Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Help selecting harbor freight TIG welder

Looking for some experienced advice/comment. I want to buy a tig welder for better body work and stainless welding nothing to big shetmeyal SS exhaust etc.
      i have a century Mig welder with gas I have been using for body work and will keep it or could sell if I buy one of the combo units. I also have a huge old school tombstone stick welder for the big stuff. Looking at these three and of course I am inclined towards the cheapest one. Lol

Just got a 15% coupon for welders so I am motivated to make the plunge.
      Thanks in advance. Matt

https://m.harborfreight.com/240-volt...out-62486.html

https://m.harborfreight.com/protig-1...put-63618.html

https://m.harborfreight.com/unlimite...put-64806.html

Im sure the vulcan and titanium are decent welders. The chicago electric is more like a true Harbor freight brand. My old man gave me his cheap chicago electric flux core welder and after swapping to a good ground clamp and buying good flux core it was no worse than other small flux core welders. It does have more spatter because its in AC instead of DC but there is also mods to convert it. The other day i was practicing some beads and my good friend who welds a lot stopped over and ran a better bead than i did and said he was sold on the unit. No experience with the Tig but im sure you have similar results. With that being said though when i do upgrade to a better welder im just going to spend the extra for peace of mind.

Check out the ahp alphatig. I just purchased one after reviews online and recomendation from my little brother who has had his for 6 months now. Lots more adjustment and stuff with it over the harbor freight and it is cheaper. Mine was $750 to my door.

Ive got a few welding....well trying hours into it over the last weekend and ill tell you what i can sharpen tungsten like a pro!

My experience with Harbor Freight tools is that they are less than top notch. I normally only purchase very low tech tools from them.

I have an Eastwood TIG 200 that I am very happy with. It is rated pretty good and is mid-priced. It's not the best or the most expensive. It is a good bang for the buck and works well. It's less than $700. I also like that I can run it on 115V or 230V. I have been quite happy plugged into a 115V 20A circuit.

I did not feel comfortable with any of the Harbor Freight choices. I felt they were not as robust.

Even my MIG is not from Harbor Freight. It is a Craftsman made by Clark and has proven to be a workhorse.

This is the TIG I have:

https://www.eastwood.com/tig200acdc....EaAh5yEALw_wcB

I'll second the Eastwood TIG 200.
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Planit Oahu, Hawaii if you don't belive me check shipping prices
      I have found that cheep stuff has a tendency to give crappy results. yes some one that welds all day every day and put down a good weld, but lets face it most of us wont weld in a year as what pros do in a day. some tool review guy that my son fallows on YouTube says why cry twice instead of only once. meaning you buy a cheep tool and its all good then you cry when it brakes or quits, then you cry when you replace it with a higher price quality unit.
      I would but an Esab yes it 2-3 times the cost but with auto setting, and support and you will never have to replace it.

Ok
      Thank you all for talking me off the ledge.
      Now I just need to get my go fund me site going
      For ‘matt needs a tig welder ‘

Happy thanksgiving

Why not buy used miller or hobart?
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

A used Tig around here is anywhere from 1200-2000 bucks.
      That’s why the harbor freight units are so appealing

I have the Eastwood Tig200 as well. Solid machine, but I wish it had a few advanced features, like pulsing.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I second the alpha tig, I have had mine for two years and it’s a good machine.

Save your Money.... Don't spend $700 and then have to turn around and spend $1800.

Spend the $1800 first and get a good one....It's quality.....You can get Parts for it....It's a investment... It will hold its value down the road.

I have a Miller Diversion 180.......I also have a Millermatic 150 Mig.....That is 22yrs old and working Great.

I did the cheap out with a 2000watt generator once.... I'll spare you the long Horror story..... But it was $600..... Then in the end....I spent the $1050 for the Honda.....Night and day a Better machine....Powered lights better at start up. Ran a slower speed....Because it ran at slower speed it ran 1hr longer on the same fuel...... And..... It was QUIETER!

Oh....and the auto darkening welding helmet from Harbor Freight.....You want one? I'll give you one. It's Junk....Buy a Good Helmet.

Thanks warthog5
      I came in off the ledge and did not buy one. Looks like you are pretty close over in pcola? I can just drive over from Fairhope and pay you for tig welder services ����
      Thanks
      Matt

LOL.....I didn't say I was a good welder......But I own good welding machines.. LOL

I also have one of these that is Brand new just waiting for sheetmetal work.

I used one a Loooooooog time ago in a Body Shop I worked at.

Another vote for Miller or Lincoln. A machine you can get parts and consumables for years down the road is worth the initial expense.

My experience with Harbor Freight:

Name:  vise.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  345.6 KB

Some products of HF are decent and some are horrible.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com