Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Transmission temp sensor location- need help

I'm working on a fresh rebuilt 700 r4 in a 32 3 window coupe for a friend. Problems started when he decided to not cool the fluid through the radiator but instead use one of the long tubular round finned street rod type coolers. The transmission overheated on the highway and he burned it up. We had it rebuilt and put it back in and installed a temp gauge this time to keep an eye on things. We put the sensor in a port on the driver side of the transmission about half way up from the bottom of the transmission instead of putting it in the pan. This time around he is using a different cooler with a 9" fan. My question is does the temp sensor need to be mounted in the pan to get a more accurate reading to cut the fan on for the cooler. I know it is ideal to mount it in the pan but he put a bright new shiny aluminum pan on the transmission and he doesn't want to drill a hole in it lol. Does anyone know if the side port that the sensor is in right now will give enough of an accurate reading or does it need to be in the pan?

You should have the sensor in the pan or in the line going to the cooler. The hottest fluid will come out and go to the cooler. But the pan has the fluid that will get sucked into the front pump, so that is the temperature that I would want to see.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by chevyshawn View Post
      I'm working on a fresh rebuilt 700 r4 in a 32 3 window coupe for a friend. Problems started when he decided to not cool the fluid through the radiator but instead use one of the long tubular round finned street rod type coolers. The transmission overheated on the highway and he burned it up. We had it rebuilt and put it back in and installed a temp gauge this time to keep an eye on things. We put the sensor in a port on the driver side of the transmission about half way up from the bottom of the transmission instead of putting it in the pan. This time around he is using a different cooler with a 9" fan. My question is does the temp sensor need to be mounted in the pan to get a more accurate reading to cut the fan on for the cooler. I know it is ideal to mount it in the pan but he put a bright new shiny aluminum pan on the transmission and he doesn't want to drill a hole in it lol. Does anyone know if the side port that the sensor is in right now will give enough of an accurate reading or does it need to be in the pan?
      Where you currently have it is the best place to put it. That will record the highest temps you'll see, as long as you're staying under 200 you should be fine. 170-180 is ideal.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com