Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

72 Nova Project ReduX

Decided to start a thread here and hopefully track my progress, I’ve had my ’72 since I was 16 and it’s been under construction in one way or another since I was roughly 18 which was back in 2002. This first post will have pictures from when I pulled the car apart a couple years ago to finally do a real restoration. Lots of pictures that I’m not uploading like replacing the driver quarter panel, adding mini tubs, patching the passenger quarter panel, and replacing the tail light panel.

This is the car before I pulled it apart.

What I found while sanding the car down… Original owner swore up and down that the car had never been to a body shop and sat in a garage for 20 years….

Speedtech Torque Arm, and ridetech Front

Firewall Replaced

Undercoating done (Raptor Liner)

Front Brakes 14” Rotors

Rear end Painted and assembled.

Not quite how the car sits at this moment but this will essentially be the stance… I’d like to get the front end a little lower, that will mean modifying the front fenders, and fender wells.

Nice... Love Novas...
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

the weld wheels look great on that

Looks killer. Keep us updated!

Nice build. Look like we are running the same suspension set up. I have the full ridetech front suspension and Rear Speedtech Torque arm. I was wondering what the specs of the wheels you are running? Are they staggered sizes? What backspace did you got with? I narrowed my rear end 2 in each side. In the market for rims now and was trying to get an idea of what I should run. Those rims look great on the Nova.
      Eze_1978 1968 Chevy Nova

My build link:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ova?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by eze_1978 View Post
      Nice build. Look like we are running the same suspension set up. I have the full ridetech front suspension and Rear Speedtech Torque arm. I was wondering what the specs of the wheels you are running? Are they staggered sizes? What backspace did you got with? I narrowed my rear end 2 in each side. In the market for rims now and was trying to get an idea of what I should run. Those rims look great on the Nova.
      Thanks! Sorry for the late response, the rears are 18x12 with a 4.7" backspacing, the fronts are 18x9 with a 5.6" backspacing, I bought my wheels and then narrowed the rear end to fit them, the backspacing on the rear makes the suspension and brakes a tight fit but it should all work out, hopefully.

I told myself that I’d keep this updated as often as I could and I failed…. The Nova is now drivable other than waiting on some new plates and registration, I have one or two small things to finish up and it will be on the road, and of course no car project is ever finished so there will be much more work that is done to the car in the future but I had to get at least one update in here.

This is the car to this point…

To sum up this project, I lost my father to leukemia when I was 12 years old, within a year or so of his passing I found a photo album of his first car which was a ’72 Nova, I asked my mom about it and she told me all about the fun and trouble her and my dad would get into when they were teenagers with the car. I decided at that point that my first car would also be a ’72 Nova, and I would restore it as a tribute to him. The following are the pictures I found when I was a kid that inspired me to build this car, I wish it didn’t take me almost 20 years but I’m happy I was able to finish this car for myself as a reminder and tribute to him.

The car is gorgeous. That blue is amazing. What color is it?

Jay

cool story and tribute to your dad. Nice job on the car looks great.
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

WOW. Stellar stellar job. The end result is just awesome and what a great tribute to your dad. I am so sorry you lost him and can't enjoy this car and his nostalgia with it, but it is a great tribute and wonderful way to feel connected while creating your own new memories.

The color scheme and the way this car sits are just perfect. I love it. Looks incredibly clean inside and out. BRAVO!
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post

Jay

Yes!, Yes! and Yes?

Beautiful ride, well done! Your Dad would be proud without a doubt.
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Man, that thing looks awesome...
      I thought I would never say this...But I really like the black bumpers and trim!!

You can definitely get into some trouble in old Novas, i have had mine since '92.

Looks great! Nice job
      Eze_1978 1968 Chevy Nova

My build link:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ova?highlight=

Thanks for the compliments they mean a lot! I’ve followed all of your builds and pulled a lot of inspiration and motivation from them, it’s not easy keeping a project car going but looking through all your build threads kept my progression moving.

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post

Jay
      Thanks!, the color is Chevrolet Rhythm & Blue/Elkhart Lake Blue GS7

Quote Originally Posted by rchaskin View Post
      Man, that thing looks awesome...
      I thought I would never say this...But I really like the black bumpers and trim!!

You can definitely get into some trouble in old Novas, i have had mine since '92.
      Thanks! I really wasn’t sure they would turn out nice, but I figured screw it, the bumpers weren't as straight as I wanted initially so if they turn out bad I’ll buy new chrome!

Did you paint the trim or is it vinyl wrap? The trend to black out or body color the trim definitely brings a modern look to the car. In this case it works really well with the blue. There's lots to love about your build but for some reason the colors are really grabbing my attention. Hope to see and hear a lot more about your car.

Your dads car is a period correct beast. I love the fog lights mounted on the bumper, the roof rack, and the big air horns under the hood. Is that a PA speaker mounted above the heater box? I see his had California plates. Where are you at now?
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Great job! Car looks awesome!
      John Brown
      1971 Nova - Project Car
      1990 Silverado - Ridetech StreetGRIP
      Instagram @wilwaxu
      Facebook @wilwaxu

Very Nice! Clean, simple, and a head turner.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      Did you paint the trim or is it vinyl wrap? The trend to black out or body color the trim definitely brings a modern look to the car. In this case it works really well with the blue. There's lots to love about your build but for some reason the colors are really grabbing my attention. Hope to see and hear a lot more about your car.

Your dads car is a period correct beast. I love the fog lights mounted on the bumper, the roof rack, and the big air horns under the hood. Is that a PA speaker mounted above the heater box? I see his had California plates. Where are you at now?

I painted the trim, I used SEM Trim Black. Yep that's a PA, I'm in Northern Utah now, born in CA but the family moved to Utah when I was a kid and I like the cost of living here haha.

Car looks great- as others have said I love the blacked out trim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com