Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Need help selecting cam for my setup.

Need some guidance from you guys on cam selection for my setup.

Iv done a great amount of research and still don’t really have a good understanding of cam specs that favor higher rpm. Quick overview of my engine, GM truck 5.3l Aluminum block bored out to 3.905in for use of ls1 pistons with valve reliefs, 4.8l short stroke crank (3.267in) should be around 312 cu in. Texas speed ported heads w/ 2.02 intake and 1.575 ex valve, 58cc chamber, 11.3:1 compression. Dual valve springs, titanium retainers. Supposedly flows 308in and 223ex. High rise intake.

Car is light, cant see it being more than 2800lbs. Tremec magnum and manual brakes. Track days, autocross, street in that order. I already had the motors so that’s why I went with the 5.3 and 4.8l. Plus a low trq, high rpm hp (7-8K) motor sounds perfect for some corner exits.

Talked to Texas speed and they recommended their m\Magic Stick 3 cam. Specs: 238/242 .600”/.600” Personally I thought lift would be perfect but duration to be a little much for the small cubes? But the engine can definitely flow some air so that’s where I would like your guys opinion. Thanks guys and gals!

-Shawn

Shawn,

I am no cam expert, but looking at those cam specs it leads me to believe that the MS3 cam has relatively gentle cam lobes, which I personally feel is better for overall durability and sustained high RPM operation. Seems like a reasonable cam recommendation. I would also make sure your oiling system is up to par. Might consider a oil accumulator...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Shawn,

I am no cam expert, but looking at those cam specs it leads me to believe that the MS3 cam has relatively gentle cam lobes, which I personally feel is better for overall durability and sustained high RPM operation. Seems like a reasonable cam recommendation. I would also make sure your oiling system is up to par. Might consider a oil accumulator...

Andrew
      Thanks for the input Andrew. You made a good point about valvetrain durability, i didn't really think much about that previously. And yes i was looking into a accusump and different ported oil pumps to keep things oiled. I finally got the motor and trans mounted in so now i can start researching oil pans that wont starve during corners also.

The Holley pans has good baffling inserts available.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com