Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Auto to manual swap questions

I'd like to swap my 3 speed TH400 auto in my 70 Chevelle to a 4 or a 5 speed manual.

A. for the guys that have done it, how much did it cost to professionally? I'm not good enough to do it on my own.
      b. Does anybody know of a shop around the Chicago area or Northwest Indiana?
      c. Would a good transmission shop be able to do this or would going to a "classic/muscle car" resto shop be preferred? (I would guess the latter)

thanks

Country Flag: United States
      I did this a few years ago in the my camaro. I will assume you have nothing for the manual installation. Tremec makes a great kit for exactly what you need. I think its around 4500. If you want a four speed, you can pick up a muncie used with most of the parts for around 150-2500..I have my old stuff in the for sale forum, since I just did the Tremec conversion 4 to 5 speed swap...If your going to have shop do it, figure 12-15 hours labor at 115 per hour (you may need to modify your trans tunnel as well, ballpark.

Swapping in a muncie is much less difficult task than a tremec

Country Flag: United States
      I just finished a 454/T400 to a 502/T56 swap on my 70 chevelle. Did it all myself. It’s not too bad if you just take your time with it. Mostly parts swapping with a little fab work on the tunnel.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com