Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 6.0 LS Build

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by KnightmareZ View Post
      Either or, don't forget oil pan, motor mounts, oil pump, drive shaft, front accessories, gauges, headers, exhaust etc
      AKA $3500 comes real quick
      I knew about oil pan, motor mounts, oil pump, I can have the drive shaft amended if needed, gauges I have from current setup, headers i will need.

Whats the best front accessories to use for the buck? Stock ones wont work? or corvette ones?

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by pro86tourn View Post
      I knew about oil pan, motor mounts, oil pump, I can have the drive shaft amended if needed, gauges I have from current setup, headers i will need.

Whats the best front accessories to use for the buck? Stock ones wont work? or corvette ones?
      For mounts, the best option is what is offered by Holley. You will also need the proper Holley pan. I already told you, the Holley "high mount" system uses the stock truck alternator that you can use with the truck spacing, or what I prefer, at the Corvette spacing. A stock Corvette set-up puts the alternator at the same place, but uses the more expensive Corvette alternator. I don't know how else to make ti any simpler for you...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      For mounts, the best option is what is offered by Holley. You will also need the proper Holley pan. I already told you, the Holley "high mount" system uses the stock truck alternator that you can use with the truck spacing, or what I prefer, at the Corvette spacing. A stock Corvette set-up puts the alternator at the same place, but uses the more expensive Corvette alternator. I don't know how else to make ti any simpler for you...

Andrew
      Thanks Andrew i appreciate all the advice! Sorry to be a pain but when you say spacing i assume that is the distance the front accessories are from the block?

Thanks Andrew i appreciate all the advice! Sorry to be a pain but when you say spacing i assume that is the distance the front accessories are from the block?
      Correct. Go to the Holley website and download their accessory selection guide. It contains a lot of very useful information about spacing, balancers, and various versions of water pumps.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Project update - Picked up the 2004 Denali today! negotiated down to $750 CAD. Truck runs great - Time to start building a parts list .... so excited to get this car on the road this spring after many years

Project update - Picked up the 2004 Denali today! negotiated down to $750 CAD. Truck runs great - Time to start building a parts list .... so excited to get this car on the road this spring after many years
      You should start a build thread.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

That's not a bad buy.
      If you wanted to rework the harness yourself, here's an excellent resource. http://www.lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm

Here's an option https://www.ebay.com/itm/28325931166...cYRhlKwBRbFfkM

Probably the best seller online you can trust...straight from Holley Performance.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Here's an option https://www.ebay.com/itm/28325931166...cYRhlKwBRbFfkM

Probably the best seller online you can trust...straight from Holley Performance.
      Very nice engine!

So heres where Im at:

-Stock bottom end, just clean it up and let er' eat OR Pull the bottom end apart send to machine shop, new bearings etc put back together stock but freshened up w/ ARP bolts
      -Freshen up stock heads with new springs OR Deck the stock heads new springs/valves OR L92 heads
      -Need to pick valve train I would like to go with a cam that offers a nice chop but I am horrible at selecting cams (this would depend on the head choice but any advice helps)
      -Intake vic Jr or something else (will be only street driven dont want to give away too much overall TQ)
      -Carb choice holly or would you guys recommend something different / CFM?

- - - Updated - - -

That's not a bad buy.
      If you wanted to rework the harness yourself, here's an excellent resource. http://www.lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm
      Thank you!!!!! if I end up going EFI i will certainly use this!!

Picture of the donor Denali and the Monte before she left for storage in 2013
      Attached Images Attached Images      

I wouldn't fool with the 317 heads. You are at 9.4:1 CR with the 71cc heads. I'd go with the L92 heads and knock 30 off. I'd probably run a 230/230 on a 112* with 2* advance ground in... XER lobes.

You might consider L92 heads. Fairly inexpensive. Will need better springs. Also if you have the time pull the pan and check the bearing clearances. Doesn't cost much to do that. New rear main seal. I wouldn't rework a stock harness. Buy a harness and computer from one of vendors on this site. I haven't done a Monte LS swap but I would guess most use an Fbody pan and front end accessories.

I wouldn't fool with the 317 heads. You are at 9.4:1 CR with the 71cc heads. I'd go with the L92 heads and knock 30 off. I'd probably run a 230/230 on a 112* with 2* advance ground in... XER lobes.
      Would it be possible to knock 30 off the stock heads or run a thinner gasket? Looks like the stock heads will make more TQ down low and the L92 better up top. I might sound stupid but I am not sure what 112* with 2* advance ground in would be, custom cam? (I am horrible with spec'n engine parts)

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      You might consider L92 heads. Fairly inexpensive. Will need better springs. Also if you have the time pull the pan and check the bearing clearances. Doesn't cost much to do that. New rear main seal. I wouldn't rework a stock harness. Buy a harness and computer from one of vendors on this site. I haven't done a Monte LS swap but I would guess most use an Fbody pan and front end accessories.
      I certainly have been considering the idea of the L92 heads.Not sure if its better to buy used or buy a new set and swap the springs. Anything else that would be required or they can drop right on?

I will have to pull the pan to replace for the swap an I can check out the bottom end then.

Extremely excited, I am just not a pro at spec'n the cam/head combo that would work best.

The L92 heads are a direct bolt on for the 6.0. Buddy of mine has a 6.0 in a 71 Nova. L92 heads. 225I/230E 114CL .600 lift cam. He did 410 RWHP on the dyno. By new. Never know what the used heads need. If you have the cash do a trunion rocker arm upgrade. Or go on Corvette Forums and look for used LS3 heads. LS3 heads have better light weight valves. The Corvette guys seem to much lower mileage stuff.

I really like spending other peoples money!

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      The L92 heads are a direct bolt on for the 6.0. Buddy of mine has a 6.0 in a 71 Nova. L92 heads. 225I/230E 114CL .600 lift cam. He did 410 RWHP on the dyno. By new. Never know what the used heads need. If you have the cash do a trunion rocker arm upgrade. Or go on Corvette Forums and look for used LS3 heads. LS3 heads have better light weight valves. The Corvette guys seem to much lower mileage stuff.

I really like spending other peoples money!
      hahaha! hey I welcome it, more help the better. Always good to learn from others mistakes/successes. 410 to the wheels wow! After researching it looks like the trunnion upgrade is a must. Guess we will have to search around and see if I can find a set of heads or just keep what I have for now while I continue the search!

For a cam would you guys stick with a COMP?

Would it be possible to knock 30 off the stock heads or run a thinner gasket? Looks like the stock heads will make more TQ down low and the L92 better up top. I might sound stupid but I am not sure what 112* with 2* advance ground in would be, custom cam? (I am horrible with spec'n engine parts)
      Personally I'd rather shave 30 off the heads. The issue with the LQ4 is the dished pistons and the 70cc chambers keeping your static CR low. The 112 is the LSA lobe separation angle and the 2* is the advance. This means all of your valve events will happen 2* sooner. Here's a great starting point if you want to learn about camshafts with lots of links inside.
      https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html
      I also noticed Texas Speed has their 228R camshaft on sale for $299.

Personally I'd rather shave 30 off the heads. The issue with the LQ4 is the dished pistons and the 70cc chambers keeping your static CR low. The 112 is the LSA lobe separation angle and the 2* is the advance. This means all of your valve events will happen 2* sooner. Here's a great starting point if you want to learn about camshafts with lots of links inside.
      https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...cam-guide.html
      I also noticed Texas Speed has their 228R camshaft on sale for $299.
      Great read, thank you!

After researching it looks like the trunnion upgrade is a must.
      Definitely. An aftermarket cam will have faster ramp rates, higher lift, and extend the rpm working range, so it's worth the extra insurance.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Which reminds me, if you change to L92 heads, you're also going to need offset rocker arms. So either make sure they come with or factor in the cost of buying some. And the L92 heads will require a different intake, throttle body and fuel rail (assuming you're keeping the FI).

If you have your LQ4 heads redone and ported by a reputable company like WCCH, they'll outflow the L92 heads but keep the bottom torque. Of course, they still wouldn't be as strong on the top as ported L92 heads, but really depends on what you want out the engine, and how much you plan to spend.

The thinner gasket will probably allow you to pick up a few tenths of compression. I believe the pistons are slightly out of the hole at TDC. Make sure to you accurate calipers, then measure each piston to deck distance for all 8 cylinders. Take the worst case (highest above deck), then add .038" to that value, and that's the minimum compressed gasket thickness you'd want with a stock bottom end LQ4. The nice part is, the thinner gasket will also improve your quench distance, which will make more power (on top of power from the small bump in compression) and reduce potential pre-ignition. Shaving the heads doesn't change the quench, just the chamber volume.

Moving to the camshaft, there's a good budget one from the new Summit Pro LS line called Truck Stage 3 (SUM-8713). It'll have a nice lope at idle, but should still be easy for the experience tuner to dial in. It'll pull up to 6500rpm, but have decent torque down low. Plus it works with factory GM 12499224 springs (LS6) which check in around $75. Ported factory cathedral heads typically peak at about .550" to .575" lift, so more than that really won't produce much more peak HP, and will hurt torque below that. So considering the area under the power curve, it's not worth the trade-off to go higher on the lift.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com