Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

19" tire choice for 2nd gen Camaro/Firebird

Need to buy wheels and tires for my "70 Formula (DSE subframe, mini tubs, Quadralink). Was planning to go with what seems to be the standard tire size for the rears, 335 30 18, but was surprised about the lack of choices in this size, and concerned about the prospect of this size disappearing altogether. I've seen folks use 325 19, an am wondering if this will require additional work? I'm also considering 305 19, which seems to be a popular size and would give me more room for error, but I haven't found any pics of a second generation f body with this size tire, so don't know how this would look. Anyone?

Alponcho. I think I responded to another post of yours, so you may have already seen these pictures. Anyhow, for my 70 Camaro, I did the 325/30R19 in the rear on a 19x12 Boze custom wheel. DSE mini tubs, Quadralink, Rick's tank, etc. Spacing looked good. I did trim the fender lip back about 1/2" to create additional clearance when the car is sitting level and also under suspension compression. Just didn't want to end up cutting up the tires if there wasn't enough room.

I agree with you that there is a very limited selection of 335/30R19 tires available. 325's seem to fit good in my case with very little trouble. You should be good with that setup. 335's and 345's would be very tight and may require more heavy modification. I hope this helps.
      Attached Images Attached Images        

Quote Originally Posted by jcadwell View Post
      Alponcho. I think I responded to another post of yours, so you may have already seen these pictures. Anyhow, for my 70 Camaro, I did the 325/30R19 in the rear on a 19x12 Boze custom wheel. DSE mini tubs, Quadralink, Rick's tank, etc. Spacing looked good. I did trim the fender lip back about 1/2" to create additional clearance when the car is sitting level and also under suspension compression. Just didn't want to end up cutting up the tires if there wasn't enough room.

I agree with you that there is a very limited selection of 335/30R19 tires available. 325's seem to fit good in my case with very little trouble. You should be good with that setup. 335's and 345's would be very tight and may require more heavy modification. I hope this helps.
      Your set-up looks great. Very helpful, thanks for posting the pics again. From what I gather, the selection of 305 19 is even better and should require less work given that it's .5" narrower. I wonder how that size would look and whether I'd be giving up any performance potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
      Your set-up looks great. Very helpful, thanks for posting the pics again. From what I gather, the selection of 305 19 is even better and should require less work given that it's .5" narrower. I wonder how that size would look and whether I'd be giving up any performance potential.
      Alponcho - I'm using the 325/30R19 with the 19x12 rear wheel sizing with backspacing spec'd out by DSE. If you go with a 305 19, the 12" wide wheel would likely be too wide and you'd need to narrow down your wheel choice for that smaller tire width. You may want to speak with DSE and or whoever your wheel manufacturer is just so you don't end up going with a combination that doesn't work well given a tire size that is too narrow. You would certainly lose a little bit of lateral traction by choosing a narrower tire. I tried to stick within the specs of what has already been pre-engineered and designed. I'm sure you're a smart guy, so whatever you choose should coordinate well with your project. Just make sure to do your calculations and measurements first. My grandfather told me to always measure twice and cut once. In this case, the second cut will possibly cost you with the stroke of another check for a second set of wheels and/or tires. I hope this is helpful.

There is excellent tire selection in either a 305 or 325, especially the latter sizing. Quite a few C5 Corvette guys are running 305's on a 12" wheel and liking it. Here's a photo, for reference. If you have room for a 325, that's probably the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jcadwell View Post

Looks great what size tire do you have on the front?

Country Flag: New Zealand
      quick count on tirerack 20, 325 /30 /19 tires available zero in 18, and only 8-9 of 315 and 335 in 18 /30

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com