Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Hydraulic clutch in 1970 chevelle

Hello all,

I have an American Powertrain hydraulic clutch kit for my 1970 chevelle that I'm having a very tough time installing. Everything has been good until I needed to install the master cylinder for the clutch and the associated linkage. I've tried installing it per their instructions with their "patented firewall mount" but I cannot get the correct location which will give me good pedal feel and no rubbing of the linkage on the firewall. I've drilled a couple holes in the clutch pedal trying to achieve the desired outcome but it's just not working. The firewall mount has not impressed me at all- if the mount is adjusted all the way down at its maximum limit the linkage rubs all over the bracket (why make a bracket with that much adjust-ability where you can't even use it all?). So I'm doing a lot of research and I've found other kits like the Mcleod kit (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-1434004) that uses a bracket that bolts behind the BRAKE master cylinder and provides the correct angle etc etc. They don't sell this bracket by itself and from what I've determined I probably couldn't use the bracket anyways with my stock style power brake booster being in the way. I looked into wilwood pedals but that creates whole other can of worms. So, has anyone successfully installed this kit on a chevelle with stock power brake booster and pedals? I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to make my own bracket similar to the Mcleod kit.

Doug

1970 chevelle, carb'd, turbo'd 383ci with a tremec tko.

Country Flag: Canada
      I haven't installed mine yet but tony at abcperformance.net has a couple different styles , he has this on his own 70.
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      I haven't installed mine yet but tony at abcperformance.net has a couple different styles , he has this on his own 70.
      Wow. Thank you so much for that tip. I found them and I'll be giving them a call.
      Doug

Country Flag: Canada
      Np. Hope it works out for you , let's us know
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I've contacted abc performance and they said it should work for my application. I've ordered the product but it'll be a few weeks until I get to my car again to see if will work. Even after talking with them I think I might still need to modify the bracket a little bit.
      Doug

Country Flag: United States
      I tried the McLeod stuff, was less than ideal. The kit from Bowler works really well.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com