Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I held back on commenting so I didn't look like your only groupie. Trust me, I'm watching very closely. Haha

One thing I've always hated about aftermarket pedals is how I can't rest my heels. So I vote yes on the heel plate. Any plans for a dead pedal too? Sooooo helpful for autocross.

Also, I'm beyond jealous of all your carbon. They make gorgeous parts. Unfortunately I have to live vicariously through you since nobody makes carbon parts for my truck. I'd love to see you make door panels so I can learn and try to replicate the process for myself.

'95 F-150 track ready street beast
      Want more projects/photos? Check my Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      I held back on commenting so I didn't look like your only groupie. Trust me, I'm watching very closely. Haha

One thing I've always hated about aftermarket pedals is how I can't rest my heels. So I vote yes on the heel plate. Any plans for a dead pedal too? Sooooo helpful for autocross.

Also, I'm beyond jealous of all your carbon. They make gorgeous parts. Unfortunately I have to live vicariously through you since nobody makes carbon parts for my truck. I'd love to see you make door panels so I can learn and try to replicate the process for myself.
      Yes I'll come up with some sort of a dead pedal.
      The Tilton pedals are great quality for the money and the pedal pads kinda match the Ford Racing control pack gas pedal.
      The factory pedals on my truck were way too long. I rebuilt the old pedal assembly with ball bearings and all but something just wasnt right as far as ergonomics. The pedals were too far apart for one.
      I lowered the seats (Corbeau forza) which made a better seating position better but it made the pedals even more awkward.
      Every vehicle I own has its steering wheel angled to the left, off centered. That bugs me. I'm going to try and get the steering wheel centered and hopefully the driving ergonomics the way they should be. I've searched for racing ergonomics information but I haven't found any real information.
      A heel plate looks easy enough to fabricate.
      And thanks for being my only groupie. Lol

Sbeck09, the 67-72 F100 door panels are flat so I only need a sheet of carbon fiber. Everywhere I've found sheets of CF the price is outrageous. I've found CF fabric fairly inexpensive. I've never worked with the stuff. Maybe I'll order some fabric and try my hand at it.

I'm not surprised that you can't find much about racing ergonomics. Its all dependent on type of racing and the driver. Every car I've ever build required the driver to be in their gear in the seat before we could setup anything. Obviously there are some rules pertaining to cages and safety equipment, but overall it's all about a good fit.

My door panels are flat too. I was going to just use sheet aluminum, but now you have me thinking about making carbon. I saw a video somewhere of a guy that makes flat carbon panels on a slab of granite with mold release put right on top. Seemed to work well since it's smooth as glass and perfectly flat.

I have the timing cover installed. Next the oil pan and its ready for the supercharger and intake. I should get it back from Department of Boost any day.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeck09 View Post
      I'm not surprised that you can't find much about racing ergonomics. Its all dependent on type of racing and the driver. Every car I've ever build required the driver to be in their gear in the seat before we could setup anything. Obviously there are some rules pertaining to cages and safety equipment, but overall it's all about a good fit.

My door panels are flat too. I was going to just use sheet aluminum, but now you have me thinking about making carbon. I saw a video somewhere of a guy that makes flat carbon panels on a slab of granite with mold release put right on top. Seemed to work well since it's smooth as glass and perfectly flat.
      Probably the way I searched it. I'll talk to Rob about it.
      Any advise is welcome!
      I did get my son to sit in the truck for his opinion of the seat to steering to pedal position. We agreed the drivers seat needs to be moved inboard a couple inches.
      The shifter was a reach but I had the power to run a autocross course in 2nd gear so I started and stayed in 2nd. Boost is awesome!!!
      I dont have alot of racing experience. This is my first year autocrossing. The only other racing if done is drag racing and a few sportbike trackdays.
      Setup is all new to me except the little I've learned this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank ZX View Post
      We agreed the drivers seat needs to be moved inboard a couple inches.
      The shifter was a reach but I had the power to run a autocross course in 2nd gear so I started and stayed in 2nd. Boost is awesome!!!
      I dont have alot of racing experience. This is my first year autocrossing. The only other racing if done is drag racing and a few sportbike trackdays.
      Setup is all new to me except the little I've learned this year.
      Glad you were able to test fit with him. I made the same observation on my truck. The driver seat seemed to be pushed way over by the door. Must be a Ford thing. I'm going to move everything about 2 inches closer to center. You seem to have the right idea. For me it will buy more space between the cage and my arm too. And good point about the shifter. I'll make a custom rod if I have to in order to get it closer. Some longer courses need shifting. I had my engine builder setup my motor to go up to 7k rpm to help give me that last 100ft to avoid some shifts as well.

Funny how something as simple as an autocross drives such a desire to change so much, isn't it? I remember after my first couple autocrosses I was beyond hooked! Whatever you do....don't go to a track day. Your wallet will cry in agony and it's even more addicting.

Yes, autocossing is expensive enough. I'll probably do a trackday or 2 eventually.
      I went to No Limit Engineering yesterday to drop off the quick change rearend. Rob builds some amazing chassis and parts. I didn't want to leave. Lol
      On my way home my brother in law told me Astro Performance shipped the TR6060 transmission to his business. Also Red Robert's shifter came along with the wheels from Schwartz Performance. Thanks Dale!
      I picked up a new sponsorship with Competition Clutch. I'll be running their twin disc ceramic clutch and flywheel!
      Life is awesome!

335/30ZR19 mounted on the XXR531 19x11 wheel

Congrats on the sponsorship! I need some of those.

Nice choice for the transmission. I am kinda kicking myself for not paying the $400 extra to jump from my TKO600 kit to a T56. I'm blaming it on weight savings. Haha.

I LOVE the wheel choice too! That's going to look so gorgeous. Get them mounted!

Cool build Frank! Glad to have helped it along

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

I was looking for a 5 speed, not 6 speed. It's what was offered and I'm thankful even if it is a little heavier

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz Performance View Post
      Cool build Frank! Glad to have helped it along

-Dale
      I was really wanting a Forgeline wheel but it's just not in my budget right now. I seen your ad and it is a good looking wheel for the money! Thanks again!!!

The engine is done except valve covers, sensors and a few small details.
      The supercharger and intake are on the way.
      Can you hear me making motor noises. Lol

The firewall is coming along. I used panel bond and tack welding the edges. I'll use steam sealer too. I really need a 110v welder for sheetmetal.
      This is the factory firewall brace. I'm going to try and widen it just so it looks somewhat the factory part. It's supposed to brace the firewall but in reality it's a joke of a brace.
      I cut my thumb pretty good last night on a head gasket of all things.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Bike Truck View Post
      i just found you on Insta. Can not wait for the frame to get here.
      Me too. Forgive me for not acknowledging your comment.
      Between this damn truck, the family and aurthuris I have a hard time keeping up. Lol

Cool build! Love seeing anything old muscle out autocrossing. If I can ask, why did you pick those tires?
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      Cool build! Love seeing anything old muscle out autocrossing. If I can ask, why did you pick those tires?
      Well, I was looking for the widest tires possible. I had the money during the Black Friday sales. I had my heart set on 335/30ZR18 Rivals. I stumbled across these Nittos very cheap and also the 19x11 wheels cheap.
      It's a starting point.
      I'm going to have too much power for my driving capacity. Lol
      The way I see it is this set of tires will not last long at all.
      This build is costing me everything. I'm willing to race any event and drive to them all. I'm hoping some wheel/tire choices jump out at me
      We will see.

Plan B. Firewall is rigid enough.

Originally, I built a 460 and a Toploader 4 speed for the truck. I used 4 bathroom scales on each corner putting the truck together the first time.
      I sat a bare 460 block bolted to the Toploader and right away I known it wasnt going to work.
      Long story short, I cut the firewall flange off way back then to move the engine back as far as possible.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com