Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      I know this thread is asking about getting a running engine, but just an FYI and something to try if you're one of the guys looking for a "core"....check with your local dealership. I run the service dept. at a Chevy/Caddy dealer, and we sell LS cores for $500. Most the time it's a 5.3 or 6.0 that had a roller seize and take out a cam, but with 100k miles a lot of people just go for a new long block. We've got a few car guys working here so they get snatched up pretty quick, but I've got a 5.3 sitting in my buddies shop and also a good running 350 Vortec I scored for $50 from work, and that's what we charge customers to get the old crap out of the parts department.

Lucas Johnson

1972 Mach 1 552", my first car
      1974 F100 daily beater/race truck. 396" aluminum headed Ford FE
      1963 Riviera, 401" Nailhead, low and slow cruiser
      1970 Cadillac Coupe Deville, 472" road trip car

The crate vs used decision gets even tougher if you want something other than a stock configuration, like a stroker crank (or destroked) for more/less cubes, forged pistons for nitrous or boost, or a dry sump for serious track use.
      If items like these are on your engine “wish list”, then it’s going to be even more difficult to find best deal, and it may skew the things toward a core engine that needs rebuilt anyway.

found an ls2 from a 2007 vette for 3k. after refreshing, i had 7k in it. could have got a new ls3 for about the same.

Did you get the accessories with the LS2? What about the harness and ECM?

If the engine needed building then I would expect a lower price to begin with. If you just added bearings and cleaned up the cylinders for peace of mind, that's a different story. I may be in the minority, but for my part I would only go the junkyard route if I'm planning to drop it in and drive. But we all approach this differently.
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

It all depends what a used LS(x) comes with. For example, if a used running $3k LS2 comes with accessories/wiring/ECU, then the price is not too bad; considering a new 430hp LS3 crate does not come with accessories/wiring/ecu (those are $2500 extra). So $3k LS2 running vs $10k running new LS3. Quite a price difference.

At the end, it's all depends on your budget and what your plans are.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Just FYI. On CorevetteForums in the C3 parts for sale section a person listed a 5.3 rebuilt for $2500. Do not know anything about other than the post.

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
      The crate vs used decision gets even tougher if you want something other than a stock configuration, like a stroker crank (or destroked) for more/less cubes, forged pistons for nitrous or boost, or a dry sump for serious track use.
      If items like these are on your engine “wish list”, then it’s going to be even more difficult to find best deal, and it may skew the things toward a core engine that needs rebuilt anyway.
      This!! Yes, you can get a STOCK ls3 crate 430hp engine, MINUS accessories, ecm, and harness! That 7k crate engine needs $2500 worth of stuff to make it run, then you have a new engine for $9500.
      The ls2 i am looking at, has TEA 2.5 heads (~$1800), mamo spec'd cam ($500), mamo ported FAST intake and TB ($2000), and he will give me the tune for it as well.
      Granted, I have to buy all acc, harness, and pcm. I am getting a 500whp low mile engine for less than the cost of a stock crate ls3, not much less, but its not an apples to apples comparison either.

Quote Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
      It all depends what a used LS(x) comes with. For example, if a used running $3k LS2 comes with accessories/wiring/ECU, then the price is not too bad; considering a new 430hp LS3 crate does not come with accessories/wiring/ecu (those are $2500 extra). So $3k LS2 running vs $10k running new LS3. Quite a price difference.

At the end, it's all depends on your budget and what your plans are.
      This seems to be the debate some are missing on here...

Quote Originally Posted by redbull396 View Post
      This!! Yes, you can get a STOCK ls3 crate 430hp engine, MINUS accessories, ecm, and harness! That 7k crate engine needs $2500 worth of stuff to make it run, then you have a new engine for $9500.
      The ls2 i am looking at, has TEA 2.5 heads (~$1800), mamo spec'd cam ($500), mamo ported FAST intake and TB ($2000), and he will give me the tune for it as well.
      Granted, I have to buy all acc, harness, and pcm. I am getting a 500whp low mile engine for less than the cost of a stock crate ls3, not much less, but its not an apples to apples comparison either...
      Especially when you can verify that the engine runs (dyno/vehicle test drive, etc...), the asking price of $3500 is a good deal. I'd jump on that.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Forgot to mention it has an ati 10% damper, and 42lb injectors, that’s another $800 bucks in add ons

L99 and trans $6000

I have a 2014 L99 engine and 4L60E transmission with 18,000 miles. For $6000
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com