Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 89 S10 Blazer

89 S10 Blazer

I just joined here and decided to move my build thread to this forum because of the knowledge the members here have and also the willingness to help with ideas. So before I begin I am a bodyman by trade and have an insane love for anything with four wheels. I could use some thoughts on my build because this is the first massive build I have attempted and any ideas would be appreciated.

So here is my Blazer. I bought it with the plans to throw a LT4 and six speed in it but keep it reliable and as a daily driver. Since then many years later and a few engines later I was convinced she was cursed so she sat in the driveway where the towtruck left her for about a year. I bought a TBSS during this year as my daily and couldn't be happier, but looking at my Blazer sitting there sad dirty and lonely I tried to sell her. I had someone very interested and at a very good price but realized I love my Blazer a little to much to let her go, so decided to just go all out. I want to learn major fabrication and plan someday to do it for a living and the Blazer seemed like a good start.

The day I bought her second owner and all stock except lowered a little.

First engine. I swapped the LT1 to obd2 and retained ac and all comforts in a daily.

This was the day before the last engine gave out. I had just put on my front big brakes too. :(

When I decided to keep the Blazer got it right in the shop and started the tear down and got a solid game plan on sectioning it four inches to bring the center of gravity down among other benefits.

Mocking up my cage. I am still trying to figure out how to run my door bars. I just got the seats I am going to use so after my front end is done I can start messing around with placement again.

Got the engine in and was getting body mounts made and was going to start on the floor but had a major plan change. Had a front end fall in my lap.

Cut the hump out of the frame for more head clearance

Seats I am going to run. Love how I fit in them and excited to get them mounted so I can get the cage and floor done.

And here is where I am at now. Putting 2002 Z06 front supension in it. Also considering putting the rear end in also but still debating that one. There is a lot of pictures in between these during progress so if interested I can put more up. This is a project I am hoping to have out and racing by spring 2020. Before I got the front suspension I was trying for 2019 but now now need to wide body it which is going to take time. But good thing is it will give me time to build a LS engine for it. Not going to try to run the lt's anymore.

Country Flag: United States
      Seems like a solid start to me. I think we need to swap knowledge as I know fabrication pretty well, but can't do body work at all.

I'm jealous of your vette suspension find. I personally would do the rear too since you're already in there and have to modify the body. Seat and cage look pretty serious. What type of events are you planning on running in?

And we love pictures around here so share away!

-Sean
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Honestly building just to build it. Have always wanted to build something from the ground up. I have done the serious racing for points in the past and now just want something to go screw around in. But mainly I really want to do some track days and hill climbs. Safety is my main concern after some wrecks in the past. When I wrecked my formula 500 it broke my shoulder and some other nasty bruises. Thank goodness for my new helmet and other safety equipment.
      I love to share knowledge of what I know. I have trained many kids in the collision industry and now growing bored of it, so really want to start fabricating. I have an idea for my next build. I have two lt4's that need rebuild and a six speed transmission that I want to build a hotrod with next.

Another Blazer build, sweet! Welcome Jaymzz!

Will definitely be following along on your build.

I'm sticking with the gen2 engine platform, just to be a weirdo. I'll take one of those LT4's off your hands if you need to get rid of one. ;)

I thought about staying with the lt series engines but power to money is so drastically different between ls and lt.

I was looking around the internet trying to get ideas for building my shock towers and upper control arm mounts and came across this setup. Anyone heard of them?
      http://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance

I've come across them before. Can't say that I've ever seen anyone with their stuff. Looks like it's overbuilt with nice machining, but we know it's not all about looks.

It's spendy, but could save a good bit of fabrication time. I love that diff adapter too, but wow that's a chunk of change compared to my Mark VIII rear end!

I am liking it because I wouldn't have to widen my Blazer five inches per side if I used these parts. Plus it would make everything easily serviceable if ever needed.

I didn't even think about you not having to do flares with this kit. Good point. Although we both know it would look mean as hell with big flares all around.

I do also love the ease of service that allows. I'm actually kind of jealous of that fact since I'm having to custom fab all my mounts.

Wasn't aware of his current stuff but I vividly remember his ProStreet J2000 from 1986 and his compound blown Nova. Guess that just proves I'm old.
      The tucked-in Vette suspension would be very cool but I'm really hoping you wide body it. Flares ftw.

Didn't have time to call him today but am tomorrow to see there options. I want to see if they just sell the upper control mounts or if I would have to use the whole kit.

Just got off of the phone about the c5 conversion kits. For the money I am going to build my own and widen the Blazer for tire clearance. Very nice guy and was very enjoyable to talk with.

It will be worth it. Make some sexy metal flares. It is cool that you were able to speak with him directly. I wish him all the best as his products look VERY well designed.

Agreed they are very nice! I am going to be watching his website for upcoming projects.

I could use some opinions and thoughts. I have been thinking about my Blazer all week and decided to use front and rear C5 suspension and also the C5 running gear. Problem being is that when done there will be about four feet of original frame, so thinking it would be better to just make a whole new frame and that way I build the frame wider so it runs along my rockers for complete open access to the running gear. I would think it would be cleaner and also more room for everything. Thoughts? If I do this will probably fab it up at work so I can use the frame rack and measuring system to make it perfect. I wouldn't think it should take more than a weekend or two to make a new frame out of 2x4 metal.
      Older picture but here is the stock frame location. I would think running 2x4 metal down the inside of both rockers with some cross braces would be good. Learning here so would love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymzz View Post
      I was looking around the internet trying to get ideas for building my shock towers and upper control arm mounts and came across this setup. Anyone heard of them?
      http://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance
      Is that Rick Dobbertin of Pro Street J2000 fame? He's been building wild hot rods since the 80's at least.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/rick-dobbertins-j2000/

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymzz View Post
      I could use some opinions and thoughts. I have been thinking about my Blazer all week and decided to use front and rear C5 suspension and also the C5 running gear. Problem being is that when done there will be about four feet of original frame, so thinking it would be better to just make a whole new frame and that way I build the frame wider so it runs along my rockers for complete open access to the running gear. I would think it would be cleaner and also more room for everything. Thoughts? If I do this will probably fab it up at work so I can use the frame rack and measuring system to make it perfect. I wouldn't think it should take more than a weekend or two to make a new frame out of 2x4 metal.
      Older picture but here is the stock frame location. I would think running 2x4 metal down the inside of both rockers with some cross braces would be good. Learning here so would love to hear anyone's thoughts
      Solid question...I've been battling this thought myself. I would say do it since you have access to everything you need to do it right. That corvette drive train is so different in how it mounts that you'll probably end up saving yourself a ton of time beginning with a blank slate. I don't have enough space myself to build a perfectly straight frame so I'm not going that far.

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      Is that Rick Dobbertin of Pro Street J2000 fame? He's been building wild hot rods since the 80's at least.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/rick-dobbertins-j2000/

Jay
      Yes it is. He was very cool to talk to on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      Solid question...I've been battling this thought myself. I would say do it since you have access to everything you need to do it right. That corvette drive train is so different in how it mounts that you'll probably end up saving yourself a ton of time beginning with a blank slate. I don't have enough space myself to build a perfectly straight frame so I'm not going that far.
      That's what I was thinking also. Only drawback is already have 3/4 cage welded in to frame. But I can figure something out there.

Absolutely YES on the frame widening.
      If I had to do mine over again the frame would be kicked out to the rockers.
      More stable platform and eliminate a bunch of stuffing 10 pounds of stuff into a 5 pound size hole.

I am getting ready to order a bunch of metal for a new frame. Not sure when I will be able to build it yet though because of Christmas around the corner and super busy at work. When I do get started will update with lots of pictures. Been working 6 days a week and a lot of hours so still need to get out in the shop and measure and draw up plans for the frame.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com