Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: New Zealand
      Quote Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
      always gonna be haters out there, don't worry about it
      mate not being a hater ,the fab work and welding on this have a lot to be desired

Country Flag: United States

Dash assembly

The floor to dash meet came very close with the floor probably about a 1/2 inch rearward of dash support/cowl but that’s OK there’s no real conflict. Name:  E4267986-1F07-4F77-9877-FE40B93B1BBD.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  262.0 KB

That's basically what they did with the car built for the Monster Drink
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Quote Originally Posted by TANKMASTERJ View Post
      That's basically what they did with the car built for the Monster Drink
      I like to know what the car and link if possible the only one I know of is this 69 Firebird that I came across AFTER I started this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...9-ta-vert.html

Quote Originally Posted by GB68 View Post
      I like to know what the car and link if possible the only one I know of is this 69 Firebird that I came across AFTER I started this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...9-ta-vert.html
      West Coast Customs

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3xhbxp

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Yep that's it. What a. Job! But if you got the Fab skills it's sure cheaper than an entire aftermarket setup
      TANKMASTERJ
      Jasons Toys
      2000 HD Softail

Putting things together

The cruise motor/controller, fuse box, battery to mount yet. Steering purged, brakes ready, the clutch is a Spec stage 1 with a 7/8" tick master so pedal effort is on the tough side. Lining up body gaps. Waiting on the right elbow for the KN filter, just filter web for now. Almost ready to start. I think the battery will go between the motor and radiator. Name:  engine bay shot.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  118.5 KB

Boyd's 17 x 7. Under body done

Used the GTO handbrake cables linking to the drum cables crisscrossing up top of rear and that worked out nice.Name:  68 side shot.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  65.7 KBName:  under rear.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  90.7 KB

I think the battery will go between the motor and radiator.
      I recommend rethinking putting the battery between the engine and radiator. In a front end collision, that could cause the battery to be pinned between the engine and whatever was hit. The danger isn't so much that the battery case would be crushed, it's more that the battery would be grounded against the engine block. This dead short would likely cause the battery to explode. If you happened to pass over the results of a ruptured fuel tank as the battery blew, it wouldn't look too good for the home team.

It looks like there's enough room for the battery in front of the passenger side front wheel. If not, I'd move it to the trunk. 0ga cable is enough to carry current from the trunk to the starter, and you can use 6ga cable to run the charge side of the alternator to the starter as well, which will work fine to charge the battery. I normally use welding cable with wire loom around it for this, and it works great.

That’s a good point Vimes about an explosion, yeah can’t wiggle this battery in the way I have that radiator and all and I sized up a few optimas their not much smaller so thinking about cutting a flap in the wheel well slide it up that way, possibility. That LS1 is set back 8” so not Concerned with front end weight and I may still have to trim coils as haven’t set it on floor yet.
      Last edited by GB68; 09-14-2020 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Grammar

Something I've thought about on contemplated projects is to use a couple of smaller batteries instead of a larger one as is traditional. This was to put the batteries in a tight area where a regular battery wouldn't. If they are wired in parallel the amperage adds but the voltage stays the same. If the added amperage is the same as a single battery, then it's the same as a single battery. If you dig around on the Summit website they have a whole mess of batteries along with their dimensions, so you should be able to find something that will fit. LiPO batteries are also pretty small for an equivalent cold cranking amperage, but they come with their own set of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimes View Post
      Something I've thought about on contemplated projects is to use a couple of smaller batteries instead of a larger one as is traditional. This was to put the batteries in a tight area where a regular battery wouldn't. If they are wired in parallel the amperage adds but the voltage stays the same. If the added amperage is the same as a single battery, then it's the same as a single battery. If you dig around on the Summit website they have a whole mess of batteries along with their dimensions, so you should be able to find something that will fit. LiPO batteries are also pretty small for an equivalent cold cranking amperage, but they come with their own set of problems.
      Charging and using parallel batteries is a bit of a can of worms.

I would put the battery in the trunk like most folks do.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Not really, it's just a matter of extending the wires positive to positive and negative to negative, and keeping the extensions the same length. It only becomes a problem if you try using batteries of different age, like only replace one when there's a problem, or if you try using two different capacity or types of batteries. Batteries have been getting wired in series, parallel or series/parallel configurations for over 100 years. So long as both batteries are the same brand, size and age, it would work fine and would solve fitment problems. We do agree on a single battery being the best way to go because just one is simpler, but if the OP needed to use two smaller ones to fit it would work fine.

Went with these C5 type sealed hubs and taller spindle setup from CPP and I think the best way to go without bearing maintenance and the taller spindles at 8 1/4" are about 1 1/4" taller than stock giving more lean back or caster of 5' they advertise. Spindles and hubs will need coatings and the rotors are almost 13 inches. I'm a ways from rolling but Jim/CPP is nice to offer free ship and at less than $900 with the braided caliper lines to frame too.

Kudo's to you for undertaking this magnitude of a build! Keep up your work.
      Wondering if you can give me a dimension, I already have C6 brakes with stock 1st gen spindles, been thinking about CPP's spindle setup. I need the caliper mounting bracket bolt spacing on the CPP spindle to see if my vette calipers will bolt up to the spindles. Thanks in advance if you can help.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Kinda. Like Vimes said parallel batteries can work fine. I've got lots of heavy equipment. Cranes, dozers, excavators, air compressors dump trucks 18 wheelers you name it. Most are either multiple battery 12v parallel setups or twin battery 24v sets wired in series to get 24v . All charge and work fine
      But I see Don's point, why reinvent the wheel. Trunk is a suitable position and adds weight to the rear.
      TANKMASTERJ
      Jasons Toys
      2000 HD Softail

Was looking at optima dimensions but so far their pretty similar in size and the convertible
      has ballast tanks at all four corners somewhat taking some precious space, too cramped. I'm thinking of a plastic battery b
      ox.
      Name:  GTO engine to rad space..jpg
Views: 557
Size:  134.5 KB

Caliper mount spacing on CPP C5 brakes

Looks like 8 1/8" center to center eye balling since the curve bulge can't get down to front of bolts.

Factory GTO wiring harness stuck preventing start, needs reset?

Went to start it and just a click. Have a horn attached, no door locks on wiring, all dash and controllers in and when connecting in battery goes into alarm, push remote either lock or unlock and quits but then the security flash in IP prevents to start. If anyone has been there on a 04-6 GTO what it takes to disarm I'd appreciate it.

Went to start it and just a click. Have a horn attached, no door locks on wiring, all dash and controllers in and when connecting in battery goes into alarm, push remote either lock or unlock and quits but then the security flash in IP prevents to start. If anyone has been there on a 04-6 GTO what it takes to disarm I'd appreciate it.
      You will need to have the ECM reflashed to disable the anti theft. Probably some other stuff too. Emissions for example. Any competent tuner can do it.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Many guys including me have run trunk mounted batteries in first gen convertible Camaros. I can’t think of a worse place for a battery with the radiator heat blasting on it. Really bad idea imho....

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com