Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which Power Steering Box?

I’m in the market for a new power steering box for my 69Camaro and I’m trying to decide on which one to buy? I just installed ridetech’s “Tru-Turn” suspension and I need to replace my old worn out power steering box. What’s the difference between the 800 and 500 series boxes?

What are the differences between the 400, 500, 600, 700 & 800 series?

Country Flag: United States

Great information, thanks 😎👍

I'm going to be going with the borgeson box hopefully this month.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

I just installed a PSC 600 series box - uses the same Saginaw 12:7:1 gear as the Borgeson - actually all these new performance boxes use that same gear from what I've been told by a few sources. Paid $475 from Summit minus a $50 deal during cyberweek.

Looks great and installed perfectly using a DSE rag joint - you need a 3/4" 30 spline rag joint to fit these newer boxes.

There are several options on fittings / cases - I picked the 80-up GM metric one just because it's the latest style. I'm using adapter fittings to run -6 AQP hose.

Name:  44379318440_77fd62622a_c.jpg
Views: 2182
Size:  140.9 KB

Name:  31243868457_fa502c471f_b.jpg
Views: 2317
Size:  201.8 KB
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I have a Lee 14:1 three ear box. It has a 30 lb valve and is the first box I ever had that doesn't have that vague over-assisted feel. The steering wheel snaps right back to center after turning and the feedback gives me a confident feel.. I use a Grant 13" steering wheel.. I wish I would of had this box on my last rear steer car!!

FWIW - I talked to the Lee owner last month and he hasn't had any availability of these 600 cases for more than 6 months. Couldn't tell me when he might get more - suggested checking back periodically.

So I went another direction. I was told by a few sources the 12.7:1 gear is all from the same mfg, so only difference is in the case. Not sure about the 14:1 gear.
      No doubt Lee probably does the best job setting up the fluid passages in the case and all that. But pretty much a moot point if he doesn't have any to sell.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
      I just installed a PSC 600 series box - uses the same Saginaw 12:7:1 gear as the Borgeson - actually all these new performance boxes use that same gear from what I've been told by a few sources. Paid $475 from Summit minus a $50 deal during cyberweek.

Looks great and installed perfectly using a DSE rag joint - you need a 3/4" 30 spline rag joint to fit these newer boxes.

There are several options on fittings / cases - I picked the 80-up GM metric one just because it's the latest style. I'm using adapter fittings to run -6 AQP hose.

Name:  44379318440_77fd62622a_c.jpg
Views: 2182
Size:  140.9 KB

Name:  31243868457_fa502c471f_b.jpg
Views: 2317
Size:  201.8 KB
      but that is not a 600 series box it's a 700.

- - - Updated - - -

PTFB has a couple 600 series boxes on the shelf ;-)
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Yes it’s a 700 series box.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

C4 Racer, I suggest you check the pressure rating of the AQP hose before you build your lines.

I have stated it in another thread. If you want a 12.7:1 box, NEW, for not a lot of money, the Borgeson box is pretty damn good.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      C4 Racer, I suggest you check the pressure rating of the AQP hose before you build your lines.

I have stated it in another thread. If you want a 12.7:1 box, NEW, for not a lot of money, the Borgeson box is pretty damn good.
      Is there a reason people don't buy reman'd ones? From the link above, one can go find reman'd boxes for the various vehicles that spec a 12.7 box for between $85-200. And yes, they spec a different box for FE2 or F41 optioned cars.

And now let's say I get one, how does one know if it is 12.7 from the outside? How many turns lock-to-lock (or does the box even have any stops in it)?

@pitts64, I believe that you can adjust the boost level with the screw inline with the output shaft. I believe if you back off of the nut, you can turn the screw and and out for more or less boost. I've never done that, but have read about boxes having that adjsutment.

That screw adjusts the preload/freeplay on the gear itself and has nothing to do with power assist.

You only have to swap out a couple of "freshly remanufactured" parts store boxes for free before you stop doing that. In your garage, it's worth a shot I suppose, many have been successful.

The Borgeson box is a direct copy of the 600 box that is unobtanium from everyone. Are there differences? I'm sure. I replaced a Delphi 600 with the Borgeson, drove the same........and I drive harder than most.
      Donny

Quote Originally Posted by 67King View Post
      Is there a reason people don't buy reman'd ones? From the link above, one can go find reman'd boxes for the various vehicles that spec a 12.7 box for between $85-200. And yes, they spec a different box for FE2 or F41 optioned cars.

And now let's say I get one, how does one know if it is 12.7 from the outside? How many turns lock-to-lock (or does the box even have any stops in it)?
      I purchased a Cardone 27-6550 reman'd one for a 3rd gen IROC-Z Camaro (which was supposed to be 12.7:1 with the firm T-bar) from Advance Auto, and it turned out to be a 14:1 ratio box. I used degree wheels to measure the actual ratio.

I had heard of several people getting the 14:1 box when they were expecting the 12.7:1 box before I bought. One guy on Youtube even said he measured half a dozen supposed 12.7:1 boxes from various parts stores and they all turned out to be 14:1. The 12.7:1 cores seem to be getting pretty scarce.

On my Firebird I actually wanted the 14:1 box due to the length of the pitman/idler arms (they're different than the 1st gen Camaros). Taking wheelbase and effective steering ratio into account, my steering is now as quick as a new Vette. I figured I was better off buying a "12.7:1" box and ending up with 14:1 than buying a "14:1" and ending up with something even slower. I have not taken the box apart to measure the diameter of the T-bar, but it's much firmer than my factory 17.5:1 power steering box. I wouldn't want any less assist.

The only way to know what ratio the box really is is to use two degree wheels (one on the input and one on the output) and do the math (input divided by ouput). They had paint stamps on them from the factory, but those are long gone by the time they've been reman'd. You can't rely on turns lock to lock because the castings came in many different configurations for different vehicles and there are several different end stop setups.
      - Ryan

Thanks for the answers, guys. Was curious as much as anything. Forgot the context part......seems that a lot of folks will go pull a box ouf of a Jeep in a junkyard, too. So opposite ends of the spectrum.

here is a fresh piece of so called unoptanium, PTFB can get 670 boxes built on a custom basis when available ;-)

Name:  hamilton 013.jpg
Views: 2029
Size:  193.6 KB
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

AQP hose is rated to 2250psj and 28” of vacuum and is the only hose that my pump mfg - KRC - recommends. So I’m pretty confident with this setup.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2018 Colorado 4x4

Is it readily available or only available when it's available?

Is PSC casting their own case, too?
      Donny

Quote Originally Posted by c4racer2 View Post
      AQP hose is rated to 2250psj and 28” of vacuum and is the only hose that my pump mfg - KRC - recommends. So I’m pretty confident with this setup.
      Cool. You have the high pressure hose where the part number starts with FCG. Not all AQP hose is high pressure and most of it rated to 250 psi.
      Donny

For power steering you want to use AQP high pressure hose. Often times when people say AQP it is interpreted to mean AQP Socketless which is not the correct hose for supply side power steering.
      Steve
      '68 Camaro - SBC, TKO600, 3.73 Moser 12-bolt, Speedtech, ATS-AFX, Hotchkis, Forgeline, Ron Davis and C5 brakes (Kore3), Holley Terminator TBI.
      Check it Out Here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com