Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Help design my garage space

It's time to populate the garage with cabinets and a work space.

It's a two car garage with a little over 8 feet under the rafters. I intend to add storage above the cars I also have some space in the attic.

I can't make up my mind on where to put my work space and tool box.

I need all the cabinets that I can squeeze into the garage so wall space is a premium. MotiV8r will live in the garage and the '55 will have to stay outside. I may put some kind of a canvas garage / cover on the side of the house but the both won't sleep in the garage.

The spot on the right will be for MotiV8r and the spot on the left I will keep empty for Susan's car which may have to stay outside for short periods of time if I need to put a car in the middle to work on it.

My first thought is to line the back wall with cabinets and to leave a gap in the middle for a work space and a TV on the wall. It's 12' from the door on the left into the house to the door to the right that goes to the side of the house. That space used to have three 48" wide cabinets. The storage was nice but I had not place to work.

Between the water heater and the door into the house is 5-1/2' wide. That has always been a cabinet. Maybe that should be my work space and not leave a gap for a work bench on the large back wall.

The space you see on the left that currently has a wire rack is where my toolbox has always been.

The garage isn't very deep so part of me doesn't want to put a cabinet on the back wall on the far right. This would give me more room to work in front of the car but it's a lot of wasted space for storage.

What would you do?

Help!

Larry Callahan
      Founder/Administrator of Pro-Touring.com, G-Machines.com and HostMyJunk.com
      To advertise on Pro-Touring.com click here

Larry, as far as storage above the car, in my garage (also a two car) I built a 2x4 frame that was 4' x 8'. I then got me some 2" x 4" welded wire (fencing material) and stapled on end then stretched the wire to the other end and stapled it. I did this all the way around. This was to be the floor of my storage. I then took and made six 18" long chains and screwed a pretty hefty hook into the rafters on one end and the framework on the other end this thing now is a 4' x 8' storage area. I made it so the garage door could still be opened and closed. I used the 2" x 4" wire fencing so I could see what was up there, as opposed to using a plywood floor and not knowing what was in the middle of the storage unless I got a ladder and looked. Mine worked so well I'm going to build another one for the other side. I can shoot you a picture if you need me to.

Carl

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I would love a picture! I had not thought about wire fencing. I like the idea of being able to see and the air flow that would allow. Some day I hope to out a mini-split a/c in the garage and I think that would help. Please do share a picture.
      Larry Callahan

ok, let me get the holidays out of the way and I'll get a picture this week.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      ok, let me get the holidays out of the way and I'll get a picture this week.
      Thanks!
      Larry Callahan

OK, here you go. Got any questions let me know..

I have no idea why they came out sideways...

Carl Wilson

Have you seen the lift systems for storage stuff? I have thought about doing a 4x8 piece that lifts flush with my ceiling. I keep a lot of stuff in those plastic totes and I could stack quite a few of those on a 4'x8' piece and then lift it to where I don't even see it (I have a ceiling in mine).

This one is made to fit above the garage door rails so it's never in the way of the garage door opening or closing. There is about 18" to 20" from the top of the frame to the ceiling. Since it sits above my Camaro, I don't think I'd want one that I can lower or raise for fear if something went wrong with the lift system, it's on top of my car. This one is held my chains.

Carl Wilson

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com