Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

5th gen brakes on 1st Gen Camaro

New to the site and looking for a little help.
      I have a 2011 Camaro that I am using as a donor car for my 1968 Camaro project.
      I’d really like to use the breaks off the 2011 but most of the forums I’ve read indicate only the ZL1 brakes will work unless you can somehow fit 20” wheels which I’m not really trying to do.
      Does anyone know of a relatively easy way to make the breaks fit?
      Also going to be pulling any other parts I can feasibly use so if anyone has done this and has any other suggestions feel free to share.
      Name:  IMG_1918.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  115.6 KBName:  IMG_1923.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  126.4 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Firstly, Welcome, you're in for a real treat of knowledge,
      and secondly, most of the forums you've read are wrong, several of us are running those brakes, I used brackets from lsxconcepts.com, not sure if he's still making them so people are going through Tobin @ Kore3.
      If you really want to learn the fun extent of what can be used from your donor car then search 'Cryptonomad' for a very in depth and detailed thread of moulding the 2 cars together.
      On a lesser scale, and if you're looking at incorporating more aftermarket 1st gen pro-touring parts mixed with the best of the 5th gen, then have a read of my build thread.

Get comfy, good luck
      James

Country Flag: United States
      Here's another option for you: Flynbye Performance. --> http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/c5_p1.html

I don't have any personal experience with them, but they definitely have brackets to use front and rear 5th Gen Brembos.

A snafu you need to be ready for is the center bore of the 5th gen rotors. It is much smaller than our hubs, so you'll need to have it machined out. There are a few other options for rotors, but IMHO boring out the 5th gen rotor is the safest and cleanest way to make it work.

There are plenty of 18" wheels that will fit over the 5th Gen Brembos - but definitely not ALL 18's will work. To clear the caliper overhang you'll need to use spacers with most cast wheels. Most custom billet/forged wheels can easily be set up to add the pad height you'll need.

Be sure to start a build thread so we can keep up with your progress!

Thanks for the input. I’ll definitely check out some of the recommended info. Thanks
      James

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com