Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Opinions wanted for paint color

Getting ready to start paint on my 69 camaro project. I understand it's hard to do something that hasn't been over done, or at least done before.that being said, I'm leaning towards Lemans blue with black stripes or a silver to light grey color.

Jeff Dupont camaro keeps me coming back to blue with polished wheels and chrome bumpers.

Silver car makes me think possibly painting bumpers, or at least the front one with polished or black wheels.

Also the newer camaro with the single stripe could be an option, but hard for me to say without first seeing it on a 69 camaro.
      I personally like the no rear wing look, so probably no rear wing.

Last 3 pics are my wheel choices. The CCW DS500 polished, the Billet Specialties Freeway polished, or the Boze boost wheels that are shown on the black Chris Alston Chassisworks 69 camaro.

Any help, opinions, advice is appreciated.

Mark
      Attached Images Attached Images                
      Last edited by markaaron80; 01-01-2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Added pics

I've painted several things at work grey this, I mean last year. It's a passing fad for some things. Go with what looks good to you.

Professional opinionwise, I think a proper blue, black stripes look proper , classic & tough at the same time with body style. The blue with stripes you posted is like a freshed up version of a classic color that worked for the 69. Single stripe could work if you wanted something different, but the classic twin stripes just look right here.

Personal opinion, I still prefer shiny wheels with it , in a sea of me too black & grey wheels, for that color combo.

Thanks jlcustomz

Makes me feel a little better about the blue.

Just got word back from CCW about the price on a set of DS500 wheels. They just discontinued them last week. They were my first choice just because I haven't seen them on anything. Reminded me of a mustang Saleen wheel or the black DSE 69 camaro TUX.

I was hoping they would make me a set thinking it wasn't a big deal to make 1 more set. They would not do it.

So now wheel choices are the Billet Specialties Freeway polished or the Boze boost on the Chris Alston Chassisworks 69 camaro.

I'm thinking the polished freeways would look best with the blue.

That blue looks really nice. The silver is nice too, but that blue really stands out.

Polished wheels will jump off of the blue and really pop. If you wanted to add something you could do a brushed or smoked center.

BTW on my last build I used a blue color with fully polished wheels, so I might be a little biased

I'd go with a darker blue, more of a royal blue, and gold center BBS style wheels. Not a Camaro, but this look:

Name:  2015-08-26_17-56-17-640x427.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  74.7 KB

So, sounds like it may be settled that we're going blue with polished wheels. Definitely a lot of bad ass blues to select from to be suggested here. If you want to stay true to the camaro, the late model hyper blue looks good in person AND you can find an actual car to look at. Would be even better with higher quality clear than the factory uses. Look over several pages in this link as it has a hint of color change in it & pics don't do it justice.
      https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408977
      Many more eye catching late model blues to pick from. Also on a recent Bitchin Rides episode, Dave Kindig developed a new blue color.

Now wheels are definitely an opinionated subject. Grew up loving the cragar ss & like many 5 star designs. The 2 you're looking at are nice, BUT in my opinion they are a little plain for what you have to pay for them & look a little too much like the (hammer) style that is now considered outdated looking. I'd nail down a paint color choice & keep looking on wheels. I've looked at a ton of wheels over the years trying to decide on my next new ones. Billet specialties are the real thing though, seen plenty of new ones at show vendors.

That's all opinion but I'd like to be happy when I see a finished pic of your ride. If I'm happy with it off an internet pic , I think you'll be happy with it in your driveway. When ever it is done, bump this thread back up with a final pic. Always good to see a finished product.
      Might make me biased here, but I still kick myself for not buying a blue 1969 camaro rs from a mechanic that owned it in 1989 for $1,000. Intact original paint. Ouch, just licked myself again.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com