Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      I love the leafs versus 4 link arguement. Usually the people who sell leafs jump in a defend it to death. Leafs are so good though...that’s why they are no longer a production thing on sport cars. The Camaro dropped them in 1982....30+ years ago! Even my Dodge Ram has a 4-link from the factory. Face the facts...there are advancements out there if you want to spend the money
      Aren't Corvettes still on leaf springs?

We are developing our leaf spring line for 2nd Gen Camaro as we speak. Our new race '71 Camaro has composite leafs and a Watts link while our street line uses traditional steel leafs.

Like mentioned above there are those builders who don't want to do the fabrication work, cut up their car, etc.

For high end builds of course a 3-link and Watts or PHB, or a torque arm system, or a parallel 4-link with a lateral locator is usually preferred.

It all depends on budget and goals for the car.
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by F-Body International View Post
      Aren't Corvettes still on leaf springs?
      Corvettes have transverse leaf springs. They do not locate the wheels as in a traditional longitudinal leaf spring suspension - like a first or second gen Camaro.

Like Bill said, in the Corvette application the springs only job is to be a spring. Since the spring has no other function it can concentrate on being the best spring it can be without compromise.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Shotaro View Post
      Okay thank you....
      I think....... every day hahaha

Attachment 162925
      I really want to know how it handles with this setup, and especially if you have any issues with wheel hop? What are the specifics? What leafs are those, which QA's are the shocks, looks like your sub-frame connectors are welded in? And I'm betting a hundred other guys with Leaf springs are wondering too. By the size of the front tires, I'm assuming you like auto-crossing?
      '69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, Massaged .030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed,
      Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition, CompCams Xtreme Energy XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads

Country Flag: Japan
      Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer View Post
      I really want to know how it handles with this setup, and especially if you have any issues with wheel hop? What are the specifics? What leafs are those, which QA's are the shocks, looks like your sub-frame connectors are welded in? And I'm betting a hundred other guys with Leaf springs are wondering too. By the size of the front tires, I'm assuming you like auto-crossing?
      I like to run. It also has a subframe connector and a roll cage. I am interested in how much change there are when changing to 4 links. I am satisfied with the current leaf spring.

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Tech View Post
      We are developing our leaf spring line for 2nd Gen Camaro as we speak. Our new race '71 Camaro has composite leafs and a Watts link while our street line uses traditional steel leafs.
      What is your time frame for releasing your 2nd Gen Camaro line? I used your parts on my 72 Chevelle and was very pleased. Plus you are not too far away - I'm in NJ. I recently acquired a 73 Camaro RS and i'm currently planning the project. I would love to use UMI parts all around. (I'd even volunteer it to be a test mule if you need one!)

The steel leafs are in stock and ready to ship. The race stuff will release most likely in the fall, as we are testing now and then will need to build the first runs of all the pieces.

If you want any additional detail I'm happy to help on here or at [email protected].

thx

Oh, and PS, our '71 Camaro won DriveAutoX GTV the first time out.
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

yeah, I've never seen a fast straight axle car...

I guess I should have quoted what I was referencing as it is gone & my smart ass reply no longer fits...

Following and eating popcorn!

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      I love the leafs versus 4 link arguement. Usually the people who sell leafs jump in a defend it to death. Leafs are so good though...that’s why they are no longer a production thing on sport cars. The Camaro dropped them in 1982....30+ years ago! Even my Dodge Ram has a 4-link from the factory. Face the facts...there are advancements out there if you want to spend the money
      Yes and the Camaro went to a 7.5" 10 bolt also! Add 400 HP in there and see what happens. My 2015 Chevy truck still has leafs and sure rides better than my beater '97 Chevy truck with leafs. Older Chevy trucks swapped from coils and links to leafs in the early 70s. Factory engineers do things for a lot of reasons, best performance is not always their top priority. And most high end sports cars now use IRS(heck even a few SUVs) so are they the best performance upgrade?

Many advantages listed on both sides of the sheets. Leaf springs for racing can have improved bushings over the soft factory rubber, the leaf packs can be tweaked to reduce wrap up(check out the old Mopar Super Stock springs). Heck before Cal Tracs came out Tri City made Mopar style springs for GMs in the NHRA stockers. Sox and Martin, Dick Landry all ran leafs in Pro Stock. Heck look at Guldstrand's leaf springs where the second leaf actually wraps around the spring eye not much wrap up there.

The Link suspensions are definitely easier to adjust but each adjustment affects another parameter that could also affect handling you have to observe. But once dialed in can be very effective suspensions and advantages over the leafs. But like that new carb with adjustable idle and main bleeds, adjustable metering block emulsion holes-you can mess it up easier too.

The only way to settle what is best same car-staying the same weight-same driver same tires same track(and atmospheric conditions) with each one tuned for best performance to it's design. I'd bet you'd get more difference in two different drivers that two different suspensions systems.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com