Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

First go at the Pro Touring thing - 67 Camaro RS Convertible

After 37 years of primarily drag racing Chevy Chevelles and Camaros (still have my 70 SS396 Chevelle no-tubbed race car from 10th grade 1981, and my 69 Z28 X77 tubbed race car from later in life), I recently bought a 67 Camaro RS Convertible street car. Mommy won't let our 3 and 6 year old girls ride in the race cars so the 67 RS was bought primarily to introduce them to riding around in muscle cars via using it to drive them to and from school, around town, etc. It has a 355 cid SBC with aluminum heads and FITECH 400 hp system, 4-speed auto, 10-bolt single track, factory front discs, and some make of retrofit rear disc with e-brake function. It has 15 inch rally wheels with BFG radials. The girls and I love the free-revving burnouts and the overall experience, but the brakes and handling are poor, I prefer manual trans on the street, and I like the pro-touring look you guys have developed and am craving the 335 rears and lowered look I've seen here and on the DSE site for years.

So...I just bought a new-build 434 cid SBC with Dart SHP block, forged 4340 internals, and Dart aluminum heads, 10.5:1 CR, solid street roller cam, etc., that dynoed at about 625 hp with a single Holley carb. I have priced out a Holley Sniper EFI system and related components. I have priced out a 6-speed manual trans kit with Jack at SST. I have priced out 12-bolt and Dana 60 rear diffs with Strange and Moser, and brakes with Wilwood. I'm in the process of pricing out DSE and ridetech kits. I want to do the mini-tub, 4-link, and complete front and rear coil-over kits with bigger disc brakes and 18-inch wheels and radials. I am struggling with wheel choices not because I can't find ones I like but the prices of the ones I like are about 3 to 5 times what I've been paying for drag racing wheels over the years...ouch...welcome to another more expensive game.

Jack from SST recommended a local rod shop close to him to do all this work and so far I like the guy from our discussions. He's about 8 hours from our home in Raleigh, NC but his prices are reasonable, he comes highly recommended by Jack, and he's been responsive to my calls and emails. If anyone can recommend someone like that in or closer to Raleigh please do.

Please help a muscle car brother out with some good advice on all of the potential selections and issues I will deal with other than "sell it and don't do it..." You only live once. If someone has an already-done car they think I should buy and sell this one then go ahead and email me all the info. I've already had some people tell me I shouldn't change this car from stock but it already has non-stock drivetrain and paint color so I'm not feeling the guilt. It is a real RS Convertible that's been in AZ all or most of its life with no rust I can see other than a small spot under the windshield at the corner of the dash pad in front of the driver.

Thanks,
      Charley

Name:  left1.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  178.4 KB

Name:  front2.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  256.2 KB

Name:  right_rear.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  227.2 KB

Name:  gauges.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  115.4 KB

Name:  shifter.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  155.1 KB

Name:  engine1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  149.4 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Hey mate, welcome onboard, I'm down just north of Charlotte, actually about 20 minutes from DSE. There is one shop I highly recommend in troutman, Ambition road, he did a lot of fab work on my car and the guy specializes in DSE parts, he's dealer for them, because he worked for them for 11.5 years. no-one can install their parts as fast, and as well as this guy, he could probably quote the job fairly accurate as well. The problem is he has been 'discovered' since he worked on my car and he's now getting booked out months in advance.
      Just a thought if you're trying to find a shop closer to Raleigh.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com