Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      I'd rather have it up the effort at higher speeds, like 80mph up, than vary it at lower speeds.
      Exactly!

The assist strategy for the earlier Toyota parts is very simple. The faster you go, the less assist you get. With the Yaris ECU that I am using, there are three levels of assist. Since the speed signal is coming from the Holley Dominator ECU, I can alter the PPM output and alter the MPH where the medium assist kicks in. Right now I have it set to go into medium assist at 35 mph, and high assist kicks in around 50. I can't change the relationship between medium and high assist, because that is programmed into the steering ECU, but I can shift them both up and down.

What Scott is trying to do is on another level!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

We have done 6 EPAS swaps, 5 are up and driving. 3 were on Cobra kit cars, 1 Fox body and 1 Nova. For the rack/pinion cars, Sweet makes rack just for this. Large heavy duty inputs and shafts for the boosted input, and your choice of ratio's. We tried a Yaris ecu with the speed input as Andrew is using. A little tricky to get it done but not too bad. For us, mostly Auto-X and Road Course, the assist add was 'goofy' or 'backwards'. And, with no real way to swap the input relations, we finally stripped it back to a manual (pot) tune. One assist level throughout. This gave the driver the most consistent feel, but in our minds, it could be better.
      Ideally, we wanted to be able to build a multi layer tune map. with Speed, G-meter, brake, and Steering angle grids. We hoped for a smooth assist gain during slow speed or decel, reduce assist if the brake is on, and progressively reduce assist as the steer angle increases. But, it was not available with the hardware we had. The static set up works very well, although we usually run it on the 'low' side of perfect, too much high speed assist makes the car flighty, so we tune for that and add some muscle at low speeds. Personally, now that I have some experience with them, I prefer the EPAS to the usual hydro units now. So much so, that we are working on a version of our WideRide IFS using an EPAS Rack.
      Glad to see this project moving forward, Good luck!

Rob,

I am pretty sure that without the CAN box, the Yaris ECU will default to "failsafe" mode. I didn't care for how the car drove in "failsafe" mode, but once I added Blake's CAN box, it is much better. Also keep in mind that my Cougar is not a race car. I am looking for good street manners, which I feel I am getting close to achieving. If you have any pictures of how you mounted the various boxes, I am sure people would love to see.

I am also pretty sure that DCE has what you want in terms of fully programmable steering ECU based on a number of inputs.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I'm wondering if the EPS would adequate to turn big tires for a 4x4? I just got a 74 FJ40 and been thinking about converting it to power/assisted steering.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      I'm sure I could get used to it but it wasn't something I found desirable. Effort was changing mid-corner as I was headed towards an apex, which I really don't like. I'd rather have it up the effort at higher speeds, like 80mph up, than vary it at lower speeds.
      I'm hoping I don't see that behavior in this system, but it's something I'm going to keep my eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by RobNoLimit View Post
      We have done 6 EPAS swaps, 5 are up and driving. 3 were on Cobra kit cars, 1 Fox body and 1 Nova. For the rack/pinion cars, Sweet makes rack just for this. Large heavy duty inputs and shafts for the boosted input, and your choice of ratio's. We tried a Yaris ecu with the speed input as Andrew is using. A little tricky to get it done but not too bad. For us, mostly Auto-X and Road Course, the assist add was 'goofy' or 'backwards'. And, with no real way to swap the input relations, we finally stripped it back to a manual (pot) tune. One assist level throughout. This gave the driver the most consistent feel, but in our minds, it could be better.
      Ideally, we wanted to be able to build a multi layer tune map. with Speed, G-meter, brake, and Steering angle grids. We hoped for a smooth assist gain during slow speed or decel, reduce assist if the brake is on, and progressively reduce assist as the steer angle increases. But, it was not available with the hardware we had. The static set up works very well, although we usually run it on the 'low' side of perfect, too much high speed assist makes the car flighty, so we tune for that and add some muscle at low speeds. Personally, now that I have some experience with them, I prefer the EPAS to the usual hydro units now. So much so, that we are working on a version of our WideRide IFS using an EPAS Rack.
      Glad to see this project moving forward, Good luck!
      Yeah a mapped system would be ideal, and depending on how everything goes, I may look into it. My biggest goal out of this was to have a system that works well on the cheap(aren't we all), hence starting with the FRS system. My first reaction was to start making maps in the new arduino FPGA since they're so freaking fast, but then I read some white papers published by Ford on issues they ran into concerning torque ripple and transient gain curves, and figured if I could get a factory system to perform then I'd be miles ahead. The way I see it is right now, it's at least going to be a lot more tuneable and a lot cheaper. It's reassuring to hear though that the heavy hitters have been down this path successfully from a business standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
      I'm wondering if the EPS would adequate to turn big tires for a 4x4? I just got a 74 FJ40 and been thinking about converting it to power/assisted steering.
      I'll let you know how the frs system works on the 285's on my cutlass. I would think it would work great with one caveat- the ECU has the brains but it is also is a large motor controller. The FRS system is circuit breakered at 80 amps(I don't know how much it will actually pull). The manual states that if the system, overheats, it will reduce assist until it cools off. For hot ambients and lots off full assist usage like rock crawling, I would probly mount a small fan to the back of the thick aluminum heat sink. I plan on mounting a thermocouple to mine to see average case temps during regular driving and autoX/roadcourse, but that won't be meaningful until it gets warm again. I'll bet if you grabbed one out of a truck it would be ready to roll.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      Fab9 w/ custom 3 Link conversion
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

So I made a down n dirty test rig-easy now, this isn't instagram-this is more inline with an episode of roadkill lol. I'll add a system diagram to illustrate, instead of trying to use a bunch of words to explain it.
      So the good news is it powers up and when I twist the long shaft the other side is definitely boosted. this was an awesome feeling-I mean, again, standing on the shoulders and such, but it was nice to be able to at least duplicate what others have got working. I have the CANBUS in read mode, thinking that the ECU should be broadcasting at least something, but I'm not picking up anything yet. I need some distraction-free tinker time to figure it out.

In the meantime, I'll detail how I wired it up. the wiring diagram was easily found on ft86club forums. the section is called "EPS". There are 4 connectors. Z1 is the 3 wire connector that comes directly from the column.Z2 is the 12 wire connector. It feeds steering angle and torque sensor values to the ECU. A14 is where you feed high gage power and ground. the terminal spades are .375'' wide, so you know, the big stuff. A15 needs just three wires, switched ignition power to pin6, and CanH to 1 and CanL to 7. That's really it, 5 wires.
      Name:  frs steering eps.jpg
Views: 20187
Size:  297.9 KB

Name:  FRS ECU wiring 2.JPG
Views: 8753
Size:  68.0 KB

This shows the way I wired up the arduino. The only thing not shown is the usb cable feeding into the laptop to printout the can messages received.
      Name:  FRS ECU wiring 1.JPG
Views: 8625
Size:  183.7 KB

Name:  FRS ECU wiring 3.JPG
Views: 8263
Size:  95.2 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images      

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      FAYS2 Watts link
      Thanks to Mark at SC&C for his honesty and passion for the sport, and Ron Sutton for the wealth of knowledge that has helped shape so many of the cars on this site.

Solid progress! I am surprised that the steering ECU does not have the resister built in. The Yaris and Prius ECUs act as one of the ends of the CAN bus with the engine ECM being the other end.

What is the "resolver?"

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Solid progress! I am surprised that the steering ECU does not have the resister built in. The Yaris and Prius ECUs act as one of the ends of the CAN bus with the engine ECM being the other end.

What is the "resolver?"

Andrew
      Thanks Andrew! MY interpretation of the resolver is to mean the steering angle, makes sense to me as 4 wires for steering angle, and 4 for shaft torque. I'm hoping to prove that through the Can channels-my other assumption is that steeringecu broadcasts at least the steering angle for others to use(like stability control, and self-park in some models).

speaking of CAN channels-I plugged in and loaded the "receive blink" example for the arduino, and sure enough the ECU was broadcasting ID Ox370 . 8 bits in length, the 3rd bit was consistently 26, and the 6th bit varied, but did not really correspond to steering angle or torque. For example, the message looked like 0x370 0 0 26 0 0 11 0 0. where the "11" kinda bounced around.

I think I'm ready to broadcast out some mocked up speed and rpm messages to see if assist reduces like I hope it does, but I don't have a definitive way of measuring if it actually reduces.

I was thinking about hanging a 10lb weight off the vise grips on the input haft, and then measure the other side compressing an old valve spring....? Trying not to let myself get distracted in some complicated measurement setup, I'd like to keep moving forward with thte momentum I've got.--I'm open to any suggestions.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      FAYS2 Watts link

So I can confirm that 0x370 is shaft torque. I don't know what the magnitudes or units are, but the graph below definitely corresponds to the force I was exerting on the shaft. Also, I don't see anything in the message that talks about torque direction, because the first hump was clockwise and the second CC, but the magnitudes are the same. This is really cool!

I also found another Can ID that is sent not as frequently, it is 0x4C8. Not sure about this guy yet. My assumptions were that the ECU would broadcast both steering angle and torque, so I'm hoping the 2nd is angle.

I don't necessarily need to fully understand these channels, but it is helping me a lot to understand the system.

Name:  0x370_first byte.JPG
Views: 5630
Size:  42.7 KB
      Last edited by jetmech442; 12-23-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: clarifying graph

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      FAYS2 Watts link

It sure would be helpful if there was a document that fully described the Toyota steering control strategy. LOL

Solid progress!!!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Country Flag: Canada
      Again ... my brain hurts , not sure why lol
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

It sure would be helpful if there was a document that fully described the Toyota steering control strategy. LOL

Solid progress!!!

Andrew
      Sigh. I know right?!

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Again ... my brain hurts , not sure why lol
      Mine is starting to hurt as well, lol.

I realized that my power supply displays amps, and I've been using that to judge assist. The amperage reading, while not accurate i'm sure, is at least repeatable. So I've clamped the output to a locked position, and the input, I am hanging 7.5 lbs off an 8'' pair of vise grips. I've been flashing in updated CAN ID's and watching amperage, and so far none of them have had an effect. For transparency to the guy who finds this thread in 4 years(like me who has found so many from 2014ish), the Can messages I have sent using the "send" example are as follows:

CAN.sendMsgBuf(0xB4, 0, 8, stmp);

//unsigned char stmp[8] = {0, 0, 0, 0, 0xA0, 6, 102, 200}; //10.1mph- I've tried with and without the 5th byte which is supposed to be some sort of counter
      //unsigned char stmp[8] = {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0xF, 0xC0, 0x8B}; //24.99 mph
      //unsigned char stmp[8] = {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0x1C, 0x5A, 0x32}; //44.99 mph

Also tried:
      CAN.sendMsgBuf(0x610, 0, 8, stmp);
      //unsigned char stmp[8] = {0, 0, 0x90, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0xAE}; // supposedly the 3rd bite is straight speed

I'm starting to wonder if the vehicle CAN ID for the 2014 FRS is different than the Prius/Camry values I've been able to scavenge from the sources in my first post. I have a friend at work who has an FRS that I can try to get a CAN dump from, but won't be back at work until the new year, so I"m going to keep searching and see if I can find any other values other than 610 or B4 to try.

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      FAYS2 Watts link

Scott,

I think we may have to go down the rabbit hole of looking for Subaru CAN IDs. The FRS/BRZ are clones...

There are a couple of guys on ls1tech that may be able to help, but they are going down their own rabbit hole of developing a free gen 3 ECU flashing software.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Scott,

I think we may have to go down the rabbit hole of looking for Subaru CAN IDs. The FRS/BRZ are clones...

There are a couple of guys on ls1tech that may be able to help, but they are going down their own rabbit hole of developing a free gen 3 ECU flashing software.

Andrew
      Blindsided by the joint-venture,lol. um, yeah I think I may need to descend a bit further down the hole. I guess if it only took a non-electrical guy a few weeks to do it, then everyone would have it right? time to put google back to work.....

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      FAYS2 Watts link

Andrewb70 contact me a while ago about my eps conversion I did back in 2012. I own an 1992 toyota corolla alltrac wagon. These rare Toyota wagon are awd. I swapped a 1989 toyota mr2 supercharged 4 cyc into the wagon. Problem was the mr2 did not have power steering and the supercharger is mounted where the power steering pump would have gone. I really wanted to keep power steering. I had worked for lexus dealership back then and knew a lot about both EPS and CAN system. After some research I was able to find a few people that had used Yaris and Prius Electric power steering columns. So took a chance and bought some Prius columns and a yaris non ABS ecu. While the can Ecu will go right into fail safe with no can signal, I wanted to get the whole system working. Easier to just use the speed sensor signal that my Toyota already has and not try to duplicate it into the can network. Now one area I want to address is people saying that the system if functioning at 100% assist when in fail safe. That is not true. If there is a malfunction in the CAN network or speed signal then the system goes into default and this results in assist being fixed at the same assist has it has at 43 MPH which is the min assist.
      FAIL-SAFE CHART
      When a problem occurs in the electronic power steering system, the P/S warning light on the combination meter comes on, and the ECU stops the steering power assist, maintains the amount of power assist constant, or reduces the amount of power assist to protect the system.
      DTC NO. MALFUNCTION FAIL-SAFE
      C1511/11
      C1512/12
      C1513/13
      C1514/14 Torque sensor malfunction Assist force restricted
      C1517/17 Torque sensor malfunction Power assist stopped
      C1524/24 Motor malfunction Power assist stopped
      C1531/31
      C1532/32 Power steering ECU malfunction Power assist stopped
      C1533/33 Temperature sensor malfunction in power steering ECU Power assist stopped
      C1541/41
      C1542/42 Speed sensor malfunction Amount of power assist remains constant at speed of 43 mph (70 Km/h)
      C1551/51 IG power source voltage error Assist force restricted
      C1552/52 PIG power source voltage error Assist force restricted
      C1554/54 Power source relay malfunction Power assist stopped
      C1555/55 Motor relay Malfunction Power assist stopped
      U0073 CAN bus malfunction Amount of power assist remains constant at speed of 43 mph (70 km/h) note for FRS is 62 mph
      U0105 ECU communication error Amount of power assist remains constant at speed of 43 mph (70 km/h) note for FRS is 62 mph
      U0121 ABS ECU communication error Amount of power assist remains constant at speed of 43 mph (70 km/h) note for FRS is 62 mph
      - Extremely high temperature in ECU Assist force restricted until normal ECU temperature recovers
      - Power source voltage drop Assist force suspended until voltage recovers

This is the same for the FRS ecu. Other issue that you will have tell you can get the CAN working it will not be able to program zero point calibration for the steering wheel center. The zero point I have only be able to do the calibration with a scan tool. There are instruction to do it with out a scan tool but you need to be able to see the P/S light on the instrument cluster which is done over the CAN. Scan tool I have but had to figure out how to duplicate the RPM signal on the can which is the CAN signal that EPS ECU looks for has a wake up signal. I found a guy that post a youtube video recording of the Yaris CAN data. I found a module that was programmable for CAN transmitting (cando auto module) . Mine you not has much info or Arduino CAN info back then. By wiring the module in connecting my scan tool to the CAN network then start to program the HEX data in tell I came out the correct one for RPM. Then I was able to program the Zero point using the scan tool and the system was now fulling operational. I can confirm that it is a different then when the system is just in fail safe.
      Looking at information on the FRS EPS. This system is the newest version of column EPS system most likely was made my jtekt part of the Koyo Bearings company. They make most of Toyota steering components. Like Racks and EPS. It looks like the FRS system is a jtekt made one. It has the look of a Toyota style. But the Toyota part number has an SU at the beginning which may show signs of it having some Subaru influence but after some looking at the information I could find I am inclined to believe it is Toyota protocol. But it is running on the newer Toyota can protocol and since several companies and even and MIT student had hack the setup in the prius for remote and autonomous vehicle. So I would not be surprised if Toyota changed things up on EPS protocol that is not required universal OBD2 data like the RPM signal is. The other change is the Yaris system runs on 12 volts. Both to the ecu and to the electric motor. The FRS eps esu setups the 12 volts up to 35 volts. We saw this same thing on some of the Lexus EPS systems. One Thing is the connection for the ECU is the same on the scion TC and a few others so if we end determining that the CAN protocol is Subaru based you may be able to pick up a different ECU to play with.
      Just for fun here are some pic of my car and setup!

4AGZE Engine has since been removed. Currently swapping a Camry 1mzfe v6 with TRD supercharger.

Prius column top and 92 corolla tilt column lower. Note that is also a break away column if in an accident. I wanted to keep that function.

Both disassembled and just the parts I need laid out.

Also was greatly surprised to find out the u-joint from a 92 and a 2004 would be the same size. I was able to grind off the stack marks , press the caps off and make one unit that would attach the EPS to the Stock Rack and pinion. The rack and pinion I looped the lines and weld up the hydraulic slip joint.

Cut weld shafts together and the end result.

Then Installed into vehicle. And no there is plenty of space between the motor and gas pedal.

Cando auto module

The completed Build of the vehicle minus any info on the v6 swap currently under way.

http://forum.alltracwagon.com/cgi-bi...7147405/s-105/

more information on my setup and also on a couple of others from some Australian’s

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/thr...power-steering

My current Daily Driver and weekend desert runner Another AWD corolla wagon with my own custom 4 inch lift and 27 inch tires. That will also be getting a EPS install some time down the road when it also gets a v6 swap from a Lexus RX300. Already have all the parts just need to finish the other wagon first. I also have an 87 supra with a built 7mgte. I have the EPS rack from an IS350 and ecu I would love to try and mount in the supra. So I am a little keen to get this all working since its ecu is a CAN for both the RPM and Speed signal.

Jared,

Thanks for posting!!!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Quote Originally Posted by AE95 View Post
      Andrewb70 contact me a while ago about my eps conversion I did back in 2012. I own an 1992 toyota corolla alltrac wagon. These rare Toyota wagon are awd. I swapped a 1989 toyota mr2 supercharged 4 cyc into the wagon. Problem was the mr2 did not have power steering and the supercharger is mounted where the power steering pump would have gone. I really wanted to keep power steering. I had worked for lexus dealership back then and knew a lot about both EPS and CAN system. After some research I was able to find a few people that had used Yaris and Prius Electric power steering columns. So took a chance and bought some Prius columns and a yaris non ABS ecu. While the can Ecu will go right into fail safe with no can signal, I wanted to get the whole system working. Easier to just use the speed sensor signal that my Toyota already has and not try to duplicate it into the can network. Now one area I want to address is people saying that the system if functioning at 100% assist when in fail safe. That is not true. If there is a malfunction in the CAN network or speed signal then the system goes into default and this results in assist being fixed at the same assist has it has at 43 MPH which is the min assist.
      FAIL-SAFE CHART
      When a problem occurs in the electronic power steering system, the P/S warning light on the combination meter comes on, and the ECU stops the steering power assist, maintains the amount of power assist constant, or reduces the amount of power assist to protect the system.
      DTC NO. MALFUNCTION FAIL-SAFE
      C1511/11
      C1512/12
      C1513/13
      C1514/14 Torque sensor malfunction Assist force restricted
      C1517/17 Torque sensor malfunction Power assist stopped
      C1524/24 Motor malfunction Power assist stopped
      C1531/31
      C1532/32 Power steering ECU malfunction Power assist stopped
      C1533/33 Temperature sensor malfunction in power steering ECU Power assist stopped
      C1541/41
      C1542/42 Speed sensor malfunction Amount of power assist remains constant at speed of 43 mph (70 Km/h)
      C1551/51 IG power source voltage error Assist force restricted
      C1552/52 PIG power source voltage error Assist force restricted
      C1554/54 Power source relay malfunction Power assist stopped
      C1555/55 Motor relay Malfunction Power assist stopped
      U0073 CAN bus malfunction Amount of power assist remains constant at speed of 43 mph (70 km/h) note for FRS is 62 mph
      U0105 ECU communication error Amount of power assist remains constant at speed of 43 mph (70 km/h) note for FRS is 62 mph
      U0121 ABS ECU communication error Amount of power assist remains constant at speed of 43 mph (70 km/h) note for FRS is 62 mph
      - Extremely high temperature in ECU Assist force restricted until normal ECU temperature recovers
      - Power source voltage drop Assist force suspended until voltage recovers

This is the same for the FRS ecu. Other issue that you will have tell you can get the CAN working it will not be able to program zero point calibration for the steering wheel center. The zero point I have only be able to do the calibration with a scan tool. There are instruction to do it with out a scan tool but you need to be able to see the P/S light on the instrument cluster which is done over the CAN. Scan tool I have but had to figure out how to duplicate the RPM signal on the can which is the CAN signal that EPS ECU looks for has a wake up signal. I found a guy that post a youtube video recording of the Yaris CAN data. I found a module that was programmable for CAN transmitting (cando auto module) . Mine you not has much info or Arduino CAN info back then. By wiring the module in connecting my scan tool to the CAN network then start to program the HEX data in tell I came out the correct one for RPM. Then I was able to program the Zero point using the scan tool and the system was now fulling operational. I can confirm that it is a different then when the system is just in fail safe.
      Looking at information on the FRS EPS. This system is the newest version of column EPS system most likely was made my jtekt part of the Koyo Bearings company. They make most of Toyota steering components. Like Racks and EPS. It looks like the FRS system is a jtekt made one. It has the look of a Toyota style. But the Toyota part number has an SU at the beginning which may show signs of it having some Subaru influence but after some looking at the information I could find I am inclined to believe it is Toyota protocol. But it is running on the newer Toyota can protocol and since several companies and even and MIT student had hack the setup in the prius for remote and autonomous vehicle. So I would not be surprised if Toyota changed things up on EPS protocol that is not required universal OBD2 data like the RPM signal is. The other change is the Yaris system runs on 12 volts. Both to the ecu and to the electric motor. The FRS eps esu setups the 12 volts up to 35 volts. We saw this same thing on some of the Lexus EPS systems. One Thing is the connection for the ECU is the same on the scion TC and a few others so if we end determining that the CAN protocol is Subaru based you may be able to pick up a different ECU to play with.
      Just for fun here are some pic of my car and setup!
      Dude I coulda swore I recognized your username and some of those pics, then I realized I have your thread bookmarked from toymods. Your explanation of the Canbus termination actually made sense after having read a half dozen or so word-only explanations, so thanks for taking the time to post-especially the above. I've read the above twice now,and I'm sure I'll continue to absorb more as I re-read, but a few things already stuck out:
      Centering the system. The FRS uses a separate Steering Angle Sensor(SAS) that I do not have, it is quite pricey when new at 250$. I'm not entirely sure what the "resolver" does in the wiring diagram of the Steering Control Unit(SCU), but my SCU does not broadcast angle, so I'll have to figure something out there. Im hoping to map a much cheaper sensor to the right Can message. Interestingly, Can ID 0x18, which I'm convinced is Steering angle on the 500kbps Bus, does seem to have a static angle stored in the 3rd Bite that never changes, even from day to day. I think I may be able to center the system when I broadcast 0x18 by controlling that bite. IF not, then a friend lent me his TechStream cable and disc, which can do the programming, I'm just not sure if it will complete the alignment since it also tries to reset the YAW sensor, which I don't have(or need). also not sure if it needs to communicate with the rest of the Bus. But anywya, when the time comes, I'll try it out and tell you how it went.

The fact that the TechStream is a toyota service tool tells me SCU should be toyota CAN, but I am finding a lot of ID's familiar to the WRX guys over on NASIOC (great resource and those guys take nerdy Can hacking/HEX editing to the next level!!!!). Thats really good insight though that the TC has the same wiring as the FRS, if the values that Tulsa and Fabio and the MIT guys would work on the TC module, then half the battle would be over.

I love the wagon by the way, what a baller car. I'll bet with the supercharger its just a killer driver. Again man, thanks for the in depth post, if you see me heading down a path you've already tried feel free to steer me right. .

1969 442 6.0L LQ9 T56
      FAYS2 Watts link

You have to admire guys who can bring tech at this level to their builds.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

This project makes my EPAS install look like child's play...I am very curious to see where it goes.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com