Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

used T56 or Magnum

i started my LS chevelle project just over 10 years ago (one of a few start/stops). Early in the build i found a wrecked car i got the LS1 out of and then i bought a used T56 that was supposedly working for like 600 bucks after they pulled it and it was laying on a concrete slab covered with a tarp; it has since sat for 10 years now as i took breaks and gathered money/parts. I dont know the mileage of the trans or if it has any real problems (the guy 10 years ago said it was good) i guess until i get it running and test it out.
      Is it worth keeping the t56 and then possibly having to build/fix/upgrade after its going or would it be best to just sale what i got and probably make a few bucks and buy a new t56 magnum and never really have to worry about trans issues again? Future plans once the car is running, i will be stroking the LS1, adding turbos, swapping in bigger engine or some combo of making more power. IF i sold the trans and bought a magnum, i would be out of car funds for the time being.
      Just wanted to get some other car guy thoughts to help me make up my mind.

From our experience you're better off starting with a new Magnum. There's nothing wrong with the older transmissions, but it is getting harder to find some of the parts for them. We are starting to see some aftermarket reproduction parts, but there are still a few gaps in what is left over from the OEM and what's being reproduced. If it's a low mileage unit that maybe just needs a quick refresh it wouldn't be bad to hang onto, but you won't know until you take it apart or drive it to find out. If there's some major issues you can easily dump 1500-2000 or more into getting it back to new again which in the end you still have a basic T56. The new Magnums are a much stronger transmission and designed to be more versatile for various fitments, plus there's a ton of supporting products for it. If you're going to be doing all that engine work I would hold out and buy the Magnum instead.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@Bowler View Post
      From our experience you're better off starting with a new Magnum. There's nothing wrong with the older transmissions, but it is getting harder to find some of the parts for them. We are starting to see some aftermarket reproduction parts, but there are still a few gaps in what is left over from the OEM and what's being reproduced. If it's a low mileage unit that maybe just needs a quick refresh it wouldn't be bad to hang onto, but you won't know until you take it apart or drive it to find out. If there's some major issues you can easily dump 1500-2000 or more into getting it back to new again which in the end you still have a basic T56. The new Magnums are a much stronger transmission and designed to be more versatile for various fitments, plus there's a ton of supporting products for it. If you're going to be doing all that engine work I would hold out and buy the Magnum instead.
      I know the transmission itself the price is set from the manufacturer, but ive seen some folks do deals for the magnum and accessories together for decent price. Do yall happen to have any holiday sales coming up? I see the 10% off bowler products but was wondering what i could get if i was buying a magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by cypher View Post
      I know the transmission itself the price is set from the manufacturer, but ive seen some folks do deals for the magnum and accessories together for decent price. Do yall happen to have any holiday sales coming up? I see the 10% off bowler products but was wondering what i could get if i was buying a magnum.
      I sent you a PM, but yes we can definitely work with you on a full package. shoot me an email [email protected]
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

i don't have a horse in this race, but if you can swing buying an entire package for all the parts you need from Bowler, I would highly recommend it! It will save you a ton of time and headache to get all the parts from a vendor that has already done the R&D to make sure everything actually works together reliably.

I bought a kit from Bowler for my car and I've been very pleased with how it went together, and Bowler's customer service is phenomenal! The few hiccups I ran across during my install they went out of their way to help me get it sorted out.
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com