into Fabricating new A-Arms to convert my AMC trunions to upper ball joints.
      Yesterday I built a jig that duplicates the front upright, trunion, and upper control arm position using the geometry currently in my '69 Javelin.
      I'll use this jig to place the 1970 suspension upright, and connect the upper control arms to that. I'm building in some caster when fabricating the new A-arms as well, it's all just science experiments at this point, It's been very interesting so far.

My car has shorter springs, and is lowered about 1.5 inches. My stock upper a-arm with '69 trunion suspension are at about 2 degrees at the current ride height.
      I ordered the QA1 screw in upper ball joints with the mid-length stud. A quick check with the 1970 suspension upright in place with the new upper ball joint shows me about 4 degrees with the new upper A-arm, so a bit more camber gain.

Here is something odd, my car is about an inch and a half lower than stock, so a stock pre-70 front suspension would have the opposite of camber gain for the first few degrees of front suspension travel. That can't be good?

Now that I'm this far I'm going to measure the lower suspension, this will give me the ability to throw all this info in CAD and figure out roll center and a few other things. This is fun:D
      If anyone wants more detail let me know, happy to spend some time typing it in here if anyone want's to know.

Cheers
      Mike

Hey mike. I am very interested to see what you come up with. I have a 65 rambler american that i have been looking for ideas on what to do with those trunions, the suspension is the same as your 69. I have thought about just removing the shock tower from a 70 and up amc and welding that in and using the factory knuckle and upper arm and then put a coilover on it. There is a thread on here about the car. Thanks for you info and sharing the love of amc.

Greg, I'll keep you posted then. Your idea of grafting a 70 and up shock tower is a good one, but would take some careful fabrication.
      I have the Jig built that emulates my stock geometry. I've placed the 1970 upright/knuckle in the jig with the rod-ends and QA1 ball joint and screw-in collar. Now I'll need to have some DOM tubing bent to basically connect the dots.

Here is the jig with the stock suspension held at my current ride height and geometry.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is the 1970 upright with the new parts showing the basic configuration of the new parts.
      A couple things to note, I will not be welding the A-Arms, I'll have a qualified expert doing that.
      I'll be testing these for several months before any consideration of making something for anyone else. Even then, I have concerns on safety and liability issues should something go wrong.

I've been wondering how the small custom fabrication shops deal with potential liability of custom suspension?
      Maybe I could just loan out the jig and supply a parts list?

At any rate, I did some basic measurements and it looks like this will work out. With the stock configuration the upper A-Arm was at about 2 degrees, with the upper ball joint I've chosen the new upper A-Arm will be at about 4 degrees given current ride height. I can get a longer stud for the QA1 ball joint and increase that even more should I choose to do so.
      I'm also building the upper control arm with 5 degrees of caster. On the old trunions the more caster you dial in the more binding you get, so as my car sits now, there isn't much caster at all.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Finally had some time to work on this, first one fabricated, and tacked together.
      Name:  image_47379.jpg
Views: 3611
Size:  136.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
      Finally had some time to work on this, first one fabricated, and tacked together.
      Name:  image_47379.jpg
Views: 3611
Size:  136.8 KB
      Seriously? You're just going to tease us with a section of the SST in the background?
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

It's just an old Rambler.
      Name:  image_41069.jpg
Views: 3283
Size:  157.9 KB

Upper Arms Done, Now to focus on how to mount the coil-over.
      Name:  Finished-Aarm2_small.jpg
Views: 4769
Size:  191.0 KB

Hello, just joined for this topic. Cool to see. Had a couple of questions for mike343sharpstick. First, where did touch get that hood scoop? Can you get me One? And next, you mentioned the angle ufo your upper a-arms going from 4 degrees,to 2. So, are the arms still lower at the ball joint side, than at the car Side? If so, have you checked out your clearances for lowering,at car side? Thanks.......mike

Hey all, just following up here. I have the completed front suspension on my car and it's even better than expected.
      I've been working on this on-and-off for a long time, but I didn't want to say anything until I had something interesting to report.
      I've had the car on the road for a few weeks now, and it's so much fun to drive. Interesting the ride quality is better now with rod-ends in the upper control arms, than With the trunion suspension in place with Poly bushings.

I'm setting a few things up so I can sell them to other who may be interested, I'll post more when I have that ready.

Smiley, To answer a few questions. The hood was made from the original mold used by Ronnie Kaplan for the '69 TA Javelins. The current owner of that mold was gracious enough to make one for me. Unlikely he will make any more unfortunately, He is a busy guy, and fortunately he lives near by and I drove over to get it. He doesn't do shipping and all that.

I'm using the QA1 Ball joint with a longer stud, this raises the a-arms on the ball-joint end. This will give better geometry at ride height, and a more aggressive camber curve. I can also dial in high caster angles as well, this is a significant improvement. I've checked every conceivable clearance for full suspension travel, lock to lock steering, etc. All is well and I can fit a 245/45-17 and perhaps even larger now.
      With the coil-over in place, I can adjust suspension damping, ride height, and change out spring rates easily and inexpensively.

Admittedly the only thing I've not improved is anti-dive. That would require changing the mounts for the upper A-arm. On an AMC chassis this would require a bunch of fabrication. Perhaps I'll do this on the next car, but not on this one.

I'll try and post a pic with the new lower ride-height out front.
      Cheers all.
      Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com