Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Holley EFI Analog Speedometer Not Working

Hi Guys,
      I need a little help. I have the Holley EFI Analog Gauge cluster and I cannot get the speedometer gauge to work. I have exhausted all of my ideas and need some new ones. Here is my setup.

Holley HP EFI ECU
      Holley Digital Dash
      Holley EFI Analog Gauges
      T56 Magnum Transmission

I am using the VSS signal from the T56 magnum and sending it to a Dakota Digital SGI-5 converter box. Then from the SGI-5 to the HP EFI ECU. When I have the laptop hooked to the ECU I can pull up a gauge cluster on the laptop and I am getting a good reading for MPH. I can also get the digital dash to read a proper speedometer MPH. So i know the signal from the t56 is making it into the ECU correctly. The analog gauges use a Holley Gauge Module 554-130 to send the signal from the ECU to the analog gauges. You only need one per car and this allows all of the analog gauges to be daisy chained together. All of the other analog gauges are reading properly it is only the speedometer that is not working at all. Oil pressure, fuel pressure, tachometer, and coolant temp are all working. The speedometer is daisy chained in the middle of the run so there are working gauges before and after the speedometer. I have already tried replacing the speedometer with another one thinking I just had a bad one. That did not work. Here are some pictures of my setup.
      What do you think?
      Name:  20180616_173258.jpg
Views: 2213
Size:  272.3 KBName:  20180614_154240.jpg
Views: 1787
Size:  375.6 KBName:  20180614_154229.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  315.8 KBName:  20180616_173500.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  157.7 KB

Name:  screen print.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  21.9 KB
      Name:  screen print 1.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  20.6 KB

I've seen your posts on the Holley forum. If I was you, I would look at installing a Hall effect VSS in the Magnum. Doesn't the Magnum have previsions for a speedometer cable? If so, then Autimeter and VDO make a Hall effect VSS that will plug in. If there is not a speedometer cable mount, look at the Viper VSS, as it is a Hall effect sensor.

Andrew

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by r67nova View Post
      Name:  screen print.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  21.9 KB
      Name:  screen print 1.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  20.6 KB
      Can you make those bigger? Can't really read the text.
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

How difficult would it be to reroute the wire from the ECM to gauges temporarily and set the gauges in the passenger seat for a test? That is, move the gauges and the wire to the ECM away from any noise sources behind the dash? Maybe the speedo isn't shielded as well as the other gauges, or has different filtering that's not working as well.

Just a shot in the dark.
      Dude are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

Paul,

These are CAN gauges, so I'm not sure that what you're suggesting will work. Since he is seeing the speed input on the laptop, I suspect that this is a configuration.

For instance, on my 7" Holley dash, I had to manually go into the setting and tell the speedometer gauge which input channel to display. I don't know if this is possible with the gauges. I suspect the gauge is looking for a particular speed input on a specific pin. It can also be a matter of naming the input properly, which is why I wanted him to repost his configuration screen bigger, so I could read them.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Yes I did post on the Holley forum as well.

AU DOC I think you may be on to something. It could be the speed signal is more sensitive to interference and may be running across some noisy wires. I have another new speedo gauge coming to swap out as well as a new gauge module (can't hurt to try). I can probably wire up just the speedo in the floor board and see if I can get it working, this should eliminate any interference from other areas. If it works on the floor I can then move it to the gauge cluster and see if it is still working, if not I will know I am getting interference.

I would prefer not to have to change out the VSS sensor if at all possible.

Lets see if these images are any larger.

I am open to any other ideas out there...

Name:  Speedo.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  133.1 KB
      Name:  Speedo 1.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  106.7 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I see that you have the 7" Holley dash as well. Have you seen if it will display speed? You mill most likely have to go into the dash and configure the speedometer to display the "VSS" input that you created on pin J1-A12. I would also be interested to see what happens to the analog gauge if you unhook the 7" dash from the CAN bus.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Yes, the speed does display on the digital dash as well as the laptop. Both of those are working correctly. I have not tried unhooking the digital dash yet to see how it impacts the analog gauges, that is worth a try.

I appreciate everyone's input.

I have never seen those before, very nice. They look like they are made by SpeedHut
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      I have never seen those before, very nice. They look like they are made by SpeedHut
      Absolutely speedhuts.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Ok, have it figured out. I am not crazy well at least on this issue.

The holley EFI analog speedometer gauges (553-122) will NOT work with the HP EFI ECU.

WARNING do not buy the VSS speedometer if you are running the HP EFI it will not work.

If you are running the HP EFI you have to use the GPS Speedometer. Very few people actually know this including the tech dept at Holley. This is a very new product so the knowledge base is still learning. There is some very knowledgeable tech support over at Holley, once I got the right person on the line he explained clearly the issue.

Could you relay what the tech said so the rest of the class understands?
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

This seems odd. If you are daisy chaining all of the gauges and are connected to the HP via the CAN connection, and if you have a working speed input into the HP, then why wouldn't it work?

Andrew

1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com