Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
      Country Flag: United States
      Remember, pioneers have to pave the way. Not too many Bump-side Touring Trucks - yet. The P/S issue will be solved by following a process. Slow and steady planning. The pump RPM needs to be in range. The #6 feed to the rack is good. The rack input and return fittings must be secure. Since there are no #8 or 1/2" return fittings for those racks, you can start with a #6 and transition to a #8. A good free flowing cooler (I have also used PH8A filters in the past on remote mounts - after the cooler - to calm the fluid) and a LARGE reservoir. Then a #10 or #12 feed to the pump. We are all asking a LOT from our P/S systems, and overkill here pays off. BTW, Corey Ivey had a spot on track where his P/S would fade (exit of the doughnut after a tight full 360) we felt it a few times, we think the reservoir ran out of fluid (OE reservoir). This will be solved and then it will be a non-issue from there on. I had fuel and P/S problems with the HellBoy as well. No big deal, just work the problem.

The truck felt great on track. I was really hoping to get a bunch of laps for shock and suspension tuning but that's life. There will be other days. Smooth steering and a calm linear throttle will make this F100 bad ass. Won't be long. Keep at it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobNoLimit View Post
      Remember, pioneers have to pave the way. Not too many Bump-side Touring Trucks - yet. The P/S issue will be solved by following a process. Slow and steady planning. The pump RPM needs to be in range. The #6 feed to the rack is good. The rack input and return fittings must be secure. Since there are no #8 or 1/2" return fittings for those racks, you can start with a #6 and transition to a #8. A good free flowing cooler (I have also used PH8A filters in the past on remote mounts - after the cooler - to calm the fluid) and a LARGE reservoir. Then a #10 or #12 feed to the pump. We are all asking a LOT from our P/S systems, and overkill here pays off. BTW, Corey Ivey had a spot on track where his P/S would fade (exit of the doughnut after a tight full 360) we felt it a few times, we think the reservoir ran out of fluid (OE reservoir). This will be solved and then it will be a non-issue from there on. I had fuel and P/S problems with the HellBoy as well. No big deal, just work the problem.

The truck felt great on track. I was really hoping to get a bunch of laps for shock and suspension tuning but that's life. There will be other days. Smooth steering and a calm linear throttle will make this F100 bad ass. Won't be long. Keep at it.
      You are the man Rob. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this stuff to me and helping me get the truck sorted out!
      I have a bad habit of overthinking these little problems.
      The pump internals look great which really surprised me.
      I took it apart out of curiosity. No metal particals and no real wear.
      I'm going to reuse the pump and do what you said with the lines.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Man I have to say this is a beautiful rig. I love the bump side fords. The chassis is art for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tsoptich83 View Post
      Man I have to say this is a beautiful rig. I love the bump side fords. The chassis is art for sure.
      Thanks!

Loving your truck. If I didn't have a bunch of other cars that need attention and I could just focus on it, I'd build my '74 just about like this. Very cool!
      Lucas Johnson

1972 Mach 1 552", my first car
      1974 F100 daily beater/race truck. 396" aluminum headed Ford FE
      1963 Riviera, 401" Nailhead, low and slow cruiser
      1970 Cadillac Coupe Deville, 472" road trip car

Great build, Frank. Just finished going through it since finding it late last night.To get the truck up and going in the short time frame is phenomenal. Good to see you working through your pain! I have some kind of arthritis in my lower back and hands and find that keeping moving really helps, plus I try to do 5-10 minutes on my inversion able every day. Kudos to NoLimit for speedy, quality work! Thanks for sharing and the link from CAM Nation!
      Ric

2002 s10, DD and AutoX.
      1966 Malibu owned since 1971. Drag car converting to track toy!

What brand of steering column are you using

Thanks for the compliments guys.
      I finally got the anodized red stage 2 intake manifold from Department of Boost! This intake is 2 pieces. The thermostat housing is seperate from the intake. Coolant Inlet and and outlet are 1.250 NPT!!!
      The entranceway out of the supercharger has a nice big radius so Im sure it flows better and makes more power. Estimating horsepower at 783 to the tires. It's a beast.
      I just got a even bigger heat exchanger water pump and a bigger throttlebody is on the way. There is no telling how much HP it's capable of. A humble guess is 800 to the tires.
      I went to Pigeon Forge this weekend to the F100 Reunion truck show. Curious about engine RPMs and different mph I got up to 90 mph and guess what happened..blue lights😑
      Yep 91 in a 55 zone. There were no entrances to the highway and a stretch of straight road and zero traffic.
      Hopefully, I can get the speed reduced.
      This brings up another thought. Remember I remote tune. Lito wants a 4th gear run to 6K rpms. There's no way I can do this on a public highway. Maybe I can find a dragstrip that will let me get a running start to record engine data.
      Were not done tuning.
      So, When i have the engine RPMs up high and suddenly let off the gas the supercharger doesn't slow down as fast as the engine. The belt slips and I think its causing the belt tensioner to jump and the belt to whip.
      It's destroying belts. Yesterday on the way home a belt took out my power steering pressure hose. I was about 100 miles from home. I had to drive it home like this. The ps pump didnt make any noise at all but it must have locked up and the power steering shaft broke 29 miles from home.
      Long story short, I still have some issues to sort out but man, I love my old truck😀

Things sweet!

I'm not shooting anyone down, but take a look at electric power steering.

I havent tested mine 100 yet but if you do some research you can adapt a Newer MR2 toyota pump with great results. At idle: so far: it has the same ease as my KRC did. EVERY time i went to the track i blew a KRC cap apart and boiled it over. I have a C5 Rack, a large 2 row cooler, and a 6.5" pulley on the pump and i was never satisfied. KRC said i needed to slow it down more for the track... but it wasnt very good at idle as is. So i added a larger res, new cap and blew that cap off too. Thats when i decided it was time to look elsewhere.

Just food for thought. They have a reluctor AC sensor built into them that lowers the draw when its not being used, and also lowers the draw on high speeds since you dont need a pump when youre going fast. like i said i dont have road testing yet but i will keep you updated
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Touring-Truck

DMP Fabrication LLC
      Follow me on Instagram for welding and truck progress! - Americangraffiti

Quote Originally Posted by the dan View Post
      Things sweet!

I'm not shooting anyone down, but take a look at electric power steering.

I havent tested mine 100 yet but if you do some research you can adapt a Newer MR2 toyota pump with great results. At idle: so far: it has the same ease as my KRC did. EVERY time i went to the track i blew a KRC cap apart and boiled it over. I have a C5 Rack, a large 2 row cooler, and a 6.5" pulley on the pump and i was never satisfied. KRC said i needed to slow it down more for the track... but it wasnt very good at idle as is. So i added a larger res, new cap and blew that cap off too. Thats when i decided it was time to look elsewhere.

Just food for thought. They have a reluctor AC sensor built into them that lowers the draw when its not being used, and also lowers the draw on high speeds since you dont need a pump when youre going fast. like i said i dont have road testing yet but i will keep you updated
      Yes, please keep me updated. I haven't posted in a little while. My power steering issues seem to be eliminated but I am interested in the electric PS.
      My current issues are the upper and lower control arm bushings. The shoulders have broken away from the polyurethane bushings allowing the control arms to move fwd and aft. I'm confident the power steering fluid from previous leaks has made the poly bushings brittle. Rob is sending me new bushings. I'm glad because I can't find this size control arm bushings anywhere. I do understand there probably No Limit issue only or atleast prioritize. Probably spelled that wrong but you know what I mean.
      Back to the steering rack, I found a 2003 Mustang Cobra steering rack from Cardone. It's taken over a month to get it. Supposed to be here today. Supposedly there were 400 spare units built. From my research they offer better steering feel. Now, I just have to figure out if its going to work. I used a 1/2 aluminum return line routed from the pump across the core support and back to a aluminum resivore. The aluminum resivore didn't have a vented cap. I drilled and tapped the cap to take a 1/8 npt to 1/8 hose barb fitting. It seems the aluminum tubing and vented cap worked! One other thing I did was vacuum bleed the power steering system with a power brake bleeder. It seems these Ford's are hard to get all the air out of the system.
      QA1 invited me to Road America to do the Ultimate Street Car Association event in August!!! I'm very excited about my 2nd OUSCA event. I hope this event is successful.
      Daytona was very intimidating and they say Road America is another very fast track. I guess Im jumping into this sorta quickly but the good thing is I have alot of respect for my truck. It is making a ton of power. Rob MacGregor quote, too much power or atleast it comes on like being shot from a cannon. I dont remember if I told anyone on here but I did get the Gen 2 Department of Boost supercharger intake. It flows much better.
      Oh yea, When we initially tryed to tune the engine, the twin 66mm throttlebody didn't work so we installed a GT500 throttlebody to get it running. I later found a used Kennebell Mammoth throttlebody (twin 75mm) and it lasted maybe 3 days before it went into a failsafe idle only mode. Literally had the truck packed up headed for Concord NC for the Hot Rod Power Tour. Damn!!!
      My only choice was go to Summit Racing and buy a $650 throttlebody (I destroyed the GT500 tb). I bought a Ford Racing twin 65mm tb, got it installed and on my way to NC to start the power tour. Now keep in mind the tuneup is all screwed up. It's a rich pig. But it's running and safe to drive.
      I got to NC and decided to run it down the dragstrip just to see what it would do. I got staged and when the last yellow light went out I nailed the gas and come off the clutch. Spun alittle in 1st gear and I heard a snap. You guessed it, the supercharger belt broke. I still drove it hard as I could. Ran a 14.01 at 98mph with no belt. Lol
      It should have been atleast a 11.00 even setup for the road course. The power steering pump bolts had backed out OR I didn't tighten them. Atleast I had a spare belt!
      Moral of the story it if you want to go fast, It's going to be expensive. I love it and wouldn't have it any other way.

The last picture was taken in Virginia. The QA1 crew and myself had stopped at a gas station for a drink and to fill up. Some locals wanted to see us drive away and being the showoff I am��, I stomped the gas and slideways we go. It was like someone reached over and turned the ignition off. I coasted to the side of the road into a shopping center parking lot. It wasn't 20 seconds and people are pulling in to help. First one on the scene was Jacob from Hot Rod magazine!!! He isn't afraid to work. The ECM has a led light showing the fuel pump has power but my fuel pressure gauge read zero pressure. Someone called Holley at the venue to see if they had a pump. Anyways, We pulled the pump out of the tank and luckily the pump had came unplugged. Back on the road thanks to great hot rodders everywhere!!!

Road America is a super fun track! You won't be disappointed if you make the trip. Its a great track for cars with power. Not as fun with little momentum cars.

I made it to Road America. It was a blast over all.
      I'm about to purchase QA1 .500" longer ball joints to inprove roll center and hopefully get the steering wheel to self center after a turn. 6 degrees positive caster isn't helping so far. Hopefully its the stock ball joints too tight.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com