Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Finally sized and cleaned up the two floor sections and the rear floor
      will be a modified original replacement. Had to make a few filler pieces
      after having cut too much out of GTO in beginning. In order to use the
      GTO rear seating I'll have to modify the GTO back rest as is too tall later on.
      Then onto cutting out the shoulder strap supports with the continuous roof
      support to create a flat rollbar incorporating the overhead light. Then drop
      in the motor and tranny with trans mount in position with 2 to 3° angle down
      in position where I'll measure out and see where the engine mount cradle will
      attach to the sub frame. I can see that will be some butchering of the K-member
      and looks like I can use the GTO rack just have to change out and shorten the arms
      4" total. A rear sump definitely will be required.

Original floor to wider GTO

Adapting replacement floor to GTO floor in the 68. The GTO seat bottom floor is nearly flat unlike the camaro so things will work out as
      the GTO seat bottom middle section easily separates so can use both seat cushions, 18-19" wide then later cut and tuck the back rest.
      Although there is minimal floor space shall put all in anyway.
      The 04-06 GTO's dual exhaust travels nearly tucked up in the wide floor tunnel.
      I think there should be a manufacturer stamping a wider floor tunnel for conversions allowing more leg room too.
      Will be installing the seat retractors just behind the supports on both sides in the rear side qtr

Name:  original rear seat floor to GTO.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  121.6 KB

I've laid out the wiring harness and will utilize most all in time except the ABS which I believe leaving unplugged the Electronic brake control module which has the brake lines into/out
      should not interfere with accelerator servo unit(cruise) and only concerns are the traction and ABS light indicator's which shall see if just unplugging the ABS fuse and related relay.
      Without the ABS unit i'm thinking I'll have to install a proportioning valve for the brakes but then again maybe not if I go all discs.

Shall have air bags, the SRS will be intact.

Since the GTO has separate amber turn light bulbs shall install into the dual split 68 rear inside lens and for outside lens the combo brake/taillight.

The headlights lo/hi are one filament but are ground controlled from switching instead of power so the single ground lug of 68 halogen's will be power and the 'live' lugs will be switched to gound side switches and relays.
      Polarity doesn't matter but LED 's would of course.

Searching for decent reverse lights into the lower panel-may just use the stock RS type but an Australian company called Stedi has cool LED lights.
      https://www.stedi.com.au/10w-mini-le...light-836.html

Find fog lights and have seen them installed in the large slots and look good.
      If anyone can tell me from experience of using the GTO wiring harness any heads up would be appreciated. Most of this project I roughly planned out-thx

Gutting small pieces out of the GTO

Cut up a replacement rear under seat side to side metal with hump to join the GTO more upright hump and have the front edge braces that strengthen the leaf supports . Removed the GTO motor cradle and will see about adapting to 68 frame as surprisingly the width of frame is about equal but since the motor will sit further back on the downName:  GTO motor cradle.JPG
Views: 1419
Size:  206.6 KB)
      slope this will be my biggest hurdle and did cut out the four(right of frame in photo
      internal frame bolt reinforcements out of GTO to go into 68 frame. Plan to use the fluid mounts which sit upright vertical.

Bill of sale donor GTO

Almost ready for recycling crusher just have the seat belt mount structure all the way up across roof and down both sides to create a 'flat' roll bar whic will have the roof LED lights too-where do you see a convertible with that idea? When I start a project I see it to the end, taking time as I get to it a couple hours a day and more on weekends. Tore down the 68 in Oct 2017, got both full quarters on and internal rear quarter repairs by June 2018, getting 04 GTO in summer and replacing all trunk and top reinforcement's by fall 2018. Rear panel saved, small cowl holes and modest amount of inner rocker mod's and subframe chopped down 3/4" under the front floor as the GTO floor had to sit a little lower than stock to accommodate the massive heat/AC unit. Should really handle well with the motor trans set back 10 inches.
      Name:  Gutted GTO.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  182.0 KB

Floor is almost fully in. Subframe floor mounts.

Have the entire floor in place welded to firewall and rockers and replacement camaro rear seat floor metal blended to GTO floor and had to make boxed pad supports
      for subframe as the GTO floor is irregular in that area but luckily extra steal support runs along the same width of GTO floor as the subframe. Kept the body level front to rear
      and side to side all this time to ensure floor and supports and all are spot on. Wanted to bolt in my home made subframe connectors and all setup to begin the engine/trans mount.
      The aluminum GTO trans crossmember mounts to bottom of floor and so that will be a reference to where the engine cradle will go with about 2-3 degrees decline.
      Frame and hardware will be pulled out later for fully weld and detail for sealants and coatings

Name:  pad mounts.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  238.1 KB

Name:  GTO floor.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  242.6 KB

Floor 90% in. Caged nut subframe done and filling in the cowl ends.

The floor is just about done as had to blend a replacement floor to GTO floor and worked out well with the top braces in place.

Name:  rear floor.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  232.7 KB

Engine in position to check clearances. Headers, compressor and alternator.

Long tube exhaust headers are the used ones off of GTO and they clear the subframe and so far plenty of space. Want to keep the compressor down in the lower right so will need hacking the thick rear crossmember but the alternator is right where the unisteer rack pinion will come up. I don't have rack yet but I may want to modify the mount for the rack rotating rearward and might allow column hookup but I can easily relocate to top right, just throws off the belt length and redo the wiring(have to do some rewiring anyway).
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Trans shot

So far the engine sitting rearward about 8" from original camaro setup is working out fairly well. My biggest push was for a comfortable cruiser adding a lot of time to a restoration but I didn't want to settle for a number of issues: a small aftermarket air with flimsy hoses jammed under the dash(not to mention you lose outside air blend); fighting the floor tunnel for the bigger transmissions; adapting cruise control or spending lots on columns and such; a large display radio/info panel with a possible back up camera;adapting seat mounts and seat costs relocating further back; modern seat belts with shoulder straps and not to mention yea keeping air bags-why not.

Mid floor supports and toeboard supports

Shows the boxed and irregular floor contour supports for the sub-frame and so fortunate the extra strength GTO floor lined up
      with subframe about perfect and next pic extra toe board area floor to body bracing since losing much of the original firewall to cowl. The GTO used the bolt
      in braces you see so modified to bolt into camaro.
      Preparing to build in the 'B' pillar posts for the seat/shoulder straps in the inside quarters, have cut out one side of GTO
      Name:  DSC01145.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  150.5 KB

Name:  DSC01148.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  242.3 KB

Metal reinforced around the old firewall

You can see the 'squashed upper right area to allow the master cylinder lid removal. Didn't want to remove any more along the vertical than had to. Yellow piece is from GTO supports the fuel/emission lines. Placed a similar 40 degree ramp support in bottom left to somewhat match both side's.

Name:  IMG_1071.JPG
Views: 1079
Size:  139.2 KB

Fabbed up the inside floor to side supports. Had to run the main wiring harness through the firewall first, covered with foil to protect it. The left made an access hole for door switch and door wiring but on right didn't have to since the blower hole is an access to that area. I have the front seats in and bolted testing the clearance's along the inner rocker and quarters in prepping the overhead flat rollbar/spoiler.
      Name:  inside floor piece.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  20.1 KB Name:  Inside RT floor to side.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  11.8 KB Name:  LT driver seat to quarter.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  217.9 KB

C5 type hubs and brakes

Went with these C5 type sealed hubs and taller spindle setup from CPP and I think the best way to go without bearing maintenance and the taller spindles at 8 1/4" are about 1 1/4" taller than stock giving more lean back or caster of 5' they advertise. Spindles and hubs will need coatings and the rotors are almost 13 inches. I'm a ways from rolling but Jim/CPP is nice to offer free ship and at less than $900 with the braided caliper lines to frame too.

Windshield to hood fanaglin

Going to fab some kind of deflector or pieces between the hood and the front and possibly over those cowl covers. Just make a smooth transition filler between bottom of glass to the grill pieces.

Name:  DSC01182.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  174.6 KBName:  DSC01183.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  178.5 KB Name:  DSC01180.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  139.2 KB

Done with the cowl, firewall and dash front in satin black

Name:  DSC01213.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  216.7 KB

Rack loosely in position

Looks like by switching the stock aluminum motor mounts gave me plenty of space for the pinion and fitting the stock GTO headers still clears both mounts with just a little banging needed on pass side. The RT right mount is now on left/drive side. Have to 'chop' into the Flame River rack bracket on both lower sides where the compressor and alternator are. So far things are working out without a lot of sweating
      Name:  DSC01243.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  163.5 KB

Name:  DSC01246.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  224.4 KB

On to making the motor crossmember out of the GTO K-member and looks like I can easily use the Holley 302-1 pan.

Crossmember made

Modified the 'H' member out of the GTO using the thickets section and drilling through frame along the dip and
      ended up with great spacing for the Holley 302-1 pan and room enough to remove/install the rack. I utilized the GTO engine standoffs with new GTO hydraulic
      rubber mounts which are vertical. Got about 2 1/2' degrees drop without any shims.

Slight carving of the R/P baracket where the compressor and alternator are. Cutting into the main subframe crossmember comes within about a 1/2" of the rear control arm. I wanted to raise both but all aftermarket bracketry are for the Sanden 508's or what not so this being a V7 variable pressure I needed or wanted to keep the compressor matched to the A/C system avoid finicky dilemmas.

Those are the GTO headers which have worked out well, just slight dimpling from roughly mocking them and looks like the Flaming River pinion can be swiveled or angled to clear through the pass header.

Name:  DSC01262.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  270.5 KB

Name:  DSC01261.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  214.3 KB

Looking at under neath the RT lower control arm and the lower front compressor bolt.
      To add a reinforce plate where I severed through the crossmember.

You can see the two bolt heads on the frame in lower left corner-those bolts in previous photo and all four mounted the K or H member from the
      GTO which mounted from under and into the unibody framing which is reinforced in the GTO. I cut all reinforcement out of the unibody but didn't
      need to use it as 10 or 12 gauge is plenty. Did use the large captive nuts from GTO up inside the member.

Have not started on the drive side alternator clearance but appears won't extend so far into the left side frame.

Name:  DSC01256.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  202.3 KB

I'm going to add the GTO skid plate later on for piece of mind as the new crossmember hangs almost 2" lower than the main crossmember, so not worried about ground clearance as I'm not using drop spindles, stock height CPP C5 spindle/hub setup and rack bracket and GTO floor trans crossmember are all luckily higher.

- - - Updated - - -

On the rack steering meant to say drive side of course

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com