Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

header options ls3, dse subframe 69 camaro

looking for header options for 1969 camaro. Currently changing subframe to dse and 408 sbc to ls3 427. Looked at dse headers and hooker blackheart. Any others to consider?
      1969 Camaro rs
      ls3 427

Long tubes would be dse. Mid lengths I would go with ultimates. I have stainless works and since my car is very low I bent them to my liking.

Hooker DSE specific?

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      Hooker DSE specific?

Some of Holleys parts are with DSE specific in mind. The thing about DSEs frame is it takes a particular header to clear the steering shaft. I believe Hooker and DSE are the only ones. However the mid length headers that turn back like manifolds work, but I don’t like them and you don’t get the performance like a long tube. I would look into the Hooker, unless you have the coin for DSE. I have DSE headers and granted at the time that was a lot of money, I’m glad I bought them.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

ARH - American Racing Headers. They are made for the DSE hydroformed sub-frame

I went with Stainless Works with my 68 (full DSE subframe) and they hang way too low. I should have just paid a little more and went with DSE. I'll be swapping them out soon.

For what it's worth, I was on the fence myself when it came time to spend the money on headers. My setup is also a 68 Camaro, DSE sub, LS3, DSE 1.5" setback mounts, T56. I looked at everything and finally dropped the money for the DSE's. I've never regretted it for a minute. One common theme I read at the time was a lot of people buying headers only to be dissatisfied and end up buying another set...before you know it, you've spent the money you would've the first time.
      The DSE's have the best ground clearance and are truly a work of art, they're a bunch of money but you won't be sorry! Buy it once, buy it right.

I attached some pics of my DSE headers to show the fitment/ground clearance as I know how hard it is to find pics other than "stock" photos...
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

At this point I plan to to use the Hooker on mine. From what I have read they have good ground clearance. I also like that I can buy a complete exhaust from hooker that fits my DSE car. Less fab I have to do means having it on the road sooner. The DSE ones certainly are sexy and I am sure the quality is great. Can you get a bolt up exhaust for them?

Impressed with how well the dse tucks in at the bottom. Ground clearance looks great. Is hooker similar? I hear ya on the dse, just struggling on the price difference
      1969 Camaro rs
      ls3 427

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      At this point I plan to to use the Hooker on mine. From what I have read they have good ground clearance. I also like that I can buy a complete exhaust from hooker that fits my DSE car. Less fab I have to do means having it on the road sooner. The DSE ones certainly are sexy and I am sure the quality is great. Can you get a bolt up exhaust for them?
      That's definitely a plus on the rest of the exhaust. I searched high and low and there's no bolt in kit for the DSE headers. You can buy the exhaust couplings for about half the price on the open market. DSE uses a third party mfg...the name escapes me at the moment but I can get you the name and part number off mine. I tried to get by w/o cutting my trunk corners as well and I can tell you, there's no way to get 3" tailpipes around a Quadralink w/o raising the trunk corners (at least in a Camaro). I ended up having to go back and raise my trunk corners, re-bedline everything, etc...Not Fun! lol
      Shane
      #theanchorholds
      68 Camaro build thread:
      http://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56387

Has anyone tried the American Racing Headers? They make a set of stainless specifically for the DSE setup.

I have used stainless works in the past. I had no issue at all with ground clearance. I used the Wayne Due version- part # CA679WD. I put almost 20K mi on them without them hitting. My car wasn't slammed, but sat fairly low. The driveline angle is a factor to consider. I raised the tunnel in my car, and had the trans shimmed up as high as possible for good working angles on the driveshaft. (which also raises the headers) I am currently building another car another, and bought the hooker blackheart headers. I have everything mocked up, and put them on. Before I ordered, I called Holley tech line and asked which DSE mounts were required. Was told they will fit with either. That's not the case- they require the 1.5" setback mounts. As you can probably guess, I did not use those. Instead of changing everything, I went back with the stainless works wayne due headers. Just wanted to give anyone looking to use the hooker, they must get the setback mounts. Anyone need a set DSe hookers, PM me lol.
      Scott

I have a set of Hooker Blackheart long tube headers in Stainless with my DSE sub and really happy with the fit. They tuck up nicely.

Name:  20160605_135537.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  142.9 KB
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

good to see the hookers tuck well. I ordered the hooker black heart earlier today
      1969 Camaro rs
      ls3 427

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com