Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      I'm not so much interested in a 100% electric, I'm more interested in a hybrid set up. For her current car my wife chose a Lexus hybrid which I initially thought was a really bad idea. But after driving it for the past two years I have changed my mind about hybrids. I have actually spoken with Kevin Otise about a hybrid install a couple of years ago. At the time it was very cost prohibitive but I suspect it will become more common in time. I suspect it is just a matter of time before someone comes out with a kit to retrofit older cars to electric or hybrid drive.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I am going out on a limb to make a prediction. Forward thinkers like Rob MacGregor will soon think about the advantages of electric power for autocross, and will build cars with all wheel drive and lightning fast corner to corner acceleration, and smooth regenerative braking without heating up the rotors.

A well designed purpose built electric autocross car with a classic body will be unbeatable with conventional gasoline powered RWD cars. There will need to be distinct classes to separate conventional from electric cars.

I don't like electric cars, but recognize the performance potential.

It is already happening...

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/s....php?t=2556625

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I lost my car (a chic as usual). An electric drivetrain was to nice . I keep wanting to do it again . it is nothing but thrust .
      800 Amp Time Attack Thunderbird

After spending $600 on golf cart batteries last summer, I shudder at the thought of replacing them on a full-size vehicle.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Well Ford has the GT with a hybrid road race car ,And Tesla has a sports car coming out. So down the line there will be more.

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      After spending $600 on golf cart batteries last summer, I shudder at the thought of replacing them on a full-size vehicle.

I think we can all agree electric power trains have performance capability. But I won’t even think about electric until I can get the range and the ability to recharge with ease. Haven’t done too much research, but I don’t understand how these cars don’t have systems to keep them charged as you drive? Can you imagine needing to recharge the battery in a gas car every time you drive it?? Good lord!!
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

It's refreshing to see a thread about electric cars without the usual "When they take the gas nozzle from my cold dead hands" comments.

I for one would be excited to have a 60-70's era car retrofit with an electric drivetrain. They've already shown that when properly done they can stomp the cookies out of a fuel powered vehicle. For me the goal would be for it to have a daily mileage range equal to a fuel car or incredible performance depending on how one flipped the switch.

The thing is we need to have progressive thought on this subject if we want to drive the cars we love. The threat isn't running out of fossil fuel. The threat is countries will legislate it out of existence long before it runs out. We can either adapt or resign ourselves to rubbing wax on a non running garage decoration.
      Tracey

I really had not given any thought to electric cars at all till my brother got his Tesla Model 3 two weeks ago. I can see what the hype is about them, fun to drive for sure and the braking system works surprisingly well, has something to do with the motors helping it stop along with the brakes.
      Miles Boyer
      The car hobby is dangerous,if the speed doesn't kill you, the cost of parts will.
      91 V8 S10
      88 Cutlass Pro-Tour
      97 Chevy lifted Z-71
      96 Corvette

I'm looking forward to the simplicity, low maintenance, low operating cost, and long life of electric cars of the near future. However, I will NEVER convert my muscle car to electric. NEVER.

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      I think we can all agree electric power trains have performance capability. But I won’t even think about electric until I can get the range and the ability to recharge with ease. Haven’t done too much research, but I don’t understand how these cars don’t have systems to keep them charged as you drive? Can you imagine needing to recharge the battery in a gas car every time you drive it?? Good lord!!
      I am having a hard time understanding what you are saying. How can an electric vehicle keep itself charged anymore than a gasoline vehicle keep itself fueled? You have to refuel gas cars every so often......no different than having to recharge an electric for a similar amount of miles (except you can do it at home!). Electrics now have over 300 miles of range. In the case of Tesla, they've got a few thousand supercharger stations, so if you are going cross country, you stop for 20 minutes, get 80% of your range charged while you grab lunch, and keep going. For the other 364 days per year, just plug it up when you get home.

I LOVE electrics. I would have bought a Tesla S a year ago if the ergonomics were better. As it is, my BMW is up for sale now, and when it goes, I'll likely buy a Tesla 3.

Dream project would be a 70-73 Firebird with a Telsa drivetrain. Great googly moogly, best looking American car ever made (obviously IMHO) with the best driving experience out there.
      67 GTO - Build underway
      66 Bronco U13 Roadster
      And a couple of 80's Porsches

Recharging while driving is exactly the scenario that is addressed by a hybrid drive. As I mentioned earlier my wife drives a hybrid Lexus and it uses a combination of electric motor and small gas engine. In this setup it will run either on electric or gas/electric all computer controlled of course.

Seems to me a range of about 300 miles is about right for a local commuter, but making a cross country EV trip would still be a challenge and would require some serious planning. Assuming that a typical EV would always be plugged in at home every night so in effect you would leave home every morning with a full tank, I'm wondering how people envision a typical present day convenience store with 20 or so gas pumps in an all EV world. Would you still need 20 charging stations? If you don't need to stop for a recharge do you still stop at a convenience store to buy whatever?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

There's also regenerative braking, but that's not going to help much on the interstate. I agree a 300 mile "range" for cross country would be a major PIA. And advertised range is under "normal" conditions. Headwind, snow, rolling hills or mountains, low ambient temperature, heater or A/C running, and/or passengers and luggage, all cut into that 300 miles. So instead of 300 you could easily have a 250 mile max range. Plus you don't drive 250-300 miles and just pull into the charging station located on every corner like gas. So maybe you have to stop at 200 miles because that where the charging station is and maybe you drive 5, 10 or more miles out of your way as well. Then a lot of the superchargers are not located near any good restaurants so better pack a lunch. Also the advertised range is when the car is new. Batteries degrade over time so in 4-5 years you may only have 90% (?) of your original capacity. Then to top it off once you roll into town you have a mostly dead battery and grandpa only has 120v in the garage, or the hotel charging spots are full, so don't plan on running around town until tomorrow morning.

Just a thought here,but say you spend x amount of dollars on,oh a dse set up and its optimized for the typical v8,manual trans and 12 bolt or 9inch,wont all the geometry have to be changed to suit the extra weight and that's in different places then the original system??
      You,or builder would have to reengineer the vehicle.
      I'd say just buy a new electric sport car and race that it would make more dollar sense,plus all of us would have our projects on jack stands for another 5 10yrs!!

Well,unless you have DEEP POCKETS.

Not me,said the flea!!
      72 chevelle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com