Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

charging problem

I have been fighting what I believe ia charging problem. I have an optima battery that is probably 4years old. It will only charge to 12.4V. I have a hundred amp alternator that was changed from a single wire to a dual wire. I have had it checked 2 times at different times. It is charging at 14.5V and over a hundred amps. The top terminals are 1.0 and go directly to the starter and motor block. I have Holly HP EFI wires directly to battery at side terminals and dual fans, headlights, and fuel pump goes thru a 60 amp fuse to a terminal block to the relays. The wires are 4 guage battery cables to the fuse block and the ground junction block. I used #4 stereo wire from the fuse to the junction block. The wiring harness is a AAW classic 66 GTO wiring harness and the starter/alternator and ignition are wired according to the instructions. All relays ground into the junction block. Plus I have a 4.o battery cable from the back of the trans to the frame. Also the factory grounds from the fender to the frame. back of motor to the firewall. Also a ground wire from the alternator to the motor block per alternator install instructions. I only show from 12.9 to 13.2 charging volts running down the road at 1500/1800 highway rpm. To me this is too low for ideal requirements of the A/c fuel pumps/ headlights/ fans /radio. I thoughI was smart to use a dual battery terminals. I wonder if the battery is too old and tells the alternator to lower the voltage? Thoughts?

Are you sure it's that low of a voltage? Had the meter/gauge checked? It's just like putting your car on a different dyno - nothing changed but ist putting out less horsepower!!!

Yes, I had Dakota Digital check the guage. The battery reading is just a little over 13v . I also have it hooked to my computer and the HP EFI reading is 12.9 to 13.2 In garage my tester is atabout 13v free running in the garage at about 2000 RPM. I have also had the parts house check it. Battery was 12.4 and 13.2 v I replaced the wire from the alternator to down by the starter with a 10g wire. I also ran a 10g wire from the alternator around to thefirewall and back up to thr junction block at the front of the left fender to see if it made any difference. NONE!

It could be that your battery is getting too old and is presenting to much of a load for the alternator to charge. The first thing I would check is to confirm the charging wire that goes from the alternator to the battery is good. From your post it wasn't clear to me how you have that wire connected. Another thing that I have noticed on my car is that when I turn on my A/C blower to high the voltage goes from 14.4V down to around 13.8V. What voltage do you see with all accessories turned off?

The 2nd wire I ran did not make a difference. The wire was run from the alternator, back to the firewall, then up to the junction block at the left front fender. From the junction block it runs thru 2G wire to the big fuse to the battery. With the HP FEI, 2 fans, lights on high beam, A/C on high it doesn't drop more than .3 volts.

I put a loaner battery in and it charges at 14.1 V and goes down to 13.4 with A/C, Boosted dradio, fuel pump, Holly HP EFI, and headlights on high with super bright lights! I can live with that!

I am not a fan of optima batteries! I recommend you look into the Odyssey batteries. Odyssey is a much better quality battery with a 10 year design life.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com