Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

67 mustang front suspension

Hi all
      I’m starting a saved project. A 67 Ford Mustang FB. Engine and transmission are built but I need some opinions on the front suspension. I don’t care for the OEM suspension and was thinking of mustang11 or something else with better handling. Anyone have an opinion on this
      I would love to hear about it.
      thanks Ray

SO MANY OPTIONS!!!

I guess the first question is what is your budget?

Second questions is, what do you want to do with the car?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

It’s going to be a driver. Small block ford with a blower, fuel injected. I haven’t decided what to spend on it yet. I guess it depends on what I’m buying.
      Ray

1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I like the layout of the rear suspension not so much the front. It’s looks a little overbuilt for a street machine.
      Ray

Ray,

If you want to do a basic Mustang 2 suspension, there are about a dozen options. However, there are better options for better performance. The Mustang 2 front end is not exactly designed for handling. There are also many options for bolt in options available from ridetech, etc..

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I used the ridetech suspension both front and rear on my 67 Camaro. Is there something in particular you like about there front end?
      Ray

Their control arms fix the geometry issues...fix the goofy strut rod link...and they have amazing shocks.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Thanks I’ll look at what they have a little closer. What did you use on your Cougar? I know it’s probably on here but I really don’t get a lot of time to read the various posts. Too many projects and not enough time.
      Ray

I used TCP. In retrospect, I wish I would have used a clip that got rid of the shock towers. I want to do a turbo, but the shock towers are not helpful. Both Schwartz and Roadster Shop have full chassis as well.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I’m not familiar with the last two you mentioned. I’ll check there websites and see what they have. I have
      A 67 Cougar to do one of these days. Hopefully before I die of old age. I’m almost finished with the Camaro and working on a 58 Apache at the same time.
      Ray

Check out Mike Maier Inc. They have several levels of kits and use JRi shocks which are arguably the best and can be upgraded later. With a Shelby drop the factory spindle geometry and control arm lengths are pretty darn good and result in excellent handling.

https://mikemaierinc.com/product-cat...nt-suspension/

Stay away from Mustang2 (Pinto) stuff unless you don't want to push it very hard. The spindle geometry is poor so the handling is always going to suffer. Also many MII kits have horizontal slots for camber adjustment and will slip when pushed hard (even on the street) with anything larger than a 225mm tire.

I agree with Andrew, the mustang II is not the best, but it can be improved to provide better camber gain and such. If all you are looking for is better handling than stock on a budget, lower the upper control arms aka Shelby/Arning drop, throw some 620 1" drop springs with good shocks. larger front sway bar, and new mid or reverse eye leaf springs w/ good shock in the back and you'll be way ahead already. If there is more room for budget, here's a few more to add to the already mentioned companies: Open tracker Racing; Global West Suspension; Street or Track.

http://www.globalwest.net/mustang-19...uspension.html

http://streetortrack.com/

http://opentrackerracing.com/product.../1967-mustang/
      Robert Icasas

Projects:
      67 Cougar
      Art Morrison Sport IFS
      3-link Rear Suspension
      Coyote w/ D&D Performance Viper t56

I'm not sure what I want to budget for this project. I put about 20k into the suspension of my Camaro and I'm pleased with how it handles. This Mustang has been sitting for many years waiting for the time to work on it. I'm looking for anything that is better than what it has. I purchased it 20 years ago and let it sit because of all the other projects. Now it's time for the research and see what's available. I'm asking
      Questions on here because I'm sure someone out there has tried just about everything on the market.
      I know that a lot has been developed in the years but I don't want the trial and error issues that can come with but the biggest and baddest instead of what works for my needs. So once more everyone's
      Opinion is important to me. The more I can look at the better.
      Thanks Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Razzor67 View Post
      I'm not sure what I want to budget for this project. I put about 20k into the suspension of my Camaro and I'm pleased with how it handles. This Mustang has been sitting for many years waiting for the time to work on it. I'm looking for anything that is better than what it has. I purchased it 20 years ago and let it sit because of all the other projects. Now it's time for the research and see what's available. I'm asking
      Questions on here because I'm sure someone out there has tried just about everything on the market.
      I know that a lot has been developed in the years but I don't want the trial and error issues that can come with but the biggest and baddest instead of what works for my needs. So once more everyone's
      Opinion is important to me. The more I can look at the better.
      Thanks Ray
      Ray,

I completely understand your point of view. However, I think what you will find is that everyone that chimes in will say that whatever they have is the best. In marketing we call this confirmation bias. From an economics perspective, this makes sense, because individuals have subjective value. Everyone has their own perceptions of what is important to them and their specific circumstance.

Sorry for the rant, but in short, I think the best you can hope for is explore all of the available options, and see what suits YOUR needs best. It may turn out that an inexpensive MII system will work just fine for you...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

I always loved that year of Mustang, just not the factory suspension...lol
      I have included a link that takes you directly to the page that displays the ridetech C/O Suspension. https://www.ridetech.com/products/su.../product-3294/
      This second link shows all of the additional products and options we offer for your Mustang https://www.ridetech.com/application...es_hash=13-255 Best of luck on the build and shout if I can help!

Greg Fuesler
      Ridetech National Sales Manager
      https://www.ridetech.com/
      812-481-4732
      gfueslerATridetech.com

Thanks for the input. A big part of what I'm fishing for is just what I'm getting now. Sources for the various designs available at this point. I value the many opinions simply because I don't have the time to chase down all this information. I will look at each of the retailers and get the one that fits my needs. I also like to check out the negative comments on each item. It makes it cheaper for me.
      Thanks Ray

This might be helpful as well:

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Unless you have a significant budget of over $2000 for parts on this portion of the project you are probably just as well off with Export Brace, Monte Carlo Bar, one of the several types of replacements for the original rubber strut rod bushings, roller spring perches, lowering springs, good shocks, an uprated sway bar, and a Shelby/Arning drop.
      Cars are meant to be driven.

John B

Please check out the Mike Maier Inc stuff (not Maier Racing). They have a really nice lower control arm with strut rod. That piece with a set of Bilstein shocks and a shelby drop will get you 95% of the way there. After that, you can upgrade to coilovers with the upper arm kit. This way you can spread out the cost and enjoy the car. The spherical bearings in the lower control arm and a good alignment are the number 1 things to improve the performance of a Mustang.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com