Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

LS to T56 Bellhousing question

I have an LS3 with 550 HP, a T56 transmission, and 9" rear. I have been running a stock aluminum bellhousing but since the engine is out of the car right now I'm considering putting it back together with a stronger bellhousing. Question: is the only real option a Quicktime at roughly $650?
      I do not race this car, just street performance driving. I appreciate your comments on this.

Why waste $650? If your not racing you shouldn't need a steel housing. GM puts aluminum ones in the ZL1's and they have liability for failures..... But if your into clutch dumping and endless burnouts, hey, why not, you can't be tooooo safe.

When was the last time you saw any LS engine loose a stock flywheel?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I would stick with stock
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

I appreciate all the relies very much. I have a McLeod flywheel and RST clutch and not concerned about either of them. I have only been concerned about the stock bellhousing cracking/breaking under torque or possible shock load. They just seem so thin. Maybe I'm just over thinking all this and the stock Borg Warner housing will be fine.

I can tell you that the bell housing needs indexing is known to cause leaks when not in perfect alignment and in my case it took a far amount of grinding to get the starter to fit
      From a place you will not see comes a sound you will not hear....

67 Camaro In progress

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Tap-67-camaro

I wasted $650 for a QuickTime. No modifications needed and not a single regret. Would spend the money again...
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

No way knocking Quicktime housing or the need for one. He's driving a street car. Plenty of things to spend $650 on.

What does “street car” mean these days...if you do any spirited driving on a high horsepower car, the safety feature is worth the money. Especially when a stock bell is $350-$400
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Country Flag: Canada
      I have seen the results of a clutch and flywheel explosion in an early '70s Nova. Now, to be honest, the guy was an idiot and it was during one of those "watch this" moments that it happened, but there was enough damage that I have used a steel scattershield in my car since then.
      I am sure the vast majority of us can beat the crap out of our cars and never have the clutch and flywheel let loose. I just enjoy the extra security when I'm not acting like the old guy that I am.

Ken
      If there is a hard way to do something, I'll find it!
      My other car is a Vega.

OP, do a google search “blown bellhousing” and then go to images. Then make your decision.

You could also sell the original bellhousing for a few bucks to help offset the cost.

I went with a QuickTime, but I didn’t have a bellhousing at all so it was easier for me to decide. Another thing to consider other than safety or tech inspections would also be protection of nearby parts. If there was a major failure with the flywheel or clutch and it did blow the bellhousing, it could potentially take out the engine block or the trans itself. Also headers, starter, wiring etc could all take damage so the cost of repair could really add up. SFI bellhousing is cheap insurance in my opinion.

. It cheaper for a new bellhousing than going to the ER room visit.

at 550, I cant imagine you will ever have a problem. I have a quicktime, make a little north of 800 at the flywheel. not sure my car will ever hook hard enough on the street to have to worry about it anyway.

I don’t expect my car to ever roll over either, but I do have a bar in my car...just saying. You may never need it, but if for some chance you do..you’re covered.
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

I have owned my Camaro since 73 and I still have dents in the tunnel and firewall where I had a clutch come apart in the late 70s. I have run steel bell housings ever since. The cost of the Quicktime is insignificant compared to personal injury. I still remember seeing Don Garlits dragster literally cut in half when the clutch exploded taking part of his foot in the process.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I put a quicktime on my T56/LS swap Camaro and I would do the same thing over again, the extra peace of mind is worth the extra cost. If you get it don't forget to buy the alignment plate for it so you have index and align it with the motor, it makes it a lot easier.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com