Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by redbull396 View Post
      Well, you are correct, they don’t have one listed, but the rack I have is the one pictured on the steering page. Odd! It’s the same as the right hand drive rack, but for normal side.
      That is a Unisteer rack. Check out their website.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

[QUOTE=dhutton;1286737]. Curious what you think you gained with a rack versus a performance 600 steering box?

Nothing really. I was in the same boat as the original poster. Dad bought the rack and began installation before we got the car and threw away all the old stuff. Honestly it was a pain to get everything to fit; we bought and returned lots of parts to find a combo that worked.

All I hope to do is provide information to help the poster with his decision. Matt

[QUOTE=btmatt;1286818]
      Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      . Curious what you think you gained with a rack versus a performance 600 steering box?

Nothing really. I was in the same boat as the original poster. Dad bought the rack and began installation before we got the car and threw away all the old stuff. Honestly it was a pain to get everything to fit; we bought and returned lots of parts to find a combo that worked.

All I hope to do is provide information to help the poster with his decision. Matt
      Certainly appreciate the info as well. As you, all my factory stuff has been tossed in the trash. The guy that was orig helping me on my build, is a guy that knows what he's doing for the most part, but has since dropped off the face of the earth, and here I am trying to put together pieces to a puzzle he created.

As for the Autokraft and Speedtech pans, they are VERY close to same specs, some slight variances, but pretty damn close over all.

I know it is a very old thread but I wanted to comment on this issue, which is very frustrating. My opinion on Unisteer Rack& Pinion is that they are junk because of the following reasons:

1) They tend to leak even if they are new and have only a few miles on them.
      2) There is very minimum thread engagement between inner & outer tie rods ( inner tie rods are not long enough to maintain thread engagement of 1”.
      3) I have Speedtech Subframe and wish they designed their subframe to utilize a different steering rack. There is a very tight clearance between Autokraft oil pan and the rack mounting bolt. So in order to remove the rack, you need to jack up the engine to have access to the bolt with your wrench.
      72 Camaro RS:SOLD
      68 Camaro:
      LS6 Engine,Tremec TKO 600,5 Speed
      Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors

My speedtech front subframe is assembled but not under my car. I mocked up and removed. Car is in paint jail. I'll definitely check out the thread engagement on my inner and outer tie rod ends..
      I used mast Motorsports stroker oil pan on my LS7 and it fits superb. I'm using dirty dingo slider mounts.
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com