Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Unsure how to register my 69 camaro in Pennsylvania

I have a pro touring built 69 RS Camaro and not sure how to register it.Antique or collectible and what the differences are.It's insured by Grundy,but wondering what the best way to register it. Any advice is awesome,thanks

Country Flag: United States
      It depends entirely on your particular state's laws. For my car in SC, I just went to the DMV with my title and got an antique tag (cars over 40) when I registered. There are some usage restrictions I largely ignore and I don't pay property taxes on it, just the annual $25 highway fee.

In a state that didn't have annual vehicle property taxes, I probably wouldn't bother with an antique tag.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJohn View Post
      It depends entirely on your particular state's laws. For my car in SC, I just went to the DMV with my title and got an antique tag (cars over 40) when I registered. There are some usage restrictions I largely ignore and I don't pay property taxes on it, just the annual $25 highway fee.

In a state that didn't have annual vehicle property taxes, I probably wouldn't bother with an antique tag.
      Same here...a antique car can also fall into the collectable category, but a collectable car can open the range of vehicles. DMVs do have rules for each category (looks which one best suites you). When I was in Alaska they had seasonal tags for some older cars. I could only drive it during the summer (Like April-Aug), but there was no Smog for it and it was cheaper to register.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Biggest issues are if there are mileage restrictions on registration and how your insurance sees the use of the vehicle. Insurance told me when I put full coverage on my 66 Caprice at stated value with 4 steps per year, ie allows me to change stated value with limited price increases as they have less risk as policy move towards renewal and stated value goes up.
      See If i have an old patina 66 Caprice with stated value january 1,of $5000 on 12 month policy. If I added $1000 in wheels and called that in on say February 15 the risk it will pay out goes down as policy gets shorter. basically I get a discounted raise in my policy. Say Im at $200 a month and wheels added $15 a month to policy, I would pay for the half month of Feb, and rest of year but not on month and half it didnt have wheels on it. Say July 1 I have $5000 paint job done and add that value to my now $6000 car so my now stated value goes to $11000 and I am paying more for last 6 months.
      Biggest thing is HOW the insurance company HAS to deal with increase as you raise stated value. AND how many miles you drive car.
      I drove my 66 Caprice from mid Sept 2017 through Dec5 2017 as my daily driver. Finally scored new used engine for my 04 Grand Prix, put it in on 3rd a sunday, water pump went out on Tuesday the 5 thon Caprice so I started driving Grand Prix. and one year later I have racked up 32k+.
      Biggest thing is HOW the state regulates your plates and how insurance sees your car.
      I made sure they understood that I considered my car as much transportation as a collectors item or hobby.
      This is why stated values policy is better than full coverage as they know exactly how much is paid out, and only risk is your miles driven thus they put limits on it. I talked to Geico about it and they quoted me something like $687 a year with 10 or 15k limit. I asked how much for unlimited miles and guy had to research and call back. $869 based on my assumed 25-30k miles driven(but no mandated limit) and I would have other vehicles insured and registered.
      Insurance is risk based, plates are based on states set rules or regulations for specific plates.
      Antique plates generally let you by pass emissions, inspections and maybe even seat belt laws. So some research is needed to get best fit for you.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

The problem with answers here is it's very state specific you're in Pennsylvania, so Pennsylvania laws matter. what happens in Nebraska or Idaho or California irrelevant. And insurance is a relevant generally to registration, other than being compelled to carry insurance in most states.

See if this helps. SEMA SAN guides to titles: http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten...olbox&g=SEMAGA
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by sweet motion View Post
      I have a pro touring built 69 RS Camaro and not sure how to register it.Antique or collectible and what the differences are.It's insured by Grundy,but wondering what the best way to register it. Any advice is awesome,thanks
      This might be a question you should ask Grundy. They may have a preferred registration. I know it is not relavent to Penn but in VA I can register Dust Off as an Antique or a normal street car. Each method has advantages and disadvantages. Again, I would ask Grundy if they have a preference.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com