Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 89 S10 Blazer

Country Flag: United States
      Oh man that looks like a fun start! I would think 2x4 for the main frame might speed up and simplify the foundation, but either way will look awesome and work better.

Your improved weight bias will make all us truck guys jealous.

'95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

I think tube all the way through would be awesome and give me a ton of room in the cockpit, but for speed of build and ease 2x4 might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymzz View Post
      so went and got this today! 2002 z06 rear end, torque tube, bellhousing and 6 speed manual transmission. Also got a junk block so i can start mocking everything up. Now starting to save for all the metal i am going to need to build a tube chassis. Still looking into if i want to do tube all the way through or build a 2x4 frame.
      yes!
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here
      check out Opentracker Racing Products

After picking up my rear end last weekend I started looking into tube chassis vs building a 2x4 frame. I do think the frame would be quicker and easier but I am building this Blazer to learn the ins and outs of building tube chassis. A friend wants me to build him a cage for his drag Honda and we started talking about tube vs frame and first off tube would be completely bad ass, but it also would be a good challenge and help me learn more than 2x4. So I started looking into full RR tube setups and put the 2x4 out of my mind. In turn when I was doing some reading I am considering doing https://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance again. He sells a kit for tube chassis and it would take all the guess work out of my suspension and make it completely bolt in and easier to maintenance. I am slowly learning about suspension and all the angels beyond just collision at work but it is starting to confuse me a little. Worried I would get it all welded in and be off just enough to handle horribly or pre mature wear on parts.

So I was cleaning the garage today and once I could see my whole Blazer again got sidetracked. lol
      While waiting on funds for tube decided to start planning the bodywork I am going to need to do for everything to fit.

Started by putting my rear wheels on the front since they will be my new front wheels. They are 18x10 and right now have 275/35 18 tires on them but plan on running a 285 or 295 on the front. Then I decided to see how wide I am going to have to widen the fenders.

Wheels barely clear the brakes but they will work thankfully.

Now that is going to be wide! I am going to have to re arch the front and rear because I want it 2-3 inches lower.

Are you going to keep the irs the stock width? I had looked into the dobbertin setup at one point. To be honest after looking through your build I think that you can handle the the placement of the irs. As long as you get the cradle square the suspension geometry is already done. I built my truck for the sole purpose of autocross and some road course use. You can do it!

I plan on keeping stock c5 width and widen the body. Since I am waiting on money for tube going to start widening the front fenders this weekend. The Dobbertin parts will take most of the guess work out of my build. I did talk to him about narrowing the front about two inches but changed my mind so I can have extra Underhood space for future upgrades.

There was a very inspirational post I saw the other day on a forum I go to everyday. I have psoriatic arthritis and have some ok days and some very bad days. I call it a work yourself to death disease because while I am working and staying very active my body doesn't hurt as bad. The problem is when you work on cars at work for 12-14 hours a day it is hard to come home and do the same thing at night and weekends mentally. This post I read really lifted my spirits and got me thinking....ALOT I have been a little down lately because of the pain and also having spent all my extra money on my TBSS so couldn't buy what I wanted to for my s10. I am not the one to announce my health to people because I hate sympathy but that one comment on a thread just lifted my spirits big time. So from that I have a middle of the week update. :D

I put the front end together tonight to get an accurate measurement of how wide I need to go with the fenders. So after getting the front end together and getting the front suspension lined up where it will be the survey says I need to widen it 5 inches. The question is that I am thinking about bringing the front suspension forward a couple inches to gain a little more wheelbase. I am already cutting the fenders up to widen them so moving the wheel arch forward a little wont be much more work and also it won't be enough to make it look any different than a stock s10 length wise. In my head it is telling me that I will have a little better high speed stability but not entirely sure.

This is going to be sooooo bad ass, keep it up, you'll get it
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

Thanks! I am excited now that there is a solid gameplan.

Just remember that the shorter wheelbase vehicles have an advantage on smaller, tighter courses. That being said, I don't think it's a bad idea to add a couple inches since this thing is so short already.

On the struggle with doing fun vs job projects..I've been there mentally, but without the legit pain you live with. It's why I got out of doing service work. I HATED working on my car after fixing other people junk all day. Now that it's on my terms, my projects are closer to therapy than a job. I always made sure to just take a fun drive to remind me why I wanted to work on my stuff. Your TBSS is a great example of what the reward is for your efforts.

Keep pushing. We all wanna see this happen! And I need more competition when I bring mine to your part of the country. ;)
      '95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Thanks dude. If my wife can get time off we are trying to go to Phoenix this summer to see if we can deal with the heat. Doctors say moving out of Oregon would be good for me joint wise. That's why I have that other thread asking about Arizona.
      Out doing a major stretch job on my Blazer this weekend. Finally have it planned where to start cutting. :D

Started on my fenders today for the widebody. Also went and picked up the rear diff for the C5 running gear and that was spendy. :(
      Also took off the rest of the mouldings and stainless this morning. I have been putting that off because I really worried about rust underneath the stainless. Great news is no rust at all!!!

It took a couple hours of thinking, measuring and a pot of coffee this morning but I finally got a game plan on how I want my widebody. (I thought)

Once I got it figured out it was time to get to work! I can now say anywhere you look in my shop there are notes about some part of my Blazer. lol

After cutting the fenders up I needed to brace them up and got to finally play with my new tube bender. (There are now notes starting in my new fab room on tube bender don't do's also) Glad I started learning on something hidden. They did turn out good though once I learned how to use the bender correctly. lol

Made the braces so they welded the whole length of the fender from the front core support mount to the rear upper and lower fender to a pillar bolts. I did put a bend in the middle incase I ever wreck so the fender will bend in the middle instead of turning into a pike headed my way.

So now my dilemma. Originally I wanted to keep the bodyline that goes around the body and that's why I cut it the way I did. But after lowering it down to my desired ride height the widebody in the front needs to be a lot higher. As it sits in this picture the highest part of the Blazer is 56 inches and the lowest is 5 inches of ground clearance. Thinking about raising it back up to 7 inches so I can continue on with my original plans of a widebody. I thought maybe I could make a bulge for tire clearance in the front but then my ocd would kick in and I would have to do it on the back also which I don't like. Also the front suspension has been moved 1 3/4 forward for a little more wheelbase. Anymore than that would look out of place to me.

You should definitely try to keep the body line if possible. It needs to be there or the side of thew truck is just so plain.
      When I was in high school a few guys shaved the body line and it just didn't look right.

I kinda have a pic in my head, but I think you'd need some donor fenders to do it.

I'll have to see if I can sketch it out so it makes sense.

While you have the fender off, can you take a couple pics of the firewall/lower A-pillar area? I'm starting to reconstruct mine
      and can't remember exactly where stuff went.

Thanks!

Jay

I can't take off the fender until I get it welded back up. Right now have a bunch of temporary braces everywhere holding my fender skins, but as soon as I can I will get a picture for you.
      After doing a bunch of reading this morning and looking at Dobbertin's website I raised the Blazer up to the "stock" Corvette ride height and it brought my Blazer up one inch and gave me plenty of clearance and can now keep the body line. I guess a little sleep sometimes helps. lol

Yeah, sometimes. lol

I appreciate it. IIRC there's a bracket on the bottom of the firewall, and I cut through it removing rust from the inside. Also, on
      the replacement floor pans, the flange goes up, instead of down so I kinda want an idea how much to come past it.

Jay

Jay I cut my floor out already but in a week or two can get you pictures of whats left of the A pillars. Might be better to go junk yarding and if all of them are rotted out in your area I can run down to one here and get some pictures.

Worked on my fenders most of the day. It is taking some time though because I want them to have the same curves and lines as the body with a modern touch.

It took a long time to get to this point because wanted it to line up perfectly. I did some reading this morning on Dobbertin's website to determine the best ride height for my suspension and ended up lifting my Blazer an inch. That one inch corrected all my clearance issues I was having last night because I think I was way over thinking it.

Starting to fit all together!!! I welded up some of the top to get a visual and also to start measuring and planning the rest of the fenders and doors. So far this is going a lot smoother than the last wide body I did on a Subaru years ago. I have learned a lot and loving doing fab work in my shop again. I did learn today that the back of the s10 fender sticks out a little more that the front, so ended up tapering it a half an inch in the rear.

Looking good.

Did you cut the sectioned piece down? Seems like if you didn't then the flares would be flat or the body lines won't match.
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

I will have about an inch drop. Trying to keep all the room I can for suspension travel. The body lines match perfectly in that picture but hard to tell.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com