Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

68 rs camaro upgrading front&rear suspension

Hello to all first time member , looking into upgrading front as well as rear suspension CONSIDERING the following kits Front DSE speed kit #31303 {would like there sub frame but have a budget }Replaces frame upper mounts to coil over .Next art Morrison gt rear canted 4 bar frame with rear housing bracing and jri fixed shocks at all four corners . Brakes will be c6 corvette from kore 3 front and rear drive train ls based engine and t 6060 magnum 6 speed and vintage air . Like the kits that replace the rear frame, and frame connectors thru the floor to tie together . My thoughts are build it stronger than factory and only once .My background is a machinist and I can do every aspect of fabricating chassis work to body and paint .As far as usage of this car is to go anywhere east coast to west coast maybe an autocross once {I live 20 minutes from Millville race park nj. All in all just a enjoyable car to drive with modern technology.Almost forgot using c5 corvette wheels17x front and 18 back for now unless something better shows up. THANKYOU TO All that can lend some professional advise

Country Flag: United States
      Nice plan. ...and welcome. You will find that adjustable shocks are very important since our cars are all different. Tune to your driving preference and vehicle specs. Assuming that the rear frame rails are not rotted, the first-gen OE F-Body frame design is plenty strong and surprisingly well engineered.
      Steve

First, Welcome to Pro-Touring!

Since an aftermarket sub-frame is not in your budget, that means you will be using the stock sub. The very first thing I would recommend is that you remove the stock sub and completely re-weld it filling in the gaps between the factory welds. This will make the stock sub more rigid. Then I would contact ridetech and have them put together a complete suspension package front and rear which is designed to work as an integrated system. The one thing I recommend that you try to avoid is mixing suspension front and rear from different companies. When you deal with multiple companies you tend to get a finger pointing endless loop when you do have an issue that needs support. There is nothing wrong with DSE or Morrison but if you have a handling issue after the suspension is installed, you have now put yourself into that endless loop scenario.

I don't know if you have ever heard of the 48 Hour Camaro but it was built by ridetech to test and refine their 1st gen Camaro suspension parts and it kicks butt at every autocross event it has entered. Take a look at it, I think it is everything you are looking for.

https://www.ridetech.com/info/curren...8-hour-camaro/
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

uhuh

Quote Originally Posted by thejdman View Post
      first, welcome to pro-touring!

Since an aftermarket sub-frame is not in your budget, that means you will be using the stock sub. The very first thing i would recommend is that you remove the stock sub and completely re-weld it filling in the gaps between the factory welds. This will make the stock sub more rigid. Then i would contact ridetech and have them put together a complete suspension package front and rear which is designed to work as an integrated system. The one thing i recommend that you try to avoid is mixing suspension front and rear from different companies. When you deal with multiple companies you tend to get a finger pointing endless loop when you do have an issue that needs support. There is nothing wrong with dse or morrison but if you have a handling issue after the suspension is installed, you have now put yourself into that endless loop scenario.

I don't know if you have ever heard of the 48 hour camaro but it was built by ridetech to test and refine their 1st gen camaro suspension parts and it kicks butt at every autocross event it has entered. Take a look at it, i think it is everything you are looking for.

https://www.ridetech.com/info/curren...8-hour-camaro/

what he said!!!!
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

DSE makes a pretty good set up for the factory frame too.
      Or speedtech.
      Lots of great options out there.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

More information on the first gen 48 Hour Camaro.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...48-Hour-Camaro
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

68 rs camaro suspension upgrade

Thankyou for the info , after adding up front sub frame up grades due ,speed tech with its spindles and box upgrades pushing 5 k pulled the trigger on dse front sub .like to go dse rear set up but like the art Morrison rear sub with new frame2x4,or use due kit use auto weld in Danville pa. for 2x3 factory formed rails and brace floor upper mounts to frame . just don't like the floor to support upper arm locations .I do a lot of pro street high horsepower street car builds and just like the Morrison frame construction.Thankyou again for your time

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com