Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 89 S10 Blazer

Since all the shut downs and in between jobs I have had plenty of time to work on the house, yard, and Blazer. Almost done with the cage finally! It was a lot of learning but think it is turning out great and can't wait to get started on the bodywork!

Not Blazer related but had to share a picture. Probably the most stress I have had to deal with in years with my whole life and career on my trailer. I am now officially jobless until this virus crap is over. :(

Country Flag: United States
      Did the business close, or did you get laid off? I am at home til at least 4/14, so I should have plenty of time to work on my S10 and Neon. And maybe do some maintenance on my Mazda and install my GF's dad's radio, and... lol

One thing I've always hated about having a bigger tool box, is that you can't just quit and walk out, since you'll have to come back for the box. lol
      (j/K, kinda)

Jay

No they didn't close but I gave my notice right before the virus stuff started. I worked for them for 18 years and been through many buy outs but the last one is a little too much for me so moving on, but the virus has slowed autobody down something fierce so the new shop isn't sure when I can start. :(

Update on the Blazer though. She is sitting on her own tires again finally! I was able to get my suspension bolted in yesterday and it is all within 1 mil so should take an alignment no problem. Tomorrow hoping to get the quarter panels cut out so I can get my desired ride height and start on my wide body again and was going to start today but the shop needed a good cleaning so got side tracked. I still have some cage and frame supports to finish but need a break from chassis fab and really excited to start on the bodywork. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymzz View Post
      No they didn't close but I gave my notice right before the virus stuff started. I worked for them for 18 years and been through many buy outs but the last one is a little too much for me so moving on, but the virus has slowed autobody down something fierce so the new shop isn't sure when I can start. :(
      That sucks. Around me, a lot of body shop chains seem to be changing to a company called "Gerber." Who bought the old place out?

Update on the Blazer though. She is sitting on her own tires again finally! I was able to get my suspension bolted in yesterday and it is all within 1 mil so should take an alignment no problem. Tomorrow hoping to get the quarter panels cut out so I can get my desired ride height and start on my wide body again and was going to start today but the shop needed a good cleaning so got side tracked. I still have some cage and frame supports to finish but need a break from chassis fab and really excited to start on the bodywork. :D
      Not something I heard a lot from the body guys I've worked with in the past. lol

Jay

I'm so glad to see that in spite of everything else you've had trying to bring your motivation down, you're keeping this project rolling. Nothing makes me feel better than shop time.

It's looking really good and I'm so excited to see it sitting like that. I love what you are doing. I can also relate to jumping on different tasks as you get bogged down. Sometimes you just need to focus on a different area so it doesn't start to feel mundane. Keep it up!
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

The company I worked for years was called Kadel's then bought out by Abra and now Caliber. Caliber is a horrible company to work for IMO. I am now starting for Gerber hopefully next Wednesday as long as this virus crap doesn't shut them down also.
      I got in the trade to do custom bodywork but found out really quick that it doesn't pay the bills so stuck with collision. I absolutely love taking something normal looking and put my vision to it for something unique and that's why I am excited to start on the body again.
      I did get the quarters cut out today but didn't get any pictures yet but should have some tomorrow evening. I am working on the brake vents and rear wheel well vents right now.

Got a lot done yesterday and today. Fabing up the brake vents ended up being a lot more time consuming than I thought they would but they are almost done. The rear quarters are ending up being a lot more work than I originally planned because basically rebuilding the whole rear of the Blazer but it will all function as planned hopefully. Here is where I left off today. Ran out of steam...

Got a lot done yesterday and today. Fabing up the brake vents ended up being a lot more time consuming than I thought they would but they are almost done. The rear quarters are ending up being a lot more work than I originally planned because basically rebuilding the whole rear of the Blazer but it will all function as planned hopefully. Here is where I left off today. Ran out of steam...
      Since widebodies are hot right now, I've seen a lot of people trying a lot of different things. Some work, some don't.
      Then I had an idea...I wonder about using Envoy front fenders as a base. Seems like a quick and easy way to get a uniform
      shape and make sure the top doesn't have a bunch of funky angles. It seems like the tops of the "flare" is where most people go wrong.
      Can't wait to see how these turn out.

Name:  s-l640.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  27.4 KB

Stole this from an eBay ad, but you can get aftermarket fenders as low as $30!

Jay

I am only doing a widebody because of the Corvette width. I did look at many other ways before cutting up my Blazer to be able to run a stock width body with C5 suspension.

Here is where I left off today. My welder decided to burn up a drive motor this morning so need to order one asap. I was wondering why it was welding a little odd last night and this morning when it stopped welding and smoke started pouring out of it. :( I ran down to grab my other welder at work but found out I am starting Wednesday so decided to take the rest of today off and work on my house tomorrow instead. So excited to go back to work!

inspiring work

I appreciate your posts and this thread. I have a 91 Sonoma that I've been drawing up wide body designs for and surprisingly this is the only wide body mod for a S10/blazer/sonoma i have found that is as exaggerated as what I am going for, and it has definitely reinforced my desire to go with a wide body. Its looking great, and i cant wait to see your progress.

Thank you!

So quick update. I started my new job last week and it is really slow so they told me to bring in my Blazer to have something to do in between jobs coming in. I have been working on it a little here and there but not much worth pictures but did realize something today. I now have all my good tools and a spot welder I can use if needed!

Got some odd looks towing it to work lol

And the Blazer's new home for a while.

"I don't always listen to my music loud, but when I do, so do my co-workers." lol

Good deal. One of the best jobs I ever had was as a detailer at a body shop. When I used to go to weekly car meets, they'd let me stay late by myself to wash my car before I went. Even tho I'd only been there like a week. lol

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      "I don't always listen to my music loud, but when I do, so do my co-workers." lol
      And so do the neighbors haha

Been getting a lot of little stuff done on the Blazer the last couple of weeks. I am learning as I go and it seems to be taking a lot longer than I would like making parts but it is fun.

I started on the rear sheet metal and have the rear quarter panels almost done but need to get the inner metal done before I finish them up.

Needed a break from sheet metal so started back on the cage and chassis. I have a few more bars to add in and finish the front frame horns but the chassis and cage are almost done.

Just realized I have not updated my thread. Work is starting to pick up again so only been able to work on the Blazer here and there but that's a good thing!

Low and wide! Not anytime soon but trying to figure out something for the back besides the usual rollpan.

Cage is almost done and starting on the floor supports. I do have a few more bars to add to the cage still but getting close to done!

How is business picking up? Nobody is supposed to be going anywhere. lol How are people wrecking cars, lol.

Jay

People are still having their cars fixed. Definitely slow but some money in the bank is better than none.

For sure. Everything is so weird right now. Apparently the post office is close to insolvency because they said people weren't sending as many packages, but since everyone is supposed to be staying home it would seem like they'd be buying online and shipping stuff. I have been. And I've had packages getting backed up or misplaced for like a week.

Jay

Sorry it has been so long for an update. Work has picked up some and now that I am done remodeling my bedroom I can start working on the Blazer more hopefully.

Front hoop done. Goal is to be able to drop all the running gear out of the bottom for easier maintenance.

Back is almost done. Excited on how it is turning out.

Taking a break from chassis and starting on the rear sheetmetal. I did get the gussets welded in and the rear end completely bolted in a couple weeks ago.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com