Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Experienced Opinions on CPP 2nd Gen Spindles??

I've been searching this site fairly extensively, and can't seem to find anything regarding recent experienced reviews of the CPP 2nd Gen Spindle (CP30014).

The reviews on Summit seem to be favorable. The threads I have read here are all pretty old, and some seem to get pretty heated, so hopefully I'm not ostracizing myself by asking this question.

I'm doing a '79 Trans-Am and was planning on using PTFB control Arms and steering system, but want a spindle that was cleaner and C5 based, to use on a modified stock subframe, so this spindle system is appealing.

If you have any experience with this spindle setup and would care to comment, I'd appreciate hearing your opinions.

Thanks,

I know some folks using them without issue. Buy them with no hubs and get quality hubs elsewhere.

The only real advantage is the sealed bearings. although I know some folks think better of stock style bearings.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

I’m a “heresay” guy on this subject. If you search Facebook, there’s some people running them and I haven’t heard any real issues myself.

The negative theory about this setup has to do with wheel offset. Late model Vettes and F-Body have deep backspacing (less prying load on the bearing assembly). With that being said, Corvette and late F-Body do have issues with this style bearing failure. I’ve heard some people even lose their wheel completely due to the whole hub breaking apart in racing conditions.

To keep in mind, your stock 2nd gen has two (inner and outer) bearings on your stock spindle. Wheel offset on those cars are typically 0. This means that there is more “wheel” outside of the mounting surface. By having 0 or negative wheel offset in turns and lateral weight transfer, it creates more of a prying load on the spindle than a late model Vette/F-Body would see. The stock style 2nd gen does well at staying together due to having the inner and outer bearings.

Go for whatever you feel happy with. CPP is cool for using stock style Vette parts but the cost will add up if you’re building out a spindle and not going with their complete kit. PTFB AX kit which uses your stock spindle is pricey up front but awesome! That PTFB Kit is going to be lighter due to the aluminum hub and bolt-on outer rotor.

Another option to consider is the 1LE conversion which uses 3rd gen 12” rotors and standard GM calipers (like your ‘79).

Not hearsay, I actually had a set.

They are fine for drivers, and autoxers and even some light track duty. The hubs are essentially bullet proof but there is some spindle flex and there is a small variation in the location of the steering arm between the right and left sides.

There is approximately a 1" difference in the backspacing between the Corvette, 7" on a 9.5, and my car which was 6" on a 9.5. We made enough autocross runs to cord 3 sets of tires with flipping and rotation and the hubs felt as good at the end as the day I put them on.

The money really does end up being a toss up unless you buy a package from CPP......I do not recommend that. I prefer the sealed hubs from a maintenance perspective.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

I was under the impression the cpp spindles did not impact offset. Is that not true?
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Why can't I edit that to clarify?

Yeah, that was sort of an incomplete thought. I was comparing the offset on a stock corvette to the offset on my 2nd gen with the same width wheels. I have no idea if the CPP spindles move the wheel mount surface from stock.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Thanks, Guys. I now have these spindles and ordered some quality SKF C7 Spindles. Will work from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
      I've been searching this site fairly extensively, and can't seem to find anything regarding recent experienced reviews of the CPP 2nd Gen Spindle (CP30014).

The reviews on Summit seem to be favorable. The threads I have read here are all pretty old, and some seem to get pretty heated, so hopefully I'm not ostracizing myself by asking this question.

I'm doing a '79 Trans-Am and was planning on using PTFB control Arms and steering system, but want a spindle that was cleaner and C5 based, to use on a modified stock subframe, so this spindle system is appealing.

If you have any experience with this spindle setup and would care to comment, I'd appreciate hearing your opinions.

Thanks,
      There does seem to be a "made in China" stigma on them, but they have been around for a few years now and seems everyone who has them has no complaints. I would run them if I had a car to do so. I prefer to use the KORE Kit.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

We ran them on Mary's 73 Camaro for a short time. Used the same set of wheels we had before and didn't notice any offset issues but it was a few years ago and maybe I'm not remembering it fully. You won't have steering stops but that's the only issue I noticed.

We also tried the GMR hubs with it and those kept loosening up lash and we stopped running them & sent them back. We didn't know anything about The GMR hubs before testing them. When I saw what they did I was skeptical. It was a basically a Corvette bearing unit with tapered roller bearings inside it. The bearings appeared to be the ceramic type but I didn't take it apart to see. Their machine work is outstanding but I fail to see how you can replace the narrowly spaced ball bearings with small tapered roller bearings and not have play in the system. Tapered rollers usually require lash of .001" where the ball bearings are large diameter and preloaded. The narrow GMR spacing with small bearing sizes increases deflection.

I have lots of experience with Corvette unit bearing hubs, they are way way better than stock non-sealed hubs. We run manual brakes and had knock back problems until we switched to the Corvette hubs. The ZR1 hubs are the best, utilizing larger outer bearings than before. C7 bearings are supposed to be the same. There is no way to compare a C7 hub to a fourth gen Camaro hub, they are very reliable and the biggest thing is they are stiff with some pre-load on the ball bearings. Stock type tapered roller bearings need .001" lash, so you start out with some play, then the stock spindle pin adds more flex.
      Last edited by David Pozzi; 12-18-2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added more info on The GMR hubs 12-18-18
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I returned the CPP Spindle assemblies and decided to just put the money into the AFX Spindle setup. Should be a solid foundation to start my build around.

The thread is a bit old, but here's some clarification on the CPP C5 style steering knuckles.

2nd Gen CPP Spindles:
      - maintain stock geometry for better interchangeability with other aftermarket parts
      - maintains wheel mount surface location
      - no steering stops
      - designed in-house by CPP
      - cast overseas
      - made of ductile iron* (much stronger than any aluminum of a similar shape)

*Many years ago, people would accuse the CPP steering knuckles of being weak and dangerous while simultaneously endorsing aluminum steering knuckles for the same application . . . the iron casting would have to be ridiculously terrible to lose the inherent advantage in material strength

The Pozzis received possibly the worst combination ever produced. The GMR hub was a traditional spindle that would bolt onto a steering knuckle meant for a sealed hub. Without the spindle being embedded in the casting of the steering knuckle, it was like getting the worst of both worlds for hub flex.
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

Quote Originally Posted by 79-TA View Post
      The thread is a bit old, but here's some clarification on the CPP C5 style steering knuckles.

2nd Gen CPP Spindles:
      - maintain stock geometry for better interchangeability with other aftermarket parts
      - maintains wheel mount surface location
      - no steering stops
      - designed in-house by CPP
      - cast overseas
      - made of ductile iron* (much stronger than any aluminum of a similar shape)

*Many years ago, people would accuse the CPP steering knuckles of being weak and dangerous while simultaneously endorsing aluminum steering knuckles for the same application . . . the iron casting would have to be ridiculously terrible to lose the inherent advantage in material strength

The Pozzis received possibly the worst combination ever produced. The GMR hub was a traditional spindle that would bolt onto a steering knuckle meant for a sealed hub. Without the spindle being embedded in the casting of the steering knuckle, it was like getting the worst of both worlds for hub flex.
      Yes, the big issue was the narrow spacing between the tapered roller bearings, but tapered roller bearings have more play than ball bearings. Those units were being touted as being better than C6 Zo6 bearings, I don't think so!
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

aren't the SKF hubs tapered bearings? Hoosier performance used to have hubs made by Casper and they used tapered bearings as well, I remember john explaining how difficult it was to design the hubs properly.
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

What solutions exist for using sealed C6 hubs on a 2nd gen besides the AFX? I like these spindles, but I don't want to run their entire front suspension for $4K to get them!
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

pretty sure the C6 hub mounts to the cpp spindle

Sure - but I am far from sold on the CPP spindle based on what I see in this thread - was wondering if there were other options.

the regular bearing hubs like KORE3 seem like a better way to to than the CPP spindle in my view. I mean sure AFX is no doubt a good solution but I don't see $4K worth of value for that front suspension personally. If it were half that I'd be all over it. 75% of that I would think long and hard about it.
      I already have DSE UCA and sway bar for one thing - so duplication of parts in my case. And not sure I need front coil overs either. Maybe eventually if I move to rear 4 link with coil overs I'd do it to match the shocks. But my current set-up with stock type springs works pretty dang well.
      1971 Camaro - 406 / T56
      2016 Camaro SS convertible
      2018 Colorado 4x4

I agree on retaining your stock serviceable bearing spindles.

Can I re-open this discussion and call on anyone who has been using the CPP spindle with a C7 bearing? OEM SKF C7 bearings are currently $89 each on rockauto. I have more faith in this forum than to hear that a tapered bearing setup on a 60 year old spindle is a better design than a SKF C7 sealed hub bearing.

Its almost like NO ONE on this forum will endorse what "seems like" the best spindle out there and I am dying to know why! I am on the verge of buying KORE3 aluminum hubs to use my ancient setup with tall ball joints and all that all backdoor stuff because people on here talk like the CPP unit is dangerous. Is it?

Honest opinion: Is this a forum to come for discussion and answers or is it more brand loyalty related? Its as if people are scared to even discuss the CPP spindle? Did something happen?
      1966 Pontiac Le Mans - owned 19 years
      UMI rear suspension - front is pending...
      455/TKO600/12bolt

Here’s my take. Those CPP spindles are very heavy, adding to unsprung weight. Unsprung weight means harsh ride.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

That is a solid point. I wonder what the weight difference is between the CPP unit / C7 hub VS. factory spindle / cast drum hub combo.
      1966 Pontiac Le Mans - owned 19 years
      UMI rear suspension - front is pending...
      455/TKO600/12bolt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com