Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Designed and burned a set of mounting brackets for the Taurus fan onto the original style '55 radiator. Got it all mocked up and installed for its test fit.

Needed to trim the 90 degree elbow for the throttle body but it all fits in there and looks pretty good. This gets me oh so much closer.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

The driveshaft got picked up last week and is sitting in my living room awaiting its turn for install. Need to finish plumbing the rear brakes first. Its always something!

Every time I cross out the last item on my current punch list its just a reminder that its time for a new one. Got to get writing the next chapter.

Radiator and fan installed for hopefully the last time.

Time to finish up the air intake version 25 or so. Who knows what it will end up being now.

Four day weekend offered lots of quality garage time. Focus was on fabricating an airbox.

A while back (like 2 years) I bought a rectangular air filter element for a Toyota even though I don't own one. It was the approximate size and shape I wanted. Figured they would be plentiful ten years from now as well.

Armed with a few pieces of 18g sheetmetal I set out to create the vision in my head. By the end of Saturday night I had the hole cut into the inner fenderwell and the lower box nearly complete.

Short garage day on Sunday but managed to eek out the concept for the upper box to throttle body. Its mostly comprised of an exhaust tube u-bend that got sectioned, well, its actually mostly comprised of yellow tape for now...

Should have this top piece done by the end of this weekend.

My list of things to do before the first drive is getting shorter!

Country Flag: United States
      I like your airbox and intake. If you were to swap over to a "blade" style MAF, that would certainly simplify the tube part.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I am looking at the same area to add a filter to my 58' build.
      How will that handle water? puddles or rain? we had a lot on this years Power Tour.
      Can a deflector be fabbed to limit water but allow air? Maybe a louvered Plate to cover it?

Sometimes Figuring how to fit it is harder than building it, looks good.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Quote Originally Posted by Chirus View Post
      I am looking at the same area to add a filter to my 58' build.
      How will that handle water? puddles or rain? we had a lot on this years Power Tour.
      Can a deflector be fabbed to limit water but allow air? Maybe a louvered Plate to cover it?
      At some point I need to fab up a water / dirt / small child shield. Its on the list of things to do before I bolt the fender back on. Its a long list...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I like your airbox and intake. If you were to swap over to a "blade" style MAF, that would certainly simplify the tube part.

Andrew
      Andrew, can you shed some light on this 'blade' style? I was planning on replacing the MAF anyways.

Jeff

Spent some quality garage time converting tape-to-metal. My material of choice is a 4" diameter exhaust pipe u-bend and what will no doubt be a supply of sheet stock.

Stage 1 was easy; short section of straight welded to a curve with a bunch of material cut away.

Step 2 adds in another piece of the exhaust pipe bend to make the transition. I've since welded the seams and am at stage 3 but no pics today.

No too bad for a cutoff wheel and some hammers and dollys.

Tossed out that version of the 'top'

Fabricated a simple fixture to bend the sides for an actual box. Bent up some 16gauge sheetmetal. A bit of welding and a new baseplate and here we go.

Now, for the part that keeps kicking my butt. The transition from the MAF sensor.

An exhaust u-bend gave its life up for this noble cause. Finally got the transition I can live with. All she needs now is to connect the two sections of tubing and try to take the ugly out of it.

The more I think of 1950's technology and underhood design; I think this may be in line with that.

It will be so nice to cross this off my to-do list.

Jeff

So I'll call this part "My Pleasant Diversion"

My current weekend driver is a Superformance Cobra replica with a 351W. It made for a nice sedate cruiser for the two years I've had it. Like anything else - you get used to the power and then its just not enough. The 1995 vintage engine build has certainly been outdated by a decade or two...

I had a friend who owed me a bit. We agreed to a 'trade' This is what we agreed to. A Ford Performance 427 crate engine. That ought to do with that outdated power thing.

This is the lucky recipient. The car was built in 1995 and has seen almost 20k miles since. I've only had it for two years now and am going thru and upgrading a few of the systems that need it.

Labor Day Weekend had me, my brother and a mutual friend spinning wrenches and maneuvering around an engine hoist. I had prepped the old engine a bit but we made short order of pulling the 351W, cleaning the engine compartment and stabbing in the 427W. We even took off the actual holiday to enjoy ourselves.

There was a bit of follow up work to do and I'm waiting on my new distributor to arrive so the car sits. I have a new set of tires in transit, new shocks being built and a set of beefier swaybars on their way. Its going to be on track at Willow Springs on October 31st for some shakedown / parade laps. Got a lot to do between then and now!!!

That's my younger brother muscling out the old engine. He and our friend were a huge help. I would still be messing with it by myself.

Now, back to the Chevy...

While I wait for the UPS man to drop off my new distributor I got back under the '55.

My new rear disc brake kit required some machine work on my existing axles - with Currie right around the corner I assumed it would be a piece of cake. Nope. They inspected my axles and determined them junk. Nothing $500 and a few weeks can't cure. New axles showed up mid engine swap and sat for a few weeks.

So. The driver's side axle slid right into place, the disc brake kit is all mocked up and looking good. A few more garage nights and I should have the complete rear buttoned up.

The 'test' drive is oh so close but still so far away.

Country Flag: Canada
      That 427 is still out dated power, but definitely not lacking power. LOL Looks like fun!

Nothing like having to go to page 7 to get your thread.

Been working on the 55 pretty consistently, brakes are operational, cooling system operational, and Sunday I decided to fire it up and see if it would actually move under its own power.

With open headers blasting their tune at 10:00am it made a quick trip out of the garage and into the driveway for ceremonial pics. Its been four and a half years of when-I-have-time work to get it to this point and it feels great.

Lot more to do. Exhaust parts are en-route. Hope to rack up some miles on it this summer.

Looks great!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com