Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 6.0 LS Build

Country Flag: Canada
      Update - Did a compression test today and I was very happy and surprised at how well it turned out! Highest was 179 lowest was 169/170, with most being in the 75ish range for such a high KM engine I cant complain.

With these numbers I am just going to replace the valve train, maybe the bearings in the bottom end and let the engine eat.

The cam I am looking to run Comp LS custom hydraulic roller, Xtreme Energy LSG Lobe 13119 int and 13121 exhaust. Intake measures 283' @ 0.002/234'@0.050 0.602" lift with stock rocker. Exhaust measures 291' @ 0.002/242'@0.050 0.605" lift with stock rocker. The cam was ground with 112' split and 4' advanced. How do you guys think that will be in the engine with a victor Jr intake/carb

Country Flag: United States
      Just my opinion...how did you come up with that cam? I would avoid shaving .030 off the heads AND running a thin head gasket. You will impact PTV clearance and possibly cause issues for the intake fitment . I don’t know the science behind cams and compression so I copy proven combos. If I were you...I would call Texas Speed and tell them what you are looking for. They will set you up with the right cam to match your desires. The engine being carb versus EFI is an important piece of info when choosing a cam.

There’s a handful of parts you should swap out too while you’re in there...lifters, trays, pushrods, cam retaining plate, timing chain...Texas Speed can advise.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Just my opinion...how did you come up with that cam? I would avoid shaving .030 off the heads AND running a thin head gasket. You will impact PTV clearance and possibly cause issues for the intake fitment . I don’t know the science behind cams and compression so I copy proven combos. If I were you...I would call Texas Speed and tell them what you are looking for. They will set you up with the right cam to match your desires. The engine being carb versus EFI is an important piece of info when choosing a cam.

There’s a handful of parts you should swap out too while you’re in there...lifters, trays, pushrods, cam retaining plate, timing chain...Texas Speed can advise.
      Buying cam off a fellow member. I will be swapping the pushrods, timing chain, springs, valve seals. Stock lifters should be changed? or will they work?

LS7 lifters aren't expensive. I'd buy new lifter trays also. That cam is going to be a bit lopey. Are you going manual or auto trans? If auto you should consider some level of stall converter. And maybe 3:73 gears? Be interesting to see how much vacuum you will get with that cam. May affect your brake booster.

Too much cam for an engine with 9.4:1 SCR in my opinion. Been crunching some numbers and that only nets a 7.2:1 DCR. You need to be high 7s low 8s or you are leaving way too much on the table. Can you provide more info on your ride and plans? Transmission, rear end gear, weight, tire size, which heads and gaskets, shaving or no?

If you decide to go L92 or LS3 heads check out the parts for sale section. There is a LS3 intake with fuel rails and injectors. $350 is a great price. The LS3 intake has 42lb injectors. I don't know the seller just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      LS7 lifters aren't expensive. I'd buy new lifter trays also. That cam is going to be a bit lopey. Are you going manual or auto trans? If auto you should consider some level of stall converter. And maybe 3:73 gears? Be interesting to see how much vacuum you will get with that cam. May affect your brake booster.
      In that case ill buy new lifters/trays. I will being going manual trans & 3:73

Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareZ View Post
      Too much cam for an engine with 9.4:1 SCR in my opinion. Been crunching some numbers and that only nets a 7.2:1 DCR. You need to be high 7s low 8s or you are leaving way too much on the table. Can you provide more info on your ride and plans? Transmission, rear end gear, weight, tire size, which heads and gaskets, shaving or no?
      Im not sure what those numbers mean you listed but the car has a T5 now will be switching to a T56, rear is 3:73, weight not sure stock, rims are 16 but will be eventually going 18.

Id like to keep the 317 heads was considering shaving heads/thinner gasket. Will consider other heads if it helps ! any advice on best bang for buck

Sell the 317 heads to the turbo guys unless you are headed that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      Sell the 317 heads to the turbo guys unless you are headed that direction.
      Im staying NA. Which heads would you use I have been hearing so many people say keep stock heads they fine, use L92 but they make power up high, use 5.3 heads bla bla bla no one seems to have an exact answer

That's the trouble there are way to many good choices. I had a 73 Z28 with a L92 out of a 2010 Silverado. Added a Texas Speed cam. 225I/230E .600 lift. 114 CL.It ran great thru out the power range. Down low plenty of torque. Ran great in the upper rpms. It had a TKO 600 with 3:73 gears. Did the Power Tour a few years ago and on the back roads at 60 mph it did 25 plus mpg.

I'm a fan of the L92/LS3 heads. With the right piston / head combo you can easily run 10.0-10.5 CR on 91 octane and a mild tune. We can only get 91 octane around here.

As far as milling the 317 heads. Talk to the guys on LS1 Tech forums. I'm sure they can help.

I've been down the "too big" cam road. Sounds cool at first but after a short time it gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by pro86tourn View Post
      Im not sure what those numbers mean you listed but the car has a T5 now will be switching to a T56, rear is 3:73, weight not sure stock, rims are 16 but will be eventually going 18.

Id like to keep the 317 heads was considering shaving heads/thinner gasket. Will consider other heads if it helps ! any advice on best bang for buck
      7.2:1 is your DCR with that cam
      DCR Dynamic compression ratio takes into account the intake valve closing angle as well as all the other variables for your static compression ratio.
      SCR Static Compression ratio- Is a ratio that assumes the intake valve is closed at BDC and takes bore, stroke, head volume, deck height and compressed gasket thickness
      Generally, we like to see around 8 to 8.5:1 when running pump gas on a street setup.
      Here's what I would do if I were in your situation
      https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...23as/overview/ along with all new bearings and ARP bolts. I'd run the 317s with a .04 cometic and see how you like it. Later on you could send those heads off to get worked or sell them and get something else. This would put you at 10.9:1 SCR and a DCR of 8.33:1 using the cam you spoke of earlier.

7.2:1 is your DCR with that cam
      DCR Dynamic compression ratio takes into account the intake valve closing angle as well as all the other variables for your static compression ratio.
      SCR Static Compression ratio- Is a ratio that assumes the intake valve is closed at BDC and takes bore, stroke, head volume, deck height and compressed gasket thickness
      Generally, we like to see around 8 to 8.5:1 when running pump gas on a street setup.
      Here's what I would do if I were in your situation
      https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...23as/overview/ along with all new bearings and ARP bolts. I'd run the 317s with a .04 cometic and see how you like it. Later on you could send those heads off to get worked or sell them and get something else. This would put you at 10.9:1 SCR and a DCR of 8.33:1 using the cam you spoke of earlier.
      I was hoping to leave the bottom end intact... I guess running a thinner gasket and shaving the heads wont get me where i need to be? Leaving the bottom end in tact which head choice would be best? I guess I would have to weigh the cost of pistons vrs/heads

Shaving 30 off the 317s should knock them down to around 66ccs. That should give you around 10:1 SCR. That still only gives you a DCR of 7.66:1 with said cam. You can make this work, you are just leaving a whole lot on the table with that cam though.

A 224/228 using Comp XER lobes with a 112 separation and 4* advance would get you to a DCR of 8:1 and would still rip up top. That's about as aggressive as Id go in this setup. You'd also have quite a bit of lope at 51* overlap, I forgot to ask about how you wanted it to idle.

Did my reply to you come through on DM? I'm not seeing it on my end...

A 224/228 using Comp XER lobes with a 112 separation and 4* advance would get you to a DCR of 8:1 and would still rip up top. That's about as aggressive as Id go in this setup. You'd also have quite a bit of lope at 51* overlap, I forgot to ask about how you wanted it to idle.
      Agreed. He's going to have fun getting the tune right with the cam he listed. It's going to be doggy on the low end, and pull no better on the top (maybe even worse, without adding a lot more compression and/or more cubic inches displacement), than the one you suggest listed above. Basically sacrificing street manners with no added benefits over choosing the matching cam for the rest of the setup.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

The cam I am looking to run Comp LS custom hydraulic roller, Xtreme Energy LSG Lobe 13119 int and 13121 exhaust. Intake measures 283' @ 0.002/234'@0.050 0.602" lift with stock rocker. Exhaust measures 291' @ 0.002/242'@0.050 0.605" lift with stock rocker. The cam was ground with 112' split and 4' advanced. How do you guys think that will be in the engine with a victor Jr intake/carb
      Too large for the current engine setup (displacement, heads, compression), even considering weight, gears, and transmission type. And you'd be better off with the Edelbrock RPM intake over the Victor Jr.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/20-l...ifolds-tested/

Quote Originally Posted by 68Formula View Post
      Too large for the current engine setup (displacement, heads, compression), even considering weight, gears, and transmission type. And you'd be better off with the Edelbrock RPM intake over the Victor Jr.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/20-l...ifolds-tested/
      Okay so I guess even if i shaved the heads .30 and ran a thinner gasket I still would be shy on the compression required. So question is I go to which cam? If i maintain the stock setup. I want a lumpy idle with good power.

2nd option is keep stock heads and swap pistons or swap the head to increase compression and keep the cam suggested above.

Okay so I guess even if i shaved the heads .30 and ran a thinner gasket I still would be shy on the compression required. So question is I go to which cam? If i maintain the stock setup. I want a lumpy idle with good power.

2nd option is keep stock heads and swap pistons or swap the head to increase compression and keep the cam suggested above.
      Either the one I suggested in one of my earlier posts or the custom one that KnightmareZ specified. They have virtually the same overlap, so idle will be same (aggressive, but won't require jacking up the idle speed just to keep it alive). The XER ramp rates are pretty aggressive, so you'll get more valvetrain noise from the quick valve closure, and shorter long term durability for valve seat wear and cam lobe wear compared to the Summit. The extra lift also means a stiffer valvespring (like PAC1218) , so also a little quicker wear on the cam, and higher cost (the Summit can use the GM LS6 factory springs). The XER will probably put a few more HP on the very top of the RPM range (like 5500-6500) with a little less torque below that. Won't make much difference unless you change over to CNC ported L92 heads or aftermarket.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com