Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by ULTM8Z View Post
      Is that why the temperature gauge in the newer cars stays put? Mine is constantly moving around between the fan on and fan off temps when I'm around town or in traffic....
      Yes. Fan speed is essentially continuously variable and adjusts to maintain the temperature setpoint.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Interested in going with one of these controllers also. Did someone a few posts back actually say they mounted it all the way in the trunk because it was too big??? Anyway I was wondering if you hook one of these up to your AC compressor does the fan run at full speed with AC on?? And do we have a consensus on which brand to go with yet or are we waiting for more reviews?

Don

My DCC controller is small, maybe 6x5x1 from memory. Mine is mounted on a bracket I made under the RF fender behind my battery

I can't imagine any controller being so large

My DCC has an AC lead which IIRC runs the fans at 50%, and temp would raise it from there. I have an older one and I'm not sure if they changed anything
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Quote Originally Posted by Volks View Post
      Interested in going with one of these controllers also. Did someone a few posts back actually say they mounted it all the way in the trunk because it was too big??? Anyway I was wondering if you hook one of these up to your AC compressor does the fan run at full speed with AC on?? And do we have a consensus on which brand to go with yet or are we waiting for more reviews?

Don
      I was the one who mounted my AutoCoolGuy controller in the trunk. I went with the dual fan NB100 which is 7.5" x 7.5" x 2.25". I'm trying to clean up my underhood area and it was too big to mount under the dash while still giving me access to the temp knob.
      I liked what I heard about the DCC controls but their customer service and long lead times left me a bit worried about them. I spoke directly with Daryl before I ordered it. I placed the order and had the controller within a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      My DCC has an AC lead which IIRC runs the fans at 50%, and temp would raise it from there. I have an older one and I'm not sure if they changed anything
      The AutoCool units have an adjustable speed setting when the AC is on so you can dial it in for your cooling needs. Of course, any increase in engine temp would raise the fan speed for more cooling if necessary.

Rodney
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

Quote Originally Posted by wawazat View Post
      I was the one who mounted my AutoCoolGuy controller in the trunk. I went with the dual fan NB100 which is 7.5" x 7.5" x 2.25". I'm trying to clean up my underhood area and it was too big to mount under the dash while still giving me access to the temp knob.
      I liked what I heard about the DCC controls but their customer service and long lead times left me a bit worried about them. I spoke directly with Daryl before I ordered it. I placed the order and had the controller within a few days.
      My DCC controller was shipped quickly, within a week if I remember right.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I'm using a DCC (car not running yet) but it was shipped quickly i had it in just over a week it looks well built. i have it mounted on the battery tray i'm running an odyssey battery which was smaller.

Good info from guys actually using these controllers. Thanks

Don

Quote Originally Posted by ULTM8Z View Post
      hah.. I dont need a pic to show me what a melted relay looks like....I literally caught a 40amp relay on fire when it tried to keep up with the high speed setting, back when I first installed the fan... lol

but I switched to some heavy duty 75amp Bosch relays and haven't had any issue since.

so really then it sounds like its just noise reduction for the most part.
      I too had a relay, 70A, on a MarkVIII fan. After about a year it welded closed due to current inrush at turn-on.

It would also almost kill the engine if at idle, and fan was very loud since it was only full speed.

The DCC pwm is about the size of a deck of cards and is quite good if installed as noted in the instructions. It's what I've had in the car for at least nine years with no problems. I never hear the fan anymore, it's like it's not even there.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

An old customer brought his car back for a radiator upgrade and we put a DCC fan controller in while I was in there. When I pulled the harness apart to remove the fan relays, I found that the contacts were badly discolored from heat (from fan inrush, no doubt).

I've installed the DCC kit on several cars now, and highly recommend them. Lead times were just a few days on mine.
      Last edited by parsonsj; 11-19-2018 at 05:35 AM.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Thanks for everyone’s input seems like DCC is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      I too had a relay, 70A, on a MarkVIII fan. After about a year it welded closed due to current inrush at turn-on.

It would also almost kill the engine if at idle, and fan was very loud since it was only full speed.

The DCC pwm is about the size of a deck of cards and is quite good if installed as noted in the instructions. It's what I've had in the car for at least nine years with no problems. I never hear the fan anymore, it's like it's not even there.
      Hmmm.... yeah I've had mine in since 2010. Never had an issue with it using the 75 amp relay...
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

Are you guys using that probe that sticks into the radiator fins or putting a screw-in sensor in the radiator??

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Volks View Post
      Are you guys using that probe that sticks into the radiator fins or putting a screw-in sensor in the radiator??
      I used the probe in the fins. Was not aware that DCC has an option to use a sensor.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      An old customer brought his car back for a radiator upgrade and we put a DCC fan controller in while I was in there. When I pulled the harness apart to remove the fan relays, I found that the contacts were badly discolored from heat (from fan inrush, no doubt).

I've installed the DCC kit on several cars now, and highly recommend them. Lead times were just a few days on mine.
      Add that to the list for my car!
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Another option for the temperature sensor is to epoxy it into a brass bung. For the Camaro an old temperature sensor brass body was re-purposed with a bit of machining to just have the brass. Instead of the plastic plug body, the brass was machined with a simple cup shape to allow the sensor, with the sleeve removed, to be potted into the brass. The sensor was placed so it was against the wall of the brass but not shorting. This allows for good thermal transfer. A 6" pigtail with a two-pin sealed connector was used as a service disconnect.

It's mounted in the radiator return tank in a 1/2" - NPT bung. It was tested before driving to verify function, and has worked well.

As for the prior relay setup, not only was the relay junk, the terminals in the MarkVIII fan plug were also very nasty and required replacement. The wiring inside of the fan motor was not great, but okay for use.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I implement pwm fan control through my Dominator ECU using a C6 controller, so it's not exactly on point with this discussion. However, I anyone reads this in the future, no matter the method chosen, PWM control of the fans is way better than a simple relay, for many reasons. I'll never have binary fan control ever again. In my Cougar, the fan barely goes about 50% speed, even in the heat of summer. I never, ever hear it.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Started my car for the first time today and the DCC fan controller is working like a champ. Worth every penny.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      Started my car for the first time today and the DCC fan controller is working like a champ. Worth every penny.

Don
      Which part number did you use?

FK95 controlling dual Spal fans.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com