Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Anyway to determine spring rate without scales?

Need to figure out what rear spring rate to go with, I can buy and swap springs but want to hopefully get close without a lot of purchasing involved.
      Don't know of anyone in my area with scales besides the platform scale at the dragstrip, entry/exit is sloped so I don't think I could get accurate rear weight by parking just rear tires on it?

Just installed coilovers up front and am now realizing how soft the rear is w/ factory moog springs. I plan on getting adjustable shocks on the rear and aftermarket springs. Have rear coil spring setup and setting height is pretty simple, plus I'm running 3" exhaust, don't think I would have enough room for coilovers.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Can’t answer your question but I used UMI rear springs on my 64 A body with good results. I did end up raising the front on this car.

Don
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thank you Don for the reply, pretty much the route I'll take. My front springs were sagging from beating on them, looked like yours, reason I opted for the coil overs, slapping myself for waiting so long.

https://flic.kr/p/2njnZ6d
      *Jeff*

Do you know the rate of the factory springs?
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

The fronts were moog 6200, 290lbs/in
      The rears are moog 6197, 138lbs/in

The front replacements are QA1 double adjustable with 450lbs/in springs. Looking to keep it from being a kidney beater but also be able to turn if that makes sense? Did an iron LQ4/t56 swap but set it back to the firewall to help with overall weight distribution. Doesn't help with the fuel tank out at the rear bumper though.
      *Jeff*

Approximately another 75 pounds in wheel rate in the front. 175-200 would be a decent stab at the rears......probably 175 if you want to consider the spring being behind the axle instead of in front/on top.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Approximately another 75 pounds in wheel rate in the front. 175-200 would be a decent stab at the rears......probably 175 if you want to consider the spring being behind the axle instead of in front/on top.
      Thank you, I greatly appreciate the advice!
      *Jeff*

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com