Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Shortening Ford Racing fuel injection harness

I have a Ford Racing control pack on my 68 F100. I have the ECM mounted into the firewall and the relay center in the interior. The wiring harness is looped across the right side of the engine.
      The new supercharger intake sits 1/2 higher from the engine block so this gives me about 1.5 inches of clearance to run the wiring harness under the intake and really clean the engine compartment up.
      There's about 30 to 40 wires that need to be shortened.
      I have a few ideas on shorting the harness.
      I dont know what type of pin terminals I need or where to buy them?
      My other 2 ideas are cut and solder the wires together.
      The quickest way looks to be the butt connectors that already have low temperature solder made into the connectors.
      Can the wiring gurus please give me some ideas.
      Thanks!!!

44 views and zero replies? Anyone?
      Here's my truck so far. Valve covers will be painted white, supercharger will be blue with white start and the new intake will be red.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I'll bite-

I am not familiar with that harness....

With that being said- I would NOT recommend just shortening it especially if it has any shielded wires (cam and crank sensors)- you are opening a can of worms there.

Being a factory harness- I would look for the pins and crimper - try these guys- I know they have the pins for Chevy LS stuff.

https://www.mouser.com/

You have done everything else correct (looking at the picture) and can't under stand why you would want to go with the "quick" fix on something as important- but unnoticed as the wiring.

Also look at this- for covering the wires and protecting from heat- for under $50- it's well worth the effort.

https://www.wirecare.com/category/br...me-temperature

I ran my crank and cam sensor wires "through" the engine- and just used some left over AN -12 hose to protect them.

Name:  DSCN7818.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  244.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Richard454 View Post
      I'll bite-

I am not familiar with that harness....

With that being said- I would NOT recommend just shortening it especially if it has any shielded wires (cam and crank sensors)- you are opening a can of worms there.

Being a factory harness- I would look for the pins and crimper - try these guys- I know they have the pins for Chevy LS stuff.

https://www.mouser.com/

You have done everything else correct (looking at the picture) and can't under stand why you would want to go with the "quick" fix on something as important- but unnoticed as the wiring.

Also look at this- for covering the wires and protecting from heat- for under $50- it's well worth the effort.

https://www.wirecare.com/category/br...me-temperature

I ran my crank and cam sensor wires "through" the engine- and just used some left over AN -12 hose to protect them.

Name:  DSCN7818.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  244.1 KB
      Thank you for replying. I did know certain wires cant be shortened because of changing values. I've thought of something else. Where the wires were looped across the engine, I can unpin the wires and loop them under the intake. I'm very precaution of wires chaffing. I will look into wirecare.com material.
      They make all sorts of cool LS parts but the Ford's dont get near the attention until you see it run. Lol
      Thanks again!

Country Flag: United States
      If you send me pics of the connectors that need shortened. I can prob help. PM me for my email address.
      Eric Evans

Quote Originally Posted by eldogg View Post
      If you send me pics of the connectors that need shortened. I can prob help. PM me for my email address.
      Post pictures of connectors and pins (terminals). I can help as well.

Mouser, Digikey and Waytek are great sources for terminals, but you need to know exactly what you hare. Knowing that it is a Chevy or Ford or Dodge is not helpful. The connectors are either Molex, TE, Delphi...etc...

The proper way to do it is to shorten the wires and crimp new terminals to the connectors.

Andrew
      Last edited by andrewb70; 12-15-2018 at 12:21 PM.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by Frank ZX View Post
      Thank you for replying. I did know certain wires cant be shortened because of changing values. I've thought of something else. Where the wires were looped across the engine, I can unpin the wires and loop them under the intake. I'm very precaution of wires chaffing. I will look into wirecare.com material.
      They make all sorts of cool LS parts but the Ford's dont get near the attention until you see it run. Lol
      Thanks again!
      HA- understand (My wife drives a '16 Mustang GT)and anything you want for LS is so easy to find.

"Shielded wire - can of worms" - I wasn't referring to changing the resistance- but rather the wires ability to shield itself from "electrical noise" either radiated or conducted as electromagnetic interference(EMI). Splicing incorrectly could cause the computer to read incorrectly- which will drive you insane trying to figure out whats happening.

What the foil and/or braided wire does is reflect the energy and/or it can pick up the noise and conduct it to ground.

See below- same concept as the tin foil hat to keep the government from controlling your mind!!!

Name:  shielding1c.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  18.3 KB

Country Flag: Canada
      Following along!

Finding Ford small wiring parts is a PITA. Even the "LS" stuff can be a mixed bag unless one dives deep into the datasheets and drawings. That's often how the parts make it from Mouser out to the field.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

This is a great thread:

https://forums.holley.com/showthread...als-Holley-EFI

The first part of it discusses various LS related connectors, but I do believe that later pages discuss Ford connectors.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Thanks for all the comments. This is the one of the ECM connectors. There are 3 total and they all use the same type of pins.
      Someone mentioned the crimping.
      As a aircraft mechanic I am aware of alot of different types of crimping tools and dies.
      I'm also somewhat aware of shielding wires from crossover or voltage bleeding into other wires or whatever it's called. Lol
      I know its critical.
      I have the wiring harnesses bagged up waiting on the new No Limit Engineering chassis. I will post better pics in a day or 2.
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Keep in mind this is a Ford Racing control pack so there are already alot of wires eliminated from Ford. It's mainly the factory Mustang engine harness that's so bulky.
      The engine harness has alot of unnecessary wires especially now I did away with the VCT and locked the cams out. With that being the case I guess I could remove the individual wires from the harness. That way I could stash the wires a little easier?

Country Flag: Canada
      what about a bulkhead connector? That way you get all the correct terminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon View Post
      what about a bulkhead connector? That way you get all the correct terminals.
      Where would I buy a bulkhead from?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank ZX View Post
      Where would I buy a bulkhead from?
      Multiple options for the. Some very expensive and others more reasonable. Delphi makes some reasonably priced bulkhead connectors:
      https://www.waytekwire.com/manf/45/A...Delphi)/&sc=15

Your connectors look like some sort of TE Connectivity connector.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com