Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

LSA front engine drive

Looking for some input/advice on how to best mount the A/C compressor on an LSA swap. 70 Camaro with DSE sub frame, I'd like to use the stock A/C compressor mounting location (low).... but this may be real tough with the DSE frame. I'll be running a small Sanden Compressor. Does anyone make a mount for the LSA that keeps the A/C compressor down low? I'm not real crazy about mounting up high and hanging way out. I think I've solved the alternator mounting, which is also real low on an LSA... I'm planning on using GM 12578067 on the advice of Buddy P. He used this on his LSA build for the alternator and power steering mounting. High mount, but not hanging way outboard of the motor. Any advice would be appreciated.

Holley has a low mount but I can’t say if it works with the DSE subframe.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-159

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Dirty dingo also makes a mount utilizing the smallest sanden compressor. It all fits in my Chassisworks frame.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dirty-Dingo...ox!07751!US!-1

Dimensions for the Holley mount system:

Scot
      86 Monte SS

Vintage Air makes an LSA specific low mount as well I saw it in their latest catalog. Another is made by Alan Grove? No experience with any of them, but will need to make the same decision soon.

This the accessory drive system I bought. It swaps the location of the PS pump and alternator to offer a little more clearance than the standard LSA accessory drive system.

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19368947.html

Vintage Air uses Alan Grove and Kwik Performance for their brackets.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

What i did was use the stock ZL1 accessory drive from a Gen5 zl1. Added the dirty dingo low mount A/C then added the power steering pump components which you can buy separately. If you haven't ordered your frame yet get it bare and notch out where you need room (low mount A/C and Alternator). I liked how compact the stetup is. You can also make room for an oversize crank pulley if you decide to over spin the blower for added boost (smaller upper pulleys suffer from slippage). That is what i did from the speedtech frame.

Thanks you for all of the input..... I think the Holley low mount A/C bracket will fit in the DSE frame, which solves the issue for that side... The real issue is alternator clearance with the rack on the DSE frame. Holley's mid mount bracket tech sheet says it does not work with the LSA belt routing. I'd like to use something that keeps the power steering and alternator tucked in tight to the motor..... I think my best option is the GM part 12578067 bracket...this moves the alternator to the top, not quite as tucked in as I would like..... I think it's important that the supercharger have it's own belt, rather than one single belt driving everything?

Lots of PD blowers run a single serp system. I personally have run like that with a whipple at 900rw

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      Lots of PD blowers run a single serp system. I personally have run like that with a whipple at 900rw
      Wow! Impressive.....

Quote Originally Posted by classiccamaro View Post
      Thanks you for all of the input..... I think the Holley low mount A/C bracket will fit in the DSE frame, which solves the issue for that side... The real issue is alternator clearance with the rack on the DSE frame. Holley's mid mount bracket tech sheet says it does not work with the LSA belt routing. I'd like to use something that keeps the power steering and alternator tucked in tight to the motor..... I think my best option is the GM part 12578067 bracket...this moves the alternator to the top, not quite as tucked in as I would like..... I think it's important that the supercharger have it's own belt, rather than one single belt driving everything?
      The Holley mod mount is made to use the water pump to mount the attachment the accessories so thats why it will not work with LSA. I'm trying to set my accessories up for a future LSA conversion in 2019. I'm using Holley High Mount atl/ps bracket with Dirty Dingo Low mount ac. I tried the Holley low mount first, but it wouldn't clear my LS engine adapter plates in the corvette position.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com