Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I'm doing it because nobody makes what I want, and I WILL have what I want if it means putting it together to the last bolt. I'd buy it if I could because deep down, if I'm really honest with myself, I'm a lazy son of a bugger. Nah, let's be honest, my laziness isn't all that deep.

What I really want is a pickup truck that causes organ damage on a WOT launch, tops out over the speed of sound, pulls 20Gs on a skid pad and run Nuremberg in about 32 seconds. Sadly, I'll never have this mystical truck, but I can certainly strive. My more realistic goal is, my brother has a 2013 Camaro that he's dropping a supercharged LS engine somewhere over 400CID, and I'd like him to see my tail lights at the drag strip. Going touring style because drag strips are not a regular part of my life, but corners are.

I like Pro Tour builds, the only drawback I see is the costs to do a high end build, even doing it DIY.
      For daily driving I have a Pontiac Solstice Coupe that for modern driving beats any of my old cars for dependability and driver comfort and it looks cool and unique too, but lacks the 60's style, and while I do have three '68 Firebirds none are what you'd call Pro Tour.
      One is a Vintage Road Race car, pretty old school with a few upgrades. An absolute blast to race.
      One is the first car I ever bought while in HS back in 1976. 4 bolt RA-V block, stroked to 433, Ported Iron heads, hyd roller cam, dual quads, M-22 tranny, 12 bolt, just restored it and kept the same concept as when I first bought it. It was and is basically a day two hot rod street car.

The third is an all original base model Convertible I've had since 1985, drove it for years but it's now in dire need of restoration. You'd think this would be the easy one to decide on but it's been the hardest.
      As a base model OHC-6, 3 speed, it drives like crap, has no power, drum brakes, manual steering, 14" wheels, open diff. The real value is that it's a fairly rust free 68 convertible. Restored it would be cool but it's would still drive like crap and still not be worth much. I know if I were to sell it the next owner would yank the drivetrain and upgrade it. If it were a Sprint-6 it might be worth preserving but a base model? No.
      So, down into the PT rabbit hole I go into my first Pro Tour build. In every way it will be a better car, it will lose some of it's soul but not all and be a much better car to drive and enjoy for years to come.

But, either a Pontiac V8 or OHC Sprint-6 engine will go in, there will be no LS or SBC swap into any of my Pontiacs, I do draw the line there. Like some say they walk past the hot new car to look at the classic, I walk past any LS'd classic to get to something with a traditional engine. The engine is the heart and soul of a car regardless of what you do underneath. It's probably a generational thing for me, but an LS engine just doesn't look right in a 60's-70's Classic.
      To each there own as it's their car to do their way, this is my way.

Huh. I am looking at a 68 convertible myself. Considering replacing my 2016 SS Camaro convertible. I had various plans running through my head for it including LS:T56. But it does have a fresh 350 that could probably be a 400hp motor with heads and a cam for not much money. I would go more restomod than PT for this one. But interesting to hear your thoughts as a long time Pontiac guy. This would be my first ever. Always had Chevys.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I know I've had guys in late model muscle tell me they wish they could build a muscle car like mine but lacked the ability... and that the late model was the closest thing they could get to it.

My car doesn't really look PT from the outside (which was my intent), so all they really see at the stop light is a 71 Camaro with different wheels.... but my guess is if that's how they feel about "just" a classic muscle car, it'd be even more so for a real PT car that's on the scale of what you guys are doing on this site and Lateral g (which pretty much makes my PT job look like a rice burner )
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

I couldn’t read every response to this very valid question ——— but for me - the answer would be - because one is a car and one is a hobby.... for many of us it’s (the old car) the brick and the people we meet and hang with is the glue. It’s about a common bond with like minded people. New cars could arguably have that “The Porsche Club” comes to mind - but the bond with people that actually dreamed up their ride and the mods and the work and blood and sweat and tears not to mention countless hours.... that just isn’t the same as the “new car” club.

For me I would have to say it would be pride in bringing life to an old build my dad started with my mom before I was even a thought.

From when I was just a little kid probably like 6 or 8 always seeing a blue car with a blanket over the top of it with boxes on it, dad would only take it out every once in awhile. He would always tell me I would cry in the back seat because it was to I Loud. I’m 26 now working in the oil fields building this car the way I seen in the magazines (pro-touring) I always wanted to be that kid daily driving a classic muscle car, one day at a time I’m getting closer and every time my dad comes over and sees it I can tell he’s happy because it’s not just sitting.... well technically it is but you know what I’m saying. I actually ended up loosing a girlfriend of 2 years because I was spending to much time on the car. Long story short it’s not a modest muscle car and everyone from grandmas to little kids love classic muscle car Name:  IMG_0624.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  129.7 KB

If you have to ask, you don't get it.......
      Lucas Johnson

1972 Mach 1 552", my first car
      1974 F100 daily beater/race truck. 396" aluminum headed Ford FE
      1963 Riviera, 401" Nailhead, low and slow cruiser
      1970 Cadillac Coupe Deville, 472" road trip car

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Mach1 View Post
      Yup. I just traded in my M6 coupe after about a year. Awesome car and arguably everything you'd try to get in a mega dollar pro-touring build.

Everything except character.

I don't play golf, don't own a boat, don't have a safe full of guns and other collectables. It's been my hobby and stress relief for many years. Although as like some of you, I told my wife it's the last build, this one is because the age factor is setting in. This can be and is to me an expensive hobby (most hobbys are anyway). Can't believe how much money can be spent on golf alone! I have the option to retire next year, if that happens the money printer slows down a lot! The 64 F-85 PT should be in the DFW area streets next year and will see some of you guys on cruises like Power Tour etc. My wife says it's going to be our RV to travel in. In addition to all that, we plan on downsizing next year too and there goes the shop with the lift. The days of laying under a car that's on jack stands and doing bench presses with a transmission have come and gone. And we still have the 63 Corvette that needs attention.
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      64 F-85 post car Resto-Mod project-my RV when I retire

Five reasons. First, I've always been into classic Pontiacs, and the thought of being able to have one that performs more like a modern car really appeals to me. Second, I enjoy the process of building the car, as well as the challenge of staying true to the original plan of maintaining a factory vibe and keeping it Pontiac powered. Third, I like that the outcome will be familiar yet completely unique--a reflection of 7-8 years of decisions. Fourth, I'm a hobbyist, so the project has necessarily involved other people with whom I've grown a lot closer. Finally, even though I'm a business school professor, I apparently don't understand the concept of sunk costs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Mach1 View Post
      I agree.
      1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - Not LS-swapped, 5.7L Hemi [MS3 Gold Box], T56 Magnum 6-speed - 'Cuda Build Page
      1976 Dodge D100 - Warlock
      2016 Subaru WRX - E30 Tune

I love new muscle cars! They offer great technology we can transplant into my 1966 Nova SS Build thread!
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Hotwheelz-I wish I had developed the fabrication skills you have to build cars like yours. I thought perhaps when I do retire from work-clinical chemistry labs sales-maybe go to work in custom build fab shop. There's several here in the DFW area. Give me something to do and learn...
      64 F-85 post car Resto-Mod project-my RV when I retire

Because it is fun to make an old car new again and beat up on the new muscle cars. Buying a new muscle car and just driving it is not the same as building a car and enjoying the benefits of the fruit of your labor.
      --
      Kenny Mitchell
      [email protected]

All I've ever worked on is drag cars. I wanted a hot rod of my own, and it occurred to me that I could enjoy a car a lot more if I could drive it on the street, take it to the autocross, and maybe do some Friday night test and tune at the dragstrip, or maybe even a standing mile event. Obviously, my time and budget constraints mean that it would do all of those things fairly well, but not be biased towards any one area. But isn't that what Pro Touring is? Granted, some cars do nearly everything VERY well, while some, like mine, are destined to perhaps be lower on the performance totem pole, but certainly no less gratifying. The other thing is that a pretty average guy, with his pretty average buddies, can build a pretty nice car that's a whole lot of fun. And at the same time, make a whole lot of new friends and get to see some pretty out of this world craftsmanship in this genre of car.

Pro Touring has a lot going for it.

Travis

Quote Originally Posted by TQuillen View Post
      All I've ever worked on is drag cars. I wanted a hot rod of my own, and it occurred to me that I could enjoy a car a lot more if I could drive it on the street, take it to the autocross, and maybe do some Friday night test and tune at the dragstrip, or maybe even a standing mile event. Obviously, my time and budget constraints mean that it would do all of those things fairly well, but not be biased towards any one area. But isn't that what Pro Touring is? Granted, some cars do nearly everything VERY well, while some, like mine, are destined to perhaps be lower on the performance totem pole, but certainly no less gratifying. The other thing is that a pretty average guy, with his pretty average buddies, can build a pretty nice car that's a whole lot of fun. And at the same time, make a whole lot of new friends and get to see some pretty out of this world craftsmanship in this genre of car.

Pro Touring has a lot going for it.

Travis
      Travis,

I couldn't agree more. I drive my Cougar everyday and enjoy it very much.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Just my opinion, but most (not all) of the new stuff is ugly. It might be easier to buy a new car, but then you have a production car, just like the other 5 guys in your neighborhood. Then you have to try and modify it while making car payments and insurance payments. My trucks might not be able to outrun the new stuff, but even in the horrible shape they are in, I have to keep signs in them that say "NOT FOR SALE". I get 4 or 5 offers a week. I get a "nice car" every once in awhile with the charger, but the classic trucks draw a crowd.

The old cars are raw and unrefined, which in and of itself is a draw.

The new muscle cars are like cartoon caricatures of the real thing or a designer trying to capture the essence or what you remember the car looks like. But they are not the real thing, they are too refined.

I want EFI for its obvious benefits, I want the T-56 so I can drive it on the highway, I want the better brakes, better seat, and etcetera.

Plus I bought it for $350 30+ years ago. We go back a ways. We did cruise nights together "back in the day". My best friend Dave rode shotgun on occasion and he is no longer around. So yes, definitely some sentimental value as well.

Country Flag: Canada
      Because, beside any modern car NOBODY will be looking at the other car ... 8)

IMG_6761 by Steve Heck, on Flickr
      Build it right ... 'The 2nd Time !!'
      69' SS/RS X11 PRO-TOURING E-Force LS7 - SOLD
      2 Custom FJ40's -SOLD
      Next - "Killer Piggy" & 77' 911 Hotrod

Quote Originally Posted by therobski View Post
      Hotwheelz-I wish I had developed the fabrication skills you have to build cars like yours. I thought perhaps when I do retire from work-clinical chemistry labs sales-maybe go to work in custom build fab shop. There's several here in the DFW area. Give me something to do and learn...
      A member here on pro-touring, Mike is building my car. He has a vision and then puts that vision into action.

i saw his 66 Nova SS and pester him to buy his 66 Nova SS and that didn't happen. I almost bought a TURD and mike went to pick it up and turned away much to my relief and gratitude and he found this Blue Gem and the rest is now my 1966 Nova SS build thread.

Mike has the skills!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com