Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Project is now down to fifty million small details. When its not 115 degrees outside I'll take it for a spin. Need to dial in the front end alignment and with no interior she's tinny and loud as all hell.

Pulled the console from my parts stash. '65 Impala SS automatic console. Spent a Saturday trimming it to better conform to the tunnel. Once the sound deadening and carpet goes in we should be good.

Also. Welded the ash tray and glove box together for more smoother look to the dash. Fabbed up an extension for the inside and metal finished it up a bit. A new longer hinge is in the works so hopefully soon I can scratch that off the list.

Next up is dialing in the sheetmetal gaps and installing the sound deadener followed by some carpet. Who needs side windows...

Jeff
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Country Flag: United States
      Jeff,

Watching your build unfold is causing me a huge problem. I now really want a Tri-5 in my garage... haha I love that air box. I may steal that idea.

Ryan

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Ryan,

if you want an airbox i can send you a set of parts.

jeff

Spent the day prepping the floors for the eventual installation of sound deadening. I purchased the Noico brand. Anything has to be an improvement on this giant tin can.

Six hours of labor and an assortment of abrasives got the floors to bare metal. 45 minutes in the shower almost got me clean.

My starting point evolved into something nice. What was utterly amazing was how super clean the sheetmetal was under whatever finish was on there. Not one speck of anything like rust or pitting. Not one speck!!!

Took advantage of that nice clean floor and added a few boxes of sound deadening. Used the NOICO brand and so far so good. What a difference in removing the 'tinny' sound from the floors. Did the underside of the roof as well. Guess its good not to have any interior to get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by JMG-63 View Post
      Designed and burned a set of mounting brackets for the Taurus fan onto the original style '55 radiator. Got it all mocked up and installed for its test fit.

Needed to trim the 90 degree elbow for the throttle body but it all fits in there and looks pretty good. This gets me oh so much closer.
      Which manufacturer did you go with for your radiator? I recently bought a direct fit HP one from Dewitts for my 55 and the drain petcock did not line up with the splash pan opening so it is on its way back. Looking for other performance aluminum options resembling the original style that actually fit.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BzrdBay View Post
      Which manufacturer did you go with for your radiator? I recently bought a direct fit HP one from Dewitts for my 55 and the drain petcock did not line up with the splash pan opening so it is on its way back. Looking for other performance aluminum options resembling the original style that actually fit.

Thanks!

I used an Autocityclassic radiator. I did have to trim the opening in the lower splash pan but otherwise great bang for the buck.

Jeff

Sound deadening really does make a big difference. I used ACC in my LS swap for my 1968 Camaro too. Great product.

I used an Autocityclassic radiator. I did have to trim the opening in the lower splash pan but otherwise great bang for the buck.

Jeff
      Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Did a 'Trim Test' back in November and decided there was just too much shiny stuff on the Bel Air to distract me.

This is what I pared it down to (well minus the fuel door trim as well). Still have tio decide if I want the door surround trim and windshield trim installed.
      Name:  IMG_0604.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  356.2 KB

This required a fair amount of time welding holes shut and doing the necessary bodywork to both front fenders and doors. At that point I made the decision to go ahead and make the car one single shade of black again. Went for a low sheen finish and got the trim installed this last weekend for good. The fuel injection flags and logo have not made it to the passenger side yet.

Name:  Jan 2021-1.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  256.5 KB

Next up for this weekend is carpet install and my side glass sits waiting its turn. The good news is my parts pile has gotten so much smaller over the past few weeks. Hoping for a nice drive this weekend.

Jeff

I'm jealous! Looking great, man.

Country Flag: Australia
      I love this build!

Carpet Time!

Started with some 3/8" thick underlayment which got fitted and glued to the floor. Yes, I did both sides...
      Name:  Carpet Insul 2.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  556.7 KB

That went so well, and it was nice and sunny and warm out so the ACC one-piece carpet came out of the box.

Name:  Carpet 01-16-2021.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  743.3 KB

A few hours later it was in place, trimmed up, edged in nicely with the new sill plates and had the seats reinstalled hopefully for the last time. What a difference!

Name:  Carpet 01-16-2021  02.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  353.7 KBName:  Carpet 01-16-2021  03.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  332.7 KB

It was a good Saturday! Sunday was back to the myriad of a million small projects and details.

The side glass is sitting in the shipping box (still) so I guess that's the next big project.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut1959 View Post
      I'm jealous! Looking great, man.

Thanks, Its been a long road to this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
      I love this build!
      Thank you.

I drove mine around for quite a while without the side glass too haha.

Been splitting time between this and my '66 Mustang build.

The '55 now has the console refurbished and installed. Used one from a '65 Impala SS. Can't find a pic of it in there. Seatbelts up next.

Front end finally got aligned at a great shop in Temecula, CA (Precision Alignment). Drove it home in Friday Southern California traffic and it ran perfect. Still no side windows installed yet but I can live with that for now.

Last pic is a gratuitous under hood shot. Still have to clean up the harness a bit more but that's the beauty of this car - I have the rest of my life to finish off the million small projects.

Name:  Alignment 03-19-2021 b.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  381.3 KBName:  Alignment 03-19-2021.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  255.6 KBName:  Jan 2021-7.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  434.4 KB

Been splitting time between this and my '66 Mustang build.

The '55 now has the console refurbished and installed. Used one from a '65 Impala SS. Can't find a pic of it in there. Seatbelts up next.

Front end finally got aligned at a great shop in Temecula, CA (Precision Alignment). Drove it home in Friday Southern California traffic and it ran perfect. Still no side windows installed yet but I can live with that for now.

Last pic is a gratuitous under hood shot. Still have to clean up the harness a bit more but that's the beauty of this car - I have the rest of my life to finish off the million small projects.

Name:  Alignment 03-19-2021 b.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  381.3 KBName:  Alignment 03-19-2021.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  255.6 KBName:  Jan 2021-7.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  434.4 KB
      Looks like a great ride! I know you'll be enjoying it while you finish it.

There's been a bit of activity behind the scenes on the '55. My EStopp system finally showed up after a month or so on backorder. Not too terribly difficult to instal, mounted it on the outside driver's frame rail, installed the switch where the console latch used to be. Stealthy. Rear cables (not shown) came from Lokar and fit up nicely.

Adjusted the GM rear calipers and need to do it again. System shows some real promise. Mid install pic before cables and a new clamp block with correct spacing for cables. Guess I'm better at the work than the documentation as of late.

Name:  Estopp 03.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  316.6 KB

Also, now that I've been driving the car I got tired of sitting so high up in the cabin. Yanked the front seat brackets and whacked off a good inch and a half. Now my face is smack in the middle of the viewing window

Next up is going to be fabbing up some mounting brackets for the front swaybar. And the side glass, yup, still sitting in its shipping box.

And Ryan, if you're reading this - I blame you! My new addition (like I needed another car...)

Name:  IMG_1427.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  210.8 KB Day 1

Last night

Name:  DHSF7166.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  384.7 KB

Jeff

That 55 looks killer and stealth
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

I love the wheels against the satin paint. Sweet Camaro.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com