Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Laying in wiring and mounting pedals,booster and clutch master pieces

Installed the air/heat unit and placing wire connectors. Front half of carpet is from GTO as it form fits onto floor so then I'll integrate after
      market carpet with heat barrier to meet.

Name:  DSC01319.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  283.5 KB

T56 had a broke to pieces 5th/6th synchro hub ring.

Had purchased the GTO thru COPART and car had been run off road crashing into a tree, jammed the tail house into floor
      puncturing a hole about the size of a quarter where the 5th/6th fork near that spot breaking the 5th/6th synchro hub.
      The condition of rest of trans is excellent, must have been rebuilt because the friction and brass and dog teeth on synchros
      are in great condition. 135k on GTO, has a slight used clutch. Ordered small parts and hub assembly from Tick.

Name:  DSC01302.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  167.8 KB

The crossmember is done and in primer

Name:  DSC01320.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  175.4 KB

Name:  DSC01321.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  154.1 KB
      First pic is crossmember modified from the GTO 4 bolt cradle and second is the right
      crossmember carefully cut for the A/C compressor. Had to weld nuts onto member of rear lower control arms
      because the Flame river rack plate blocks access. You can see I added a plate back in of rear crossmember to allow
      all four compressor bolts. That gap at arm pit of subframe and that added plate has to be from underneath for bracket and bolt.
      Funky shape member but have 2 1/2' drop of motor and trans and so far no shims needed.

See the modified rack bracket where the compressor cuts into, still is plenty strong-I hope!

Going with an aftermarket pulley set for alternator and pump. Alternator would cut into control arm too much.

Brake and fuel lines taken from GTO

Crossmember made from the GTO support reusing the bolts through the subframe into the GTO's capture nuts. Have 2 1/2 degrees drop with trans all set up. Nice spacing between the rack , member and pan and member is about inch lower than all else which is ideal as shall bolt in the GTO skid plate. The steering shaft fishes through the headers, having to dimple a good amount of #1 pipe only.
      2nd photo see the right side compressor mod in main crossmember.
      '

Name:  DSC01333.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  272.7 KB

Name:  DSC01327.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  266.8 KB

Hey, looks great! Keep up the awesome work. I can't wait to see more progress. If you get a chance, could you take a picture of the car from further away? I'd be cool to get a 'whole car' perspective.

Got the tremec 6 speed back together, first time in this type trans with just one messup and luckily was up top in the extension countershaft where the 5th 6th gears are. Before installing that extension assembly pressing the synchronizer assembly in press the slider had popped off one side(don't ask how but no problem getting it together again). Well, after installing everything and just placing the tail house on with trans still vertical, test shifting all gears good except 5th and 6th...what? Since all gears except that one selector position wasn't moving the 5th/6th fork up top or at least acting like it wasn't down in the main case, decided to first pull out the extension shaft and sure enough the 3 keys didn't line up with the blank spaces in both blocker rings but did have the
      hub keys lined up in with the sleeve indents.

Mocking up the overhead flat 'roll bar'.

Just clamping in the GTO roof reinforcement and side 'B' pillars cut out of the GTO and so happens the L/R pillar's works better switched sides on the 68 of angular proportions. The lower quarter vertical sheet metal I cut out of GTO which houses the seat belt retractor is positioned to integrate to upper 'B' pillar and all this I have to allow 1/8" to 3/16" for panel making later. All four windows will be power and I mentioned in a previous post the door scissors are about identical to first gen camaros and possibly many others which allows you to keep same tracks and window support of course, just have to position the electric motor assembly into door(that was suprising). I cut out the motor mount panel of GTO doors to use into 68. So much has played out in my favor-have been lucky on a lot of this.

Name:  DSC01348.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  254.7 KB

Fuel and brake and emission line. Shield is GTO.

Reusing clamps and as much as I can off of GTO. Using 6mm alloy inserts for those clamps into floor and further back. Looked into aftermarket tanks with TANKS INC but right off I'm just gonna use the GTO tank to start car and all as it is a returnless/regulated in tank, quick and easy to feed into trunk hole.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Figuring in DZUS fasteners

About 8-10 hours I figure just to figure out how to attach and detach the overhead belt support.

Name:  DSC01356.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  162.7 KB

Seta belt overhead

This has been a pain as 3 pieces, middle and the borrowed 'B' pillars from GTO getting it all lined up but patience paid off. The 2 heavy dzus fasteners on each side securely keeps it in place and with belt use even at 80 on road should be fine. Removable but would involve unbolting the belt attachment.

Lots of amazing quality work here, Really like how the firewall turned out!

So it will have a “roll bar” of sorts?
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Tack welded the ohead panel will have the shoulder belts at sides(you can see belt) and the GTO LED cabin light middle mount.
      Name:  IMG_1421.JPG
Views: 919
Size:  109.7 KB

I wanted to add flair to the body and about had to create something to mount the shoulder belt since I'm using the electric GTO seats and the ohead light is a plus. Thought just a rise along the quarter but just a post sticking up would be odd. I could have just welded it all in but desired to be removeable when installing the top and later finishing in the previous back seat interior area, no head bumping. Course later coverings for all this.

Homemade door support and radiator support

Set up a saw horse to hold doors and the only mod was welding casters on.

Positioning the radiator/fan unit/condensor assembly from GTO to make sure A/C hard lines and electrical will easily reach.

Name:  DSC01364.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  216.4 KB

Name:  DSC01363.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  285.1 KB

Getting lucky with feeding this low side return hose through the cowl hole.

Name:  DSC01368.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  169.8 KB

Brackets made. Brakes about ready. PS is made,tight.

Have the radiator, clutch master and recovery brackets made. Reused the GTO connecting coolant pipes. Not much space for the battery tray in RF corner, battery fits so may modify the tray. The long relay box and the cruise control has to be on the pass side fender-well so that side will be crowded. Have all brake lines in, just have the rear brake line to connect up. Spun the steering pump, new rack reacts so looks good. Can barely see the steering cooler below piping all on same bracket. Attachment 176443

Name:  DSC01388.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  295.0 KB

Name:  DSC01389.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  259.0 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: New Zealand
      Quote Originally Posted by GB68 View Post
      Shows the boxed and irregular floor contour supports for the sub-frame and so fortunate the extra strength GTO floor lined up
      with subframe about perfect and next pic extra toe board area floor to body bracing since losing much of the original firewall to cowl. The GTO used the bolt
      in braces you see so modified to bolt into camaro.
      Preparing to build in the 'B' pillar posts for the seat/shoulder straps in the inside quarters, have cut out one

Attachment 165032
      **** im glad im on the other side of the world from this death trap

Can you tell me what is so 'deathly'? I'm building a 'safe and solid car', better than factory. Are you a car builder or just an armor all applier?

always gonna be haters out there, don't worry about it

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com