Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Exhaust Jig?

Country Flag: United States

Exhaust Jig?

Hey Guys,
      I'm trying to find the company/product where you lay a jig over your "U" or "J" bend exhaust pipe and it will allow you to cut the tube accurately so when you build either a set of headers or an exhaust, it will look correct and transition smoothly. I did try to do a search in this section but came up with nothing. Thanks.
      Greg Tholen
      GT Motorsports
      Dealer for Wilwood,Baer,Viking,Moser,BMR,Earl's
      (937)763-7272

Check out https://www.icengineworks.com/ for the templates as they are very helpful for building headers and exhaust.

As far as cutting J or U bends accurately, I fabricated a block (UHMW for my purpose) that fit the inside radius of the bends. I used the block on a guided plate on my small bandsaw to cut the sections I need to replicate the "legos". There have been others who use abrasive chop saws or metal chop saws to get square cuts as well.

Here you go, here are two different jigs. Sorry I can’t remember from who or where I saved these pictures from, but I liked the ideas so I saved them to my iPad.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Name:  sucp-1104-02-o+how-to-make-custom-headers+.jpg
Views: 2098
Size:  428.1 KB

From a super chevy article on how to make custom headers. Could make one, they are for certain radius of bend per pipe size..

The 2nd pic above gives me an idea. Wanted to make a tabletop plate for portaband saw anyways. I can make a sliding jig with adjustable block to help hold pipe straight when cutting instead of just marking & eyeballing.

The second pic is from my build. Using the "legos" the block can be positioned...

Name:  KIMG0317.jpg
Views: 2122
Size:  251.3 KB

and the J bend can be positioned and cut fairly accurately. I did end up bolting some guides in place on my little table to make guiding the plate through the saw easier.

Name:  KIMG0327_zpswr3r2j7h.jpg
Views: 2335
Size:  327.0 KB

I have several blocks that work with a bunch of different radii for all kinds of projects. The "legos" are not cheap, but well worth the investment in time saving and accurate modeling.

Quote Originally Posted by jlcustomz View Post
      Name:  sucp-1104-02-o+how-to-make-custom-headers+.jpg
Views: 2098
Size:  428.1 KB

From a super chevy article on how to make custom headers. Could make one, they are for certain radius of bend per pipe size..

The 2nd pic above gives me an idea. Wanted to make a tabletop plate for portaband saw anyways. I can make a sliding jig with adjustable block to help hold pipe straight when cutting instead of just marking & eyeballing.
      This is the one I was trying to remember. I read that article awhile back and couldn't remember where I read it. Now I just have to figure out who makes it or I may design one of my own. Thanks!
      Greg Tholen
      GT Motorsports
      (937)763-7272

Quote Originally Posted by 65 drop top View Post
      Here you go, here are two different jigs. Sorry I can’t remember from who or where I saved these pictures from, but I liked the ideas so I saved them to my iPad.
      65 drop top,Thanks. That top photo is an idea. Maybe I just make my own jig. Ice engine works makes something similar to the second photo. They are expensive.
      Greg Tholen
      GT Motorsports
      (937)763-7272

After I googled the Super Chevy article, I found out that Cone Engineering Makes the jig and sells a 4 piece kit for $80. I'll be purchasing this kit soon.
      Thanks guys for all the help!
      Greg Tholen
      GT Motorsports
      (937)763-7272

Exhaust Jig

Here's yet another idea >

Name:  layout tool.JPG
Views: 2700
Size:  68.9 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com